Chapter 2

"What a pretty little girl you are!" the duke exclaimed

"What a pretty little girl you are!" the duke exclaimed. The duke was a burly person with red hair and neat short beard. He sure was a tall and well-built man, someone who would give you the vibes of security...someone whom you could trust that no matter what happens, he will be there to protect you and you could seek for shelter under his wings...He was a perfect fatherly figure.

"My lord, I am flattered." I said bowing down

"You remind me of my late wife in her young days. I loved her since she was a kid like you. Hmm...good old days. We attended the same school. Yes, she had that same black hair and those pretty green eyes."

How could I forget. The reason the lord Duke adopted Lydia was because she resembled her dead wife Clara Norman. Damn using me as a replacement for a dead person. Nope, I am not the original Lydia. Even if Lydia looked like Ethan's mom he didn't end up liking her. So, it sure is useless. I won't accept same fate as her. Or else who knows I might end up dead as well. I have taken over her body, I will live a peaceful life this time.

"If you do not disagree, I wish to adopt you as my own daughter..." the duke continued

"No my lord. I don't want to indulge myself in activities of a respected family such as the Norman family. It really is an honour, but I don't deserve it. I am just a simple poor girl and don't wish for such luxurious happiness. I will be highly obliged if I just get a place to stay, some food and clothing."

"Are you sure?" the duke was really surprised. Ethan who was standing beside me all along was now staring at me with wild eyes. Anyone would want, I mean die for the title of being a member of Norman family. The Normans were highly respected in the society and had been in good terms with the emperor. On the other had I had rejected the title of Norman family's young miss. It was quite a shock for them.

"Yes, I am my lord. I am happy enough. I don't want the title of Norman family's daughter."

"That's really good that you are not greedy like others. I am impressed. As you wish I will give you a place to stay here and you can have all the necessities you need. Don't mind the price tag of things anymore. You can have anything you wish for as you will be in close ties with Norman family. As you are 11 years old now, next year I will be sending you off to school and then on you can stay in the dorms. You need not care a bit about expenses as long as I am there." The duke smiled warmly.

"Thank you so much, my lord. I am eagerly looking forward towards my education. I earnestly appreciate you generosity. I am ready to repay you with my life." I replied to him

The duke giggled. "You surely are good girl, I will arrange maids to look after you right now. You can go back."

Ethan was quiet all along. From his expression I was expecting that he had expected me to accept the offer of being his so called 'step-sister' readily. Really? Does Lydia's appearance suggest that she is a greedy person. In my eyes I don't think so. Lydia was kind in the story at first. I think seeing Lydia steal bread and involving herself in a fight had made Ethan have this bad impression on her. But is stealing Lydia's fault? She is bound to do so. She is so much like me. Her father and mother passed away when she was young and she had to starve for so many days, wore ragged clothes and ate from garbage and still had a bad ending. I really pity her.