5. It's King's Land

☕︎☕︎☕︎

☕︎☕︎☕︎

"Before you question anything, let me explain," Sarah starts. We got to the diner just a few minutes ago and hogged maybe one of the last tables available. The diner is a lot more crowded than I expected.

It's called Jacke's Twenty-Four-Eight Diner and aesthetically maintained. It looks like it could be in any movie with bright pink walls and turquoise and white highlights. There are neon signs hung up on the walls adding even more light than the whole wall of open windows. There are barstools lined in front of the counter for quick sit-ins and around twenty to twenty-five larger tables for people like us.

It's pretty loud in here especially with all the people and the old eighties music playing in the background.

I only recognize a few people from school, the rest are unfamiliar faces. They're dressed a lot edgier with street style rather than put together and high end compared to what the students at Weston Art mostly wear.

"This diner is located in the middle of the city splitting the low class and high class people. Most of the kids here are from Weston Secondary. Our schools have been rivals since the nineteen fifties, but this is the one place we both promised to keep it civil, but off this field, anything is fair game," Sarah explains.

"Wow, and I thought I was dramatic," I let out a small laugh as I flip open the menu.

"Can that, I got you," Philip says taking the menu away from me.

"Hey, Cindy!" Philip calls over one of the waitresses. A girl with red hair and fair skin walks over to us with a big smile.

"My favourite crowd, let me guess, the usual?" she smiles sweetly.

"You guessed it, but add one more of everything to the order for her," Philip nods his head towards me. Her eyes fall on me and she's confused for a second before she flashes me a smile.

I'm sat on one side in between Philip and Everleigh with Philip being closest to the end of the table. Opposite of us is Jake who is the closest to the end following Sarah who is sitting across from me and then Zoya.

"I don't recognize you, you must be new. I'm Cindy," she extends her hand.

"Reese," I smile and shake her hand.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Reese. You're going to love the food here," she says.

"I'm a foodie, I'll like anything that I can eat to be honest," I truthfully reply. I notice how young she looks and wonder if she should even be working right now.

"Let me get you some food and then you let me know what you think after, okay?"

"Will do," I smile.

"I'll be right back," she says before heading behind the main counter.

"Isn't she a little young to be working at this time?" I quietly question the group. I don't want her to hear me and offend her in any way, so I keep my voice low.