Chapter 10

After few days, the Grand Duke left the mansion to attend an urgent business. Norman family is always the first house to be notified when it comes to politics and trade. I was aware of this gospel as spawned in the original novel. I knew post-haste that it's time for me to endure the affliction. Rose has already gained her control over the ménage. Even Duke's apprentices have no say against the motion. My movements inside the house have been limited by her and most importantly I am banned from entering the library.

I was sitting at the tea table in the West Wing's refreshment hall in the evening. There are separate Refreshment Quarters for each Wing (i.e. North, East, West & South). The Refreshment Chambers are meant for tea-time, breakfast and snacks while there are only joint meal sessions at the dining hall for lunch and dinner. White rays of sunshine intruded into the spacious tea-room through the window and revealed the beauty of many tan hues on my skin. Anne prepared a cup of tea for me and Veri spread out the fabric on the table.

"There you are!" Rose bulldozed inside the Refreshment Hall, disrupting the stagnant peaceful environ.

"Pardon? Shouldn't I be here? I guess, you are the one who should be in the East Wing's Refreshment Hall. What brings you here in West Wing?" I said, pointblank.

"Yeah, you are right. You shouldn't be here."

"Eh, why?" I remained seated at the table and sipped tea from my cup.

"I mean you should move into the slaves' lodging. That would suit you the best." Rose folded her arms and gave me an obnoxious look.

"Madam Rose! This...", Veri interrupted.

"The Duke, his grace is her patron for now.", Anne defended.

"Are you kidding me? I haven't returned for three years and you all already forgot who the first lady of this residence is...Such poor memory." Rose snickered.

"May I ask why should I dwell with the servants?" I asked with a child-like bright smile on my face in this awkward situation. I wanted to make sure that the joke was on her.

"I heard, my brother found you on the streets. I guess, he intended to take you in as a slave. Therefore, my maids will lead you to your rightful place." Rose said, casually.

"Why do I get a hunch that I will be thrown in the dungeons instead?" I got up and neared Rose who was standing at the end of the table with her subordinates. I looked up at her. I would have slapped her right away if she did not happen to be taller than me. Damn it! I barely even reach her chest.

Rose peered down and faced me. "You are smart! Right, stray dogs like you are lower beings than a slave. So, I won't exert any force if you obediently follow me to the dungeons. Don't worry, the dungeons in the Norman estate are quite cleansed."

Clean? Are you shitting me?! The dungeons were described as shabbier than hell in the novel. "Nah, you got me wrong there. Why do you think I will be obedient?" I laughed, hysterically.

"You! Lynn, John – Seize her!"

"Don't even dare to! I am the Duke's esteemed guest." I yelled at the two men, who were dressed alike the mansion's guards. They paused and glanced at Rose with confused faces.

"Guest? Such a lowly creature, eating and sharing the same table with Norman family. How impudent!" Rose yelled back at me.

"You have a bad habit of looking down on people. Change it or else you will lose your support in public." I enacted as if I was pitying her with my index finger placed on my lips.

"And who is going to believe a nobody like you?" She lifted up my chin by force.

"It's always hard to bury the truth. Will you enjoy the long course of lies?" I preserved my pitiful tone.