Chapter 21

Present Day

Penelope's POV: I looked up as I heard Josie walk from the bathroom. Noticing how pale the girl's face was, I frowned in concern before glancing down at the crumbled piece of paper in her hands. "What is this", I asked, taking the paper from her hands curiously.

"I found it in the bathroom. It was beside the sink", she explained as I read it over quietly. 

Oh... 

"What? What is it", Hope asked as I felt my breath catch.

I shook my head as Hope continued to pace around my office. I sighed, propping my head up on my head. Honestly, it's a wonder how I get anything done with how much Hope and Lizzie come barging into my office in the middle of the day. "Hope, stop", I pleaded. "You're starting to make me dizzy", I huffed as the tribrid looked over at me anxiously. 

"What do you think", she asked as I looked over the wedding ring on my desk.

"Hope, the ring looks perfect", I told her as she fiddled with her hands.

"But do you think that Lizzie would like it", she asked.

"Granted, the girl has expensive taste", I sighed, looking over the ring. "I'm sure she'll love it", I assured. "Besides, if the girl won't marry you because of how some lousy ring looks after you spent all this work trying to impress her, then she's certainly not worth it", I said as Hope nodded silently. 

"Wait! You think she'll say no", she panicked, causing me to close my eyes in irritation as I thought about banging my head on my desk. "Penelope, I'm serious", she exclaimed. "I really love this girl, and I just want everything to be perfect...", she said as her eyes filled with tears.

"Whoa, not in my office", I exclaimed, getting up from my chair as I made my way over to her. "I'll help you any way I can. Okay", I assured, trying to get the girl to stop crying.

"But how will I know when it's the right time", she sniffed as I lay a hand on her shoulder comfortingly. 

"You'll know", I said.

"Oh my God", I gasped, covering my mouth as I looked over at Hope.

"What", she huffed in annoyance.

"You didn't know", Josie whispered, staring at Hope with sorrowful eyes.

"Know what", she frowned. "What are you talking about", she asked as I silently handed over the paper. I held my breath, watching the color drain from her face.

"She was pregnant, Hope", I explained as tears quickly filled her eyes. "Lizzie was pregnant before she died", I whispered as her hands shook violently. 

Watching her sway on her feet, my eyes widened as her body dropped to the floor. "Hope", I exclaimed, dropping to the floor next to her as I looked her over worriedly, taking note of the blood trailing from her nose. "Shit. Not now", I panicked. "Help me get her to her bed", I pleaded, looking over at Josie as the brunette struggled to pick up her feet.

________________________________________________________________________________

Josie's POV: Helping Penelope lower Hope to the bed, I breathed heavily as I looked over at her breathlessly. "What the hell was that, Penelope", I exclaimed as she hurried to the bathroom to grab a damp wash cloth. It was clear the girl knew what was going on if her earlier statement was any indication. 

"Now is now the time, Jojo", she said, wiping away the blood from the girl's nose. 

"Not the time?! She just-"

"It's nothing", she told me firmly.

"That is not nothing", I argued. "People don't just pass out for no reason-"

"Just drop it! Alright", she snapped, causing me to wince at her tone as she breathed deeply. "It's...not really my place to tell anyone", she admitted shakily as her voice broke. My eyes softened as I moved over next to her, taking the cloth from her hands as she looked over at me tearfully. Silently pulling her into a hug, she tensed before slowly melting into my arms as she wrapped her arms around me as silent tears fell down her face.