Grace

Riley entered the Garrison to see Grace with her ear pressed against the private room window. Riley frowned as she saw the barmaid so obviously eavesdropping. She moved to the bar as she watched Grace take no notice of her, too invested in listening in. Anger flashed through Riley as she watched Grace. I knew that wench couldn't be trusted, she thought. Riley slammed her hand on the bartop. "Anything I can help you with there Grace?"
Startled, Grace jumped away from the window and turned to a very annoyed Riley. Riley kept her facial expression blank as she questioned the nosey barmaid.
"Oh erm. No I was just..." Grace felt her throat grow dry as she couldn't think of an excuse. "Just...what? Sticking your nose where it's not wanted?" Riley bluntly said. Before the panicked Grace could say anything else the private room door opened with two men and Tommy exiting. Riley watched as Tommy approached the bar as the two men left the pub. He placed two glasses on the bartop as he smirked over the events that just occurred. He sensed tension and so looked up to see Riley's narrowed eyes directed at Grace. "Everything alright Ri?" Tommy asked. Riley looked at a confused Tommy and then back again at a fidgeting Grace.
"Yeah everythings fine Tom-cat" Riley decided to let it go as she couldn't exactly prove anything was untrustworthy of Grace at the moment. It's just a gut feeling, Riley thought.  Tommy glared at her as he heard her use his nickname in front of Grace.
"I thought you only allowed singing on a Saturday." Grace quickly said not wanting Riley to say anything more on the matter.
"Whiskey is good proofing water. It tells you who's real and who isn't." Tommy replied as he leaned against the bartop next to his sister.
"And what did my countrymen want?"
"How is that your concern?" Riley rudely interrupted. She knew she was coming across as a bitch but Grace was really starting to annoy her. Tommy smacked the back of her head. "Riley. No need to be so rude."
Riley glared at the bartop as she rubbed her head."They're nobodies. They drink in The Black Swan in Sparkbrook. They're only rebels because they like the songs." Tommy decided to answer after his sisters interruption. Grace glanced at Riley hesitantly before she asked.
"You have sympathies with them?"
"I have no sympathies of any description."
"Their accents were so thick, it's a wonder you could understand them. Next time, I could translate."
Riley rolled her eyes at Graces attempts to weasel her way into meetings.
"You'd work for me?"
"I thought I already was."
She wanted to throw up at their no so subtle flirting.
"So you are coming to the races?" Tommy questions to which Grace only smiles. "Two pounds, ten shillings." Tommy stated as he reached in his pocket to retrieve the money. "Buy something red. To match his handkerchief." Tommy said before grabbing Riley's shoulder.
"Whose handkerchief?" Grace questioned but they were already out the door.

Tommy and Riley walked down watery lane. Riley knew what Tommy was up to with taking Grace to Cheltenham and so decided to call him out on it.
"Your gonna give her to Kimber aren't you."
Tommy glanced at Riley as he lit himself a smoke. "Yeah I am. Why? Do you not approve?"
Riley grabbed his cigarette and took a puff. "I have no opinion on the matter"
Tommy quickly took back it back as he scolded her for smoking. He smirked as he said.
"Wow no opinion? Who are you and what have you done with my Riley eh?" He chuckled. She glared and shoved him as he laughed. However, she too chuckled as she was still in a good mood from her day with Jenny and Greymist. "I'm not that bad am I?" Riley asked frowning. Tommy smiled as he put his arm over her shoulders. "Nah Riley. You're fine, absolutely fine." Riley smiled back at him as she wrapped her arm around his waist.

Their good mood, however, was ruined when they got home to find a very serious Aunt Pol. "Are you armed?" She asked Tommy. "No."
"Then I'll tell you. Ada and Freddie Thorne were married today. They defied your orders, they haven't left the city." Tommy began to pace back and forth as he tried to deal with the information. Riley looked at her Aunt Pol and Tommy confused. "Them being married is a good thing right? I mean the baby won't be a bastard and Freddie will be there for Ada and the baby." Aunt Pol shook her head a her nieces words. "It's more complicated than that sweetheart."
"I'll deal with it." Aunt Pol said to Tommy, "Thomas I'll deal with it."
Tommy stopped pacing and faced his Aunt. "Where are they?"
"Freddie's comrades have safe houses. Why do you want to know?"
"To send them flowers why do you think?" Riley snorted at Tommy's response. "Would it be so bad if they stayed?" Riley decided to speak up. Tommy glared at her. "Stay out of it. Better yet go to your room you don't need to hear this." Riley furiously glared back at him. "What the hell! I'm a part of this family too ya know!" She yelled. Tommy and his mood swings really pissed her off. Aunt Pol, always the mediator between the two, affectionately rubbed Riley's arm. "It's late sweetie. Why don't you go up and I'll bring you something to eat." Riley sent them both one last glare before she stormed upstairs. God! I hate Tommy sometimes! she angrily thought as she slammed her bedroom door shut. So much for a good day.