Fights

Laying in bed Riley stared at the cracks in the ceiling of her room. Soon Aunt Pol would be here to wake her up for school. She had been awake for the past hour listening to the shouts and bangs from downstairs in the betting den. She couldn't be bothered enough to get up and deal with everyone yet, finding the only time she could get some peace lately was when she was in between the stages of consciousness. As even when she slept her mind wouldn't let her rest.

"Come on Riley! Time to get up!" Aunt Pol exclaimed coming in to her room. Sighing Riley sat up,"I'm up! I'll be down in a sec"
From experience she knew there's was no point in trying to reason with her for 5 more minutes.
Nodding Aunt Pol left "You better be sweetheart". Getting up Riley put on her dreadful school dress and combed her hair. If she had it her way she would wear trousers like she usually does. But try as she might the school wouldn't allow her to wear anything but the dress. All because she wasn't a boy. It was bullshit.

Riley entered the kitchen which was occupied by her younger brother Finn and Aunt Polly. "Morning Finn" Riley ruffled her younger brothers hair. "Hey! Stop it!" He shouted. Smirking she gave him one last ruffle just to annoy him before sitting at the table. She began to nibble at the toast her Aunt Pol had made for her. Riley could hear her two older brothers, Arthur and John, down the hall laughing loudly, most likely bragging about the latest whore they shagged. Rolling her eyes Riley looked up at John and Arthur as they entered the kitchen, shoving each other. "Oi pack it in you two it's only 8 in the morning" Aunt Pol said. Sitting down Arthur replied "Sorry Pol. Morning Riley, Finn". John put his arm round his younger sisters neck as he swiped her toast out of her hand. "Oi you little shit that's mine" she shouted. Laughing John winked "Not anymore". Aunt Pol glared at Riley "Watch your language young lady". Mumbling every curse she could think of Arthur chuckled overhearing her. "You should of expected that Riley, you know what Johns like the greedy git"
"Hey!" John grumbled. Smirking Riley agreed "That's true. I've been thinking lately that you're looking fatter John. You should watch yourself otherwise no ladies for you" she snickered. John clipped her ear "Watch it Riley." She was lying obviously, John seemed to never put weight on not matter how much he ate and he ate a lot.
"Where's Tommy this morning Pol?" Arthur asked. "Probably with that whore Liz" Riley mumbled under her breath.
Hearing her, Aunt Pol gave her a look "He's seeing a man about a new racing horse." Typical Tommy, it's barely light out and already doing business.
"Huh he didn't mention this to me" Arthur sulked. "That's Tommy for ya. He doesn't usually mention much to anyone nowadays" John said. Riley for once silently agreed with her older brother. Since coming back from the war Tommy had become colder, more ruthless, only sharing things with people if it was absolutely necessary. Occasionally he would tell Aunt Pol but even she didn't know everything Tommy did. Before the war Riley remembers a warmer Tommy, a Tommy who would read her bed time stories and give her cuddles every night. A Tommy who no matter what would always find time for his favourite little sister, although he would never say that as to not upset Ada. But everyone knew out of all his sibling Tommy got on the most with Riley. Aunt  Pol said it was because Tommy saw himself in her, which Riley didn't see. Said she was smart, reserved with people who weren't family and could turn the room cold with just one look like Tommy.
When they came back Aunt Pol had warned her that the boys wouldn't be the same, that the horrors they had seen would effect them forever. Riley understood this because she herself had changed during the war. She was only nine when they left meaning she had to grow up looking out for herself as she didn't have her brothers to protect her anymore. But a part of Riley always hoped her old Tommy would still be there to cuddle and read her bedtime stories. So when her brothers finally did come home, Riley was disappointed to find that although her two other brothers hadn't changed much, Tommy had.

Glancing at her watch Aunt Pol told Riley and Finn "Right you two off to school with ya". Sighing Riley stood up "cheer up lass only two more days and then it's the school holidays" John said. "Wish it already was" she said leaving the house.
Walking down the street Riley watched as mothers with their children crossed the street whilst men moved to the side as she passed. Everyone knew she was a Shelby and knew not to disrespect one otherwise they would have the whole lot after them. While Riley enjoyed the fear her family's name caused in people, she didn't enjoy the hate it caused at school. Everyone there knew who she was and out of fear of being blinded kept clear of her, leaving her friendless. It also meant that no boys took an interest in fear of her brothers, who had beaten men for just looking at Riley, let alone talking to her. And if a boy did talk to her it was usually to challenge her to a fight as it was well known that unlike her sister Ada, Riley knew how to fight like a Shelby. So imagine Riley's surprise when a blonde girl she had never seen before approached her at break time.

Sitting down next to Riley on what she had claimed as her bench, the girl smiled at her. "Hello I'm Jenny." Hoping if she ignored her she would go away Riley didn't reply.
"I'm new here. I was wondering if we could be friends. You seemed lonely." Still not saying anything Riley continued to stare at the girl with a blank look. Jenny's smile faltered as she didn't get a reaction from the mysterious girl. "I mean if you want to that is. It's just everyone else here already seems to have really strong friendships and people here aren't very welcoming". Noticing the girls Irish accent Riley was thankful that she didn't have to interact anymore with the talkative girl as the bell rang for next period. The rest of the day went smoothly without anymore people trying to talk to her. Just how she liked it.

Leaving school Riley wondered if she could ask Tommy for some help with her maths homework as the teacher had been a dick and said he expected it finished for tomorrow. Hearing a scream followed by laughter Riley realised she was next to an ally just before her street. She paused looking down it and seeing two of her classmates, Jimmy Stone and James Richmond. They appeared to be harassing that strange girl who had spoken to her that morning. Riley had fought them two idiots before when they tried harassing her a couple months back, calling her Shelby scum. No one disrespected her or her family and so she punched them both in the nose causing one of them to pass out.

Hearing the girls screams again for help, against her better judgment Riley entered the alley. "You two never learn do you" she said with confidence walking towards them. Turning around the two boys glares intensified as they saw who it was. "Oh look its the Shelby whore. Here to suck our cocks are you" Jimmy spat. The girl quickly ran behind Riley. Straightening up her stance Riley replied
"No just here to teach you two dickheads a lesson". The two cocky boys laughed "Like to see you try girly" James said.
Smirking Riley replied "Gladly" before launching her fist into his face. Shocked at her fast pace Jimmy couldn't react in time as she also turned and punched him. Riley was to busy punching Jimmy that she didn't see James in time to dodge the punch he threw at her nose. Shit Tommy was gonna kill her when he found out she got in a fight. Feeling blood rush out of her nose she glared at James causing a flash of fear to shoot through him at her cold look. "Your gonna wish you didn't do that".

After she beat them to an inch within their lives, Riley left the alley remembering the girl who was trailing behind her continuously saying thank you.
"Don't worry about it. I've been wanting to beat them up again recently anyway the annoying pricks" she said. "No really I don't know what would of happened if you didn't turn up when you did. I'm really sorry you got hurt" the girl cried.
Sighing, which Riley realised she had done a lot that day, the girl had reminded her of her nose which was covered in blood. She was in so much trouble when she got home. Not to mention her knuckles which were all cut up. Continuing to walk down the street towards home Riley replied "Not the first time and definitely won't be the last. You should try and learn some self defence otherwise people like them are gonna walk all over you for the rest of your life."
"You're right but who would teach a girl that. Who taught you?" Noticing how the girl was still following her she stoped. "My brothers. Look you should go home. You don't want anyone else bothering ya". The girl nodded "I will I live just down there actually" she pointed to the house at the end of the street. "Where do you live?"
Riley reluctantly replied "The next street over". Nodding again the girl asked "What's your name?"
"Riley Shelby." she replied expecting the girl to become uncomfortable when she realised she was a Shelby but to her surprise she grinned "Oh wow a Shelby. You guys are famous around here. Are you in the Peaky Blinders as-well?" Stunned it took Riley a second to reply. That wasn't what she was expecting "Erm no not really. Tommy says I'm to young to be apart of it yet." The girl kept grinning "Well I'll see you tomorrow at school then. Thanks again for saving me." Yet again to her surprise the girl did something unexpected. She hugged Riley so quickly that she couldn't react except become tense. Furrowing her brows Riley asked "who are you?"
"I'm Jenny your new best friend."