Chapter 26

Penelope's POV: I shifted in my seat, trying to collect my thoughts before looking up at Josie anxiously. "Josie, the night that Lizzie died...", I trailed off as Josie leaned forward in her seat. "I wasn't...", I breathed, clenching my eyes shut painfully.

"Oh God...", Hope breathed tearfully. "I never got to hold my kid", she admitted as a sob slipped from her lips. "Our little baby", she sobbed out as I struggled to hold myself together.

"Not everything is about you", I snapped, causing the girl to recoil as Josie looked over at me in shock. 

"Penelope", Josie questioned as I breathed deeply. 

"Look after Hope. Take care of Hope. Make sure she doesn't have a fucking meltdown", I exclaimed, pushing myself to my feet. "I have feelings too", I pointed out. "And has anyone even thought to ask me how I feel", I fumed. "I was friends with her long before you sank your claws into her. Or have you forgotten", I seethed.

"She loved me-"

"She was miserable", I yelled, causing her to clench her jaw. "And you didn't even notice...", I said as my voice cracked. "I'm sorry", I whispered. "I can't...I can't be here right now", I sniffed, rushing out the door.

"Penelope! Wait", I heard Josie shout as I slammed the front door shut. 

I laughed to myself as Lizzie hit Hope over the head with a pillow.

"Hope, get up", she giggled.

"Go away", she grumbled, causing Lizzie to roll her eyes.

"Hope, come on", she laughed, hitting her again.

"I said leave me alone", Hope yelled, sitting up in bed as she held her hand out, sending Lizzie flying across the room as she hit the wall roughly.

"Lizzie", I exclaimed, rushing her to side to help her up as she groaned painfully. "Are you okay", I asked in concern as she nodded thankfully. "What the hell, Mikaelson", I exclaimed, looking back over toward the bed to see the tribrid covering her mouth in horror. 

"Lizzie, I'm so sorry", she apologized tearfully. "I didn't...", she whispered, causing Lizzie to pull away from me to hurry across the room and pull Hope into a hug. "Please forgive me...", she cried as Lizzie rubbed her back soothingly. 

"It's okay", she whispered. "It's okay. You didn't mean it", she soothed as Hope melted in her arms.

I waited for Hope to say something, but she didn't even notice. She didn't notice how the girl limped across the room, or the pain in her eyes. 

She didn't even know what today was...

"Penelope", Josie questioned, stepping out onto the porch. 

"I lied", I whispered, causing Josie to frown in confusion. "I wasn't out drinking that night. I wasn't partying", I told her. "I was working late", I admitted. "And I had got a call...", I supplied.