Interruptions

Riley met up with Jenny at 4pm like they agreed. They both decided to go to the field they went to the other day as it was a nice day again. They sat under the shade of a tree with Greymist tied up next to them. Jenny leaned upright against the tree whilst Riley layed her head down in her lap. Jenny absent-mindedly ran her hand through Riley's hair. Riley had just been telling Jenny not to approach her brothers without Riley present again as she didn't trust that they wouldn't say something to upset her. She had nodded her head to show she understood but Riley could tell something else was bothering her. "Hey, what wrong?" Riley asked with a surprisingly concerned tone. Jenny snapped out of whatever trance she was in. "It's nothing." She quickly replied as she avoided eye contact with Riley. Riley placed her hand on Jenny's which had been on Riley's chest. "It's not nothing Jenny. You've been quiet, which is not like you." Jenny sighed as she met Riley's concerned eyes. "It's my brother, Peter..." Riley's eyes widened in surprised. She didn't know she had siblings.
"He turned up unannounced yesterday night needing a place to stay. He's....how do I say... difficult. He and my Dad don't always get along, so it's been hard at home." Riley frowned at her friends distress. "Oh. What's he like?"
Jenny smiled bittersweetly. "Before the war he was really sweet you know? And then he came back and he was...just...."
"Different" Riley finished for her.
"Yeah exactly." Jenny said surprised.
Riley smiled wistfully at the sky. "Yeah my brother's were the same. I don't think anyone was the same after the war." I definitely wasn't, she thought sadly.
"I guess it's a good thing my dad left eh? No one for my brother's to clash with." Although her and Aunt Pol gave it a good shot, Riley thought amused.
"You've never mentioned your dad before..."
"Not much to say. My mum died when I was a toddler and he couldn't step up to be a father, so he left."
"I'm sorry Riley."
"It's fine. I don't really remember him anyway."
She was telling the truth, she really didn't remember. She had some faint memories of a large man with grey hair and a gruff voice but that was it. Anyway, she heard that when he was around he didn't really help much to raise them. Their mum did most of the work. Riley, regardless, had turned out just fine without parents. She had all her siblings and her Aunt Pol, she didn't need some shitty father. Although, it didn't exactly feel good that her parents left her even if her mum didn't have a choice. "Everyone always leaves."
Jenny stroked Riley's cheek as she bent over to come close to her.
"I wont"
Fuck, she hadn't meant to say that out loud, Riley thought embarrassed. Jenny smiled at Riley as she held out her pinky.
"Let make a promise. We'll be friends forever ok?"
Riley linked their pinky's together sealing the deal.
"Even longer" Riley whispered. Jenny grinned at her words with a tender look in her eyes which Riley couldn't distinguish. Jennys face slowly came closer to her's as she leaned forward. Riley felt her heart race. She's so beautiful, Riley thought. Jenny had a light blush on her cheeks as she glanced between Riley's eyes and her lips. Their faces were so close now that Riley would just have to tilt her chin for their lips to touch. Bang! Both girls jumped away from each other as thunder suddenly sounded. Heavy rain began to fall as a storm erupted in the clouds. Riley blushed as she tried to forget what just happened. She wished they would stop being interrupted. "We should get back." Jenny nervously giggled also blushing from the near kiss. Riley quickly untied Greymist. Both girls jumped on the horse as they tried to ignore the burning heat radiating off one another.

Once she got back to Small Heath Riley headed to the Garrison as John had told her their was a family meeting she needed to be present for. She was shocked of course but also happy that he wanted to include her. John had said that he would deal with Tommy. Riley was the last to enter the private room of the pub where all her family currently sat. John frowned at the sight of her as she was practically soaking, having not had time to dry off after being caught in the storm. "Where the hell you been? Swimmin?" Riley sent him an unamused glare. "Funny." 
Tommy scowled at John. "Why's Riley here? You know she too young for family meetings."
John held his hands up in surrender."She has a right to hear this." Tommy didn't stop scowling, however he did send Arthur to fetch Riley a towel as he noticed she was shivering. Riley thanked Arthur as she wrapped the towel around herself.
"There's only one man guarding the house. What's troubling you?" Tommy addressed John. John cleared his throat, nervous. "Polly, you know what it's been like since Martha died."
"God takes the best first."
"The truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me.
Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours."
"Pol, give him ten bob, for some shoes. Is that it, John?"
"Tommy, we'd be better doing this without you." Aunt Pol said annoyed at Tommy's impatience. "You don't get it Tommy. You only have Riley to worry about."
"I beg to differ" Tommy muttered. "Excuse me?" Riley spoke up annoyed.
"Enough, what's your point John?" Aunt Pol interrupted.
"What the kids need is a mother...So, that's why I'm getting married."
Riley blinked. "Sorry what?"
"Does this poor girl know you're going to marry her or are you going to spring it on her all of a sudden?" Tommy asked.
"I've already proposed and she said "yes"." Riley was shocked. Something's suspicious otherwise John wouldn't be so nervous, Riley thought.
"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang." Tommy said.
"It's, er It's Lizzie Stark."
Riley frowned as Tommy, Arthur and Aunt Pol snorted with laughter. Riley had to suppress a chuckle of her own but managed it as she saw John's expression.
"John, Lizzie Stark's a strong woman and I am sure she provides a fine service for her customers." Aunt Pol chuckled.
"I WON'T hear the word. Understand? Do not use that word." John said in a tone Riley had only ever heard him use when he was fighting.
"What word is that, John?" Tommy asked knowingly.
"You know what word that is."
"Everybody bloody knows!" Arthur chuckled.
"Everybody can go to hell."
"Whore? That word? Or prostitute? How about that one?" Tommy mocked him.  "Right, I want it known if anyone calls her a "whore" again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats and blow the word back down into their hearts." John said with his face red with anger. Riley could practically see the steam blowing out of his ears.
"Men and their cocks never cease to amaze me. John, Lizzie Stark never did a day's work vertical." Aunt Pol exclaimed.
"Seriously John, the amount of women in this bloody city and you picked her." Riley said as she shook her head in disbelief.
"She's changed. All right. People change. Like wi-wi-with religion."
"Oh, Lizzie Stark has got religion, eh?"
"No, no, she doesn't have religion. But Well, she loves me."
Riley's face softened at her brother's words. She could tell he really believed Lizzie Stark had changed for him. He really is an idiot, Riley thought.
"Now, listen, Tommy. I won't do it without your blessing. But of all the people in the world. I want you to see it as brave."
"It's brave all right."
""Brave" is going where no man has gone before. With Lizzy Stark, John, that is REALLY not what you'll be doing." Riley smirked as everyone chuckled at her response.
"Listen, Tommy." John said as he grabbed Tommy's arm. "Welcome her into the family. As someone who's had a hard life. All right? Because, I need someone. All right, the kids need someone."
Riley frowned as Tommy glanced at her. Before he could reply Finn ran into the room, panting.
"Tommy! We've been done over!"