7. Our mistakes are not a reflection of your lack of authority or presence

☕︎☕︎☕︎

☕︎☕︎☕︎

"Okay, what's wrong? Reese. Reese!" Sarah yells and I break out of my daze. Everyone at the table is staring at me.

"Yes?" I question. Why are they all staring at me?

"You've been oddly silent the whole day," Jake concludes.

"You noticed?" I ask shocked. Jake notices me? Damn.

"Uh... yeah?" he replies.

"What's up with you? We haven't heard a single remark or sarcastic reply," Everleigh complains.

"Nothing, I just skipped breakfast this morning so I'm not energized."

"That is a blatant lie. I can see the syrup stain on your shirt," Philip says. "That and I can smell the coffee from your mouth."

"Actually?" I ask as I breathe out on my palm and try to smell my own breath. He was right. My breath does smell like coffee.

"Okay, you-"

"Hey, Reese," Roman says placing his hands on my shoulder. I look up from the corner of my eyes and spot him standing over me from behind. "Hey to you all too."

Everyone else nods at him quietly.

"What's up?" I ask him.

"You left early this morning. So did Gray."

"Yeah," I reply.

"Did you guys talk it out?"

"Nope."

"Oh."

"Yup."

"Well... that's it I guess. I'll see you after school? Landon's driving us home."

"Okay."

"Okay," he bobs his head before leaving to go sit at the table with his own friends.

"Someone really hurt you, huh?"

"You could say that," I shrug. Not in the mood to talk anymore, I start peeling the banana that was on my tray and eat it.

☕︎☕︎☕︎

"You okay?" Landon asks as we walk to his car. Landon's walking in between Roman and I.

"I'm breathing."

"That's as good as it gets, for now, I guess."

"Yup."

A car blocks our way and we all stop. The window rolls down and a man dressed in formal attire indicating that he is a chauffeur reveals himself.

"Mr. Price has requested Reese Price's presence at the office," he speaks. I look at Roman and Landon. To prove his legitimacy, the man pulls out his company card and displays it. As I read it off, I realize that it is real.