Chapter 6

Josie's POV: I sniffed, wiping at my eyes as Penelope set down a cup of tea in front of me. "It was Lizzie's. She usually made it whenever she was upset about something", she explained. "She called it her magical calming tea", she chuckled sadly. Taking a sip, I nearly spit it back out as another choked sob escaped my mouth, causing the girl to carefully take the cup from my hands to keep me from spilling it. "What's wrong? Did I get it too hot", she asked me in concern.

"No. No, it's...it's good", I assured, holding my stomach. "I...I used to make that for her when she was upset or sick", I laughed tearfully. "Thank you", I smiled sadly, taking the cup back as Hope walked back into the room with a box. "What's that", I asked, setting the cup down on the table.

"No idea", Hope shrugged as I looked over it curiously. "I was cleaning out her closet and...", she trailed off.

Moving forward, I pulled open the box before pulling out a set of VHS tapes as a small smile spread across my face. "I remember these", I whispered in awe. "When we were younger, Lizzie used to love making videos. She would even carry this old video camera around with her...", I laughed tearfully. "Do you mind if I...", I asked them anxiously.

"I don't kn-"

"Of course not", Penelope interrupted, sending Hope a sharp look.

Nodding thankfully, I got from my seat before looking around the TV, smiling as I spotted the old VCR that Lizzie owned. I used to tease her about using these when it would be a lot easier to just use a DVD, but she refused. Sliding the tape in, I pressed play before our old bedroom appeared on the screen.

"Is this thing even on", a little girl grumbled to herself, smiling hesitantly into the camera. "Hi, I'm Lizzie", she waved, gaining confidence. "And I-"

"Lizzie", another voice interrupted as a small brunette entered the room. "Have you seen Mr. Grumbles", she asked with a small pout. "I can't find him", she huffed as Lizzie shook her head.

"This is Josie", Lizzie continued, grabbing the girl's hand before dragging her closer. "She's my best friend in the whole wide world", she grinned, squeezing her gently. "Say hey", she whispered, causing Josie to shift on her feet awkwardly.

"Um...hi", she waved shyly.

The video cut off as I laughed tearfully. Taking it out, I set the tape back in the box before grabbing another one, frowning to myself as I spotted something written across the front.

Watch me

"Was that you", Penelope asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah", I answered.

"What is it", Hope questioned, looking over my shoulder.

"I have no idea", I muttered, looking it over curiously before sliding it into the VCR and rewinding it.

Pressing play, I frowned to myself as my sister appeared on the screen, sitting on the same couch.

"Hi, Jo", she started, smiling into the camera sadly before a knock sounded at the door. Getting up from the couch, she disappeared somewhere off camera before quickly returning to her seat. "Sorry about that", she apologized, adjusting the camera slightly. "I just bought some furniture to go into the house, so there's a lot of people coming in and out", she explained, cutting her eyes somewhere off screen as someone asked something. "No. No, not right there", she shouted. "A little to the left, Greg", she instructed.

"It's Ted", he shouted back.

"That's what I said", she huffed, turning back to the screen. "Listen, I know that you're probably mad at me...", she sighed. "And I deserve it, but I just couldn't stay there anymore", she admitted. "I was following my heart. Like you're always telling me to do", she said.

"That doesn't mean you had to move to America, Lizzie", I said tearfully.

"I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind when you told me that", she nodded as if she somehow heard me. "But you and mom were always so busy all the time, and I just...", she trailed off sadly. "There was just no time to say goodbye", she admitted. "And my plane left that following morning...", she laughed, tearing up.

"Hey. What time is mom getting home", she asked, grabbing a cloth to wipe down the table as I took a sip of water.

"Um. I think she's supposed to be getting home around midnight", I supplied, screwing the cap back onto the bottle before grabbing the broom to sweep the flour off the floor as Lizzie's shoulder's dropped.

"Oh...", she sighed in disappointment. "Well, we still have our weekly movie night together, right", she asked me hopefully, causing me to wince.

"About that...", I spoke up, causing her to look up at me curiously. "I'm gonna have to cancel", I admitted, causing her to look over at me in disbelief.

"What", she said quietly. "Jo-"

"I know, but I'm in college now, and I have to start focusing more on my school work", I reminded. "I don't have time for childish games anymore, Lizzie", I retorted, watching her face fall. "I'm sorry", I sighed. "I didn't mean-"

"No. It's...it's fine", she reassured, setting the cloth to the side. "I think I'm gonna turn in a little early", she said, causing me to glace at the wall clock by the door.

"It's only four o'clock", I frowned.

"I'm just not feeling well", she mumbled, hurrying from the room.

"Do you want to turn it off", Hope asked me in concern. "Josie", she called, waving her hand in front of my face.

"Hey, listen...", Lizzie spoke up. "Can I talk to you guys for a minute? It's kinda important", she asked as I adjusted the bag on my shoulder.

"Not now, honey. I have a very important case that I need to be working on", mom apologized.

"Can we talk about this later? I'm gonna be late", I said impatiently.

"Nevermind. It's not really important", she stated.

"Are you sure", I asked hesitantly.

"I'm sure", she smiled before I hurried out the door.

"She was trying to say goodbye", I whispered.

"What", Penelope frowned, sitting up straighter.

"She was trying to tell us goodbye before she left, and we...", I choked out. "We were always so busy, and...oh God", I gasped as my hand flew to my mouth. "What have I done? All these years...", I whispered. "I...I never got to say goodbye", I whispered to myself. "The two most important people in my life are gone, and I...", I cried. "I've lost everything", I got out. "And it's all my fault", I exclaimed, sinking to the floor in tears.