Chapter 9

I just realised that there are  people who are reading and voting this novel...Thank You so much for the support! So, I might as well keep pouring my heart into this writing. I am honestly glad and you may leave comments/reviews, so that I can give the story a better frame.

I am really sorry because I have been making typos/grammatical errors. I will correct them as soon as possible.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was scrutinizing through the books, I temporarily borrowed from the library and my curiosity was piqued when I perceived an ostentatious arrangement for someone's arrival in the manor through the window. Maids placed on either side of the aisle connecting the mansion to the main gate, knights posted at the entrance and there were the butler and several servants, all of whom poured their blessings on the gifts piled on the walkway. I also noticed the Grand Duke and Ethan stationed themselves with a brilliant welcoming smile at the gateway for this bigshot's arrival.

"My lady, the first young miss arrives today." Veri said after discerning me attentively.

Ah! It's about time she showed up. "I know", I vexed.

"So, You are not going to greet Madam Rose Norman?"

"No Veri, there's no need. No one from the official household invited me to greet Lady Norman and moreover I am merely the Duke's esteemed guest who is under his care. A trifling greeting  would be valueless for Lady Norman from a lowly being like me."

"I see." Veri nodded obediently.

I leaned on the window sill as I saw a 15-16 aged girl with short flaming red hair got down from the carriage and bowed before the duke. The Duke accepted her polite deportment and maintained his composure. I was quite shocked. Who the heck tends his own daughter like this? She came back home after three years and he only countenanced her with a bow?!...I expected him to pull her promptly in a tight embrace, shedding tears of joy and expressing his love for his only daughter at their reconcilement. But there was none. I saw an inkling of anticipation on Rose's face, but the intimate gesture never came from her dad, rather Ethan leaped on her, hugging her tightly and exclaimed, "I missed you noona!"

"There will be loads of opportunities for us to catch up on things we have missed. Oh! There are so many gifts...for me? I feel so honoured! These colourful presents make me feel delighted." She picked up a box from the stack of largesse endowed on her and unwrapped a green ribbon.

"What were you doing all these years? Tell me about your school." Ethan urged

"Sure thing! I will after I have had some rest. The journey has wrecked me." Rose walked inside the mansion, her graceful movements resembled that of flowing water in a clear stream. At once, I was assured that Rose is a notable woman. In fact what else could I expect from Norman family's upbringing?

By now Ethan had noted me surveying them. He looked up at me and our eyes made contact. I quickly swayed the curtains and ducked, picked up my book and rummaged through it's pages to hide my embarrassment. I eventually engrossed myself in reading the book. I have been studying hard because if I wish to survive here, I need to adapt myself to the laws of this world. There were notes all over the pages scripted by me to simplify the chronicles and I ended up pinning a new piece of note on the sheet. After a while I swivelled to face Veri and asked her, "Don't Lady Norman and the Grand Duke get along well?"

"They do, Miss.", Veri answered. "But the Grand Duke can't show his affection for his children publicly according to Norman family's customs. It is a liturgy in the Norman family to not to express endearment openly to refrain themselves from spoiling their kids."