Top Of A Building

"You're going to help me kill them."

I blinked. "Aren't you a hero?" I respond. Hawks smiled conspicuously, eyes sharp. He leaned back in his seat and I crossed my arms, not giving an inch on what I thought be exposed.

"Well..." he trailed off, cocking his head as he looked at me, crossing his leg over the other. "We both want to go down the path of the righteous. Yet we both are sinners, of the worst type, aren't we?"

I tapped my finger. He saw the motion, smirk widening. Hold back, Mira. Hold back.

"What do you mean bird shit?" I asked, putting annoyance into my voice, doing my best to make it sound not-strained.

Hawks uncrossed his legs. Changing his positions so much. Hiding something. He leaned forward, clasping his hands and propping his elbows on his knees. The lighting shaded half his face, casting a dark shadow on the wall with his feathery wings.

"The League of Villains are more connected to you than you might believe." The way his eyes glinted sent my body straight as a stick.

"Do you know about illegal experiments on how to use blood advance healing and regeneration?  I think it began... ten, maybe eleven years ago?"

I finally reacted.

********************

The night was warm, loud and stuffy. The heat within the heart of Tokyo, people roaming everywhere, lights and cars fuming. It made the summer night more unbearable. It made me miss even more the quietness of my neighborhood.

I bit off another piece of my ice-cream bar, the chocolate covering cracking satisfyingly in my mouth. I bought it at a random vendor lining a street. I ran another hand through my now-short hair, still in wonder at how different it felt. Less heat against my back and neck, lighter feeling when I moved my head. The soft brush against my nape, when I leaned forward, comforting, in a way.

I dropped my hand and stuffed it in the pocket of my leggings, narrowly avoiding being rammed into by a group of wild friends. Ahh, how I miss mine. If Kaminari was here, he and Mina would probably do something crazy in the middle of the street and not give a fuck. And I would laugh and enjoy them. 

A breeze wafted over me, not helping with the stuffiness of the air. I paused at a red light, waiting to cross. People chattered all around me

I didn't know exactly where I was going. Ever since I got smacked by Yuuko, and ran out in anger, I've been blindly walking the streets. I stopped at a bench, then at a ramen shop to get dinner when I was starving. I kept walking afterwards.

I know Best Jeanist's agency is close by, but it's way past intern hours and I doubt I'd find Katsuki in this wide city. So where was I going? Nowhere?

Yup, about right. 

The white crossing sign signaled, and I got swallowed up in the crowd of late-nighters. So many were carefree, just walking around for the fun of a city night. Some were coming home from work, some just heading out. Tourists, natives, workforce and enjoyers. Then here I was, finally calmed after ready to hit the shit out of my cousin for the stupidest decision she made. 

You are my successor, no one else.

I groaned. I absolutely hated the business world. Give me violence - give me one clear person I have to defeat, one clear person I have to rescue. Give me dangerous missions and bad circumstances - but at least make it easy to judge a situation based on their presence.