Chapter 15

I had to stay locked up in my room for a day. Of course, there is no other reason for my  confinement expect for me lacking bod gears. There was no one from whom I could borrow. Finally, I asked Anne to take down my measurements to buy me new garments. Ergo, I can step out from my room with a kosher garb.

Anne and Veri were not present when I dealt with Elle, but they must have heard about it since they are being so obedient now.

Ultimately, a piece of good news rang in my ears.

"My lady, his grace the duke has arrived." 

At last, he is back from his prolonged trip.

"Anne, wait!" An idea hit me.

"Yes?? My lady."

"Have you already bought new dresses for me as I had ordered?"

"No my lady, not yet. Veri is about to head out for the city."

"Stop her! Can you arrange a meeting for me with his grace?"

"Wh-what? My lady why you want to meet his grace?"

"I have got something to complain."

"Al-al-alright, lady.", Anne gulped hard and left me alone in my room.

I was lying on my bed with countless thoughts realming around my psyche, disrupting my sanity. Why the hell Rose hasn't showed up yet for putting up a real farce against her maid, Elle! It really bothers me...

"My lady, you can meet his grace.", Anne re-joined me with a slime face. It must have taken her entire courage to bring up my personal request in front of the duke.

"Was he busy?"

"No, his grace is taking his time-off after his peregrination."

"Is he in a good mood?"

Anne thought for a while before answering, "Yes, he is affable."

That's enough for me to know. I just need to evince without exhibiting any tardiness.

"It's been a while, your grace." I bowed down paying my tribute before the grand duke. "I wish you well, your grace and hope you had a safe voyage."

"I appreciate your well wishes, but..." He studied me momentarily and then said, "Why are you wandering off wearing your casual outfit? You should have changed prior to our meeting."

It is strictly taught among the nobility that one needed to wear different clothes for indoors and outdoors, and if someone were to head out in the middle of a day while accidentally wearing an indoor dress, it would cause rumors of her shamelessness to spread quickly. Such weird rules actually makes my head ache. Honestly, these valuable indoors wears are too grand even for a commoner.

I had a bona fide appearance, but my lips wanted to grin.

"A maid set fire to my closet, ruining all my clothes. I apologise sincerely for being such a disgrace.", I said in most humble manner possible.

"WHAT! Who did it?"

"It was a maid named Elle. And there's a girl called Chika..." I sniffed. In his vision, I was someone pitiful.

"Bring those two here, right now!", the duke waved his hands towards his servants.

That was my motive.

***

"Father!" Rose jostled inside with Elle and Chika as her companion after hearing the summons. "What are you..." Rose stiffened at the sight of me.