Chapter 3

*Ethan Norman (POV)*

"Who does she think she is?" I banged my hand on the study table.

"Calm down young master..."

"Butler Liu please go look for that girl and tell me what is she doing right now. Immediately!"

"Ye-yes young master."

What game is she exactly trying to play? I thought she isn't like those worm girls who try to slither to become a noble without any hard work, but why is she insisting on staying here? Is she an avarice after all?

I don't know what my father sees in her. Why did he take her in? There are loads of abandoned kids like her on the streets who aren't able to fill their belly. If so, then we should help them all, why would she be an exception? He is trying to send her to the school. Doesn't he know that our family will lose face if she is unable to manifest her magic core. Moreover there are only few fire users in the Capital. And fire magic is exclusive to the Norman family. If people saw her that she isn't a magic user and is unable to access her magic core then she will become a target for our enemies. How would I be able to protect her then? Maybe for now I should go and teach her how to read and write before she joins the academy or else she will be humiliated on her very first day itself.

Butler Liu entered my room in a hurry. "Young master, Lady Costanza...Lady Costanza is in the library...she...she is reading.", he panted.

"What?! Isn't she supposed to be an illiterate? She grew up on streets...then how will she be able to read?"

"I am not lying master. Why would I? And young sir, why are you looking down on her?"

"I am afraid that she might not be a magic user. Not everyone is a magic user. She is just a commoner. So, chances of her manifesting a magic core is very low. Tell me, did you really see her reading?"

"Yes, young master."

"Ah! She is putting up an act."

"..."

"Heh...My father asked me to take care of her." I smirked making Jeremy tremble. 

"She has got nothing else to do in this mansion. I should go check on her." I headed towards library. When I reached there, I found that indeed she was reading. I didn't appear in front of her, but peeped on her through the gaps of bookshelf. I guess she hadn't noticed that I had entered the library. I watched her read, her bright emerald eyes focused on the page of the book and her tiny pink lips mouthed the words she was reading. By the way what was she reading?

Suddenly she exclaimed, "Potions is quite interesting! Umm...I think I too* will master alchemy soon enough."

[*Note: By 'I too' she is speaking of Lydia from the novel. Lydia in the original novel was an excellent asset in potion making as already mentioned in previous chapter]

What does she mean by 'I too'. Who is she talking about? And she is really reading potions?! Alchemy falls under category of advanced studies and she is interested in it? I think I underestimated her. 

"Ah! I am tired...I want a nap."

I watched her slowly falling asleep. I couldn't make myself to look away from her. I took a chair and sat down beside her. I glanced at her pink lips...they were smooth, I tucked few strands of her hair behind her right ear. I wanted to touch her hair again, but restrained myself. Her skin is as fair as snow. 'Yuki', I gasped. She looks like a white kitten. The sun rays struck her bright face making it look brighter. 

I snapped my mind out of such thoughts. Isn't she an ordinary commoner?  

A family's pedigree doesn't matter, I have even heard of few magic users in the commoners society. They are competent and rare; they maybe from low born families, much of muchness yet very talented.  But why it has to be you? The more I reflected on it, the more annoyed I was.

All of my accumulated anger threatened to explode at once. My gaze turned cold and I gnashed my teeth. 

"Agh! Stay away from me, or else I will kill you!"

Huh? She wants to kill someone or is someone chasing her? Is she having a nightmare?