Chapter 7

*Ethan Norman (POV)*

I placed the shining turquoise finger ring on my palm. I struck the rhinestone lining with the tip of my finger nail. This ring is hand-made right? Lydia prepared it for Reiner? Does she like him? I want to throw this ring away...drown this ring into the waters of the lake, so that no one ever finds it again. Not because I feel jealous of Reiner, but because I am not used to these kind of feelings. 

These are all new to me...

Even if she wanted to give this ring to me instead of Reiner I would have tossed it in the lake because I don't think it feels right to me to acknowledge her as a precisian. 

When did I feel so anxious around a person before? 

The last time I felt something similar was when my own mother abandoned us. After that day I despised my father and was abusive towards him. 

I never felt any strong emotions towards any such events. Though fire was running in my veins, I thought my heart had turned into a frozen block of ice. Now, why this girl suddenly comes up out of nowhere and stirs such ardour in me? I can't stand it! On top of that she is nothing special, but just an ordinary girl...there are flocks of alike people out there.

Me being a fire mage have been bound with so many responsibilities while she on the other hand is free, cheerful and lively as ever. She can enjoy the happiness of childhood like an ideal kid whereas look at me, I need to run errands on behalf of the duke, learn about business which is revealing the dark side of a noble life, basically corruption. I am already tired of being a noble, I am sick of it. I don't know why others dream of being a noble and lead such a sickening life. Money doesn't solve anything, money is useless. I want to test her...I want to test all her hidden qualities, I want to test her patience, her bottom line and how much she can endure.

I proceeded to throw the ring, but withdrew my hand hastily when I heard Reiner's voice, "Ethan, where are you?!"

I pocketed the ring and said, "I am here, come here."

"Anything wrong? You look a bit unwell...er, you look pale."

"Nope. Are you and Lydia close?"

"Her? Yes, we indeed are friends, but I didn't get many opportunities to have a proper chat with her. I met her once in the garden when she was taking a stroll."

"What do you think about her?"

"Er, she is different. She is kind and knows how to comfort others, I think she is easy going, straight forward."

Reiner speaking for someone? I thought he only knew how to complain about others. Lydia must have left a good impression on him.

"Do you like her by any chance?", he asked me.

"I think she is unique indeed. Do you know she can shoot a bullet?"

"Huh?", he gave me a twisted face. "Her frail wrists can handle a gun?"

I chuckled, "At this point we are really underestimating her."

"What do you mean? Should I buy what you are saying?"

"Believe it or not, it's the truth." I sighed.

"Tell me more." Reiner by now had climbed up a chestnut tree and was sitting on a branch, resting his back and swinging his legs.

"She says rose is the color of death." I remained unmoved beneath the tree, leaning against it's trunk.

"That's interesting."

"Anyways how long are you planning to bunk your knight-training classes?"

"That...I am pretty bored."