28. Stay

King Baxston

☕︎☕︎☕︎

☕︎☕︎☕︎

I sit in the overnight holding cell, ass numb from the metal bench. My elbows resting on my thighs, I sit with a hunched back since sitting up makes my stomach burn.

I passed out sometime after Roman kept throwing an endless cycle of punches to my head. I woke up to the sound of sirens not sure how much later, but probably not much. Quite a few people were still around because I watched them scatter at the sound.

I guess it was a good thing they showed up because as I helped myself up, the Price brothers didn't kill me.

I'm used to beatings. When I used to be on drugs, I'd start to fight with people intentionally. It felt better to be in physical pain than to be hurting on the inside.

But this beating was different. It didn't numb the emotional pain brewing inside of me.

The brothers watched me, carefully following my every move waiting for me to fuck up as I stood on my feet. I didn't fuck up, but I'm sure if the cops weren't there, that they wouldn't even need a reason to kill me after what they saw last night.

I could hardly see through my eyes so I had to wipe the blood off just to see. Breathing felt like a chore and my head felt like it was repeatedly slammed against a boulder.

I didn't drink, but it felt like I was drunk. It was like the world was running while I was stuck in the same spot unable to keep up with everything around me.

Reese kept coming to my mind. I could see her laughing, her white teeth on display with her mouth wide open. Her brown hair, which falls just a few inches below her shoulders, covered the sides of her face as her head drops. She laughs wholeheartedly and with her soul so she puts her hand on her tummy as it aches. That doesn't stop her though, she continues laughing until her chocolate brown eyes tear up and her lungs beg for a break.

I smile and even hear her laughter ring in my ear, but then I feel a hand on my forearm. An officer comes to face, yelling barbarically. I'm brought back to reality as the officer turns me around and puts me in cuffs.

She was just here, I think to myself as I look around. The lights were still dim making it harder to see anything.

Where'd she go?

The officer turns me around dragging me through the halls as people stand on the sides filming.

"N-no! Where is she? Reese!" I yell looking back hoping that she can hear me. The officer's hold tightens and another officer grabs the opposite arm. I move my shoulders and thrash around trying to get free. "Reese! I didn't do it! You have to let me go! I have to explain it to her!"