Chapter 24

"Lyly, aren't you excited for the training?", Sandy bent forward, covering half of mouth with her palm as she whispered.

Lately Ethan has been acting out of context. Plus, I am far more desperate to figure out the leitmotif behind the sinister smiles Ivan threw at me.

"Ly!" Sandy was frustrated and tightly clutched my shoulders, giving me a violent shake.

"Yes??", I said.

We were at the Trial Grounds in navy blue suit gears for a duel-training. The stadium ground was relatively noisy with students whispering over another, inadvertently making a ruckus.

"Snap out of your thoughts, Ly.", Sandy said, availing herself in a domineering resonance.

Why does this girl order me around? Same goes for that brother sibling of hers.

"Students, I will decide your pair with whom you will confront an elemental duel.", Professor Zanny commanded in a tone which could easily overpower Sandy's. "Lomov Carter and Costanza Lydia, step forward."

"You are allowed to combat, but you can only 'disarm' one another.", she warned. "Don't overstep. The winner will be awarded with Contribution Points and these points will be added to your overall academic performance."

"Greetings to the Grandmaster." I and Carter bowed to greet the Grandmaster who was going to examine our progression.

"Begin.", he said, hooking the corner of his lips.

I carelessly put me hands inside my pockets while Carter stood in front of me. He grimaced as he thought 'You are standing in a wrong posture'. He almost believed that he would win.

"What is that girl doing?"

"Arrogant!"

"Sore loser."

The onlookers commented.

Carter placed his leg forward and brought up few large pieces of stones. By chance if those mammoth boulders hit your head, you will be dead in one shot. The stones were launched at me and I remained calm without taking my hands out of my pockets.

When the stones were few inches away from my physique - obscuring me underneath their giant shadows, I put forward my right hand and clicked my fingers. The irregular boulders cracked into tiny pieces revealing my smiling face behind the crumbling stones.

"What!"

"That was...too strong?"

"Heavens! I knew she was a monster."

'Too easy', I mused.

"That was actually my best move...", Carter remarked.

I surged blasts of air charging them at him and he stomped on the ground, shaping it into a stone wall to stop the uncomfortable gales of wind. Then he punched the artificial stone-wall, reflexively, sending the currents of wind back at me.

I took my battle stance and narrowed my eyes, absorbing the air currents into my bones. He is not gonna give up...

Carter used the 'Granulation' method to generate a shower of pebble stones and I dodged each one of them quite gracefully. Then he quickly changed them into larger stones – one strike from them and I would bleed to death. I hastened my breath and thumped the ground, jumping up in air. I stepped on the stone using them as stairs and kicked the comparatively small cobbles. Carter continued with his rain of stones which deadly exhausted me. I popped up my lower leg and leaped ahead, raising my right leg.

I targeted his chin and in a flash...

BAM!

He was thrown a few steps back. He re-shaped the earth to support him from falling. "You are really good at this...", he said with a grin.