seventeen

meredith was still reveling about the fact that clay had the small possibility of liking her back even until the next morning. they texted a few times throughout the day before, when she hung up on him while he was sleeping. she still felt slightly bad about it, but if she kept him on for longer she'd probably start panicking.

getting up early, singing a little ditty, was a little bit uncommon for her. she couldn't help it, though. to be reassured that her feelings for someone weren't unrequited was like someone picking her up from her pit of wallowing, setting her on the edge so she could see where she was trapped. it was a lot better than what she would've done if she didn't talk to karl, which was most likely just try to avoid him as much as possible.

but she still had absolutely no idea how to express her feelings, and she felt like just randomly asking him out over text wasn't a very good idea. she decided the best thing to do was probably just wait for a while, or at least until she figured out how to show emotions. which, to say the least, was still not going to be for a while.

when she got a call, the corners of her lips perked up in anticipation of seeing clay's name on the screen. they still stayed there when she found out it was just wilbur, but she liked talking to him, too.

"hey," she answered, putting her phone on speaker as she went over to feed stitches.

"mer, i just finished my song. you wanna hear?" he asked excitedly, and she could hear his hands clapping in joy like a little child.

"yeah, play it." she went back to her phone and sat there, listening to the recording being played. on the last few verses, she heard her voice being blended into his, making her grin.

"eh? what do you think? i told you our fucking voices worked together well!"

"okay, okay. i don't completely hate my voice in it, not bad. i still think the first part of the song is better though." she said, answering honestly.

"be quiet. anyway that's all i called you for, now bye—" he hung up mid sentence, leaving meredith laughing. she decided to call clay while her phone app was still open, waiting a couple seconds before he picked up.

"hi!" she said.

"uh—so i'm like, in the middle of setting up a manhunt right now." his voice sounded strained. "can't figure out who i want the fifth person to be, though."

"oh, am i interrupting you?"

"oh, no! no no no, it's fine. actually, since you're here...do you want to be the fifth person in the manhunt?" he asked.

"sure? i don't even know who the other people are but okay. wait—five?!" she exclaimed. over the weeks, she watched a couple of his manhunt videos and figured that he would stop at four.

he made a humming noise. "yeah, i was able to beat four of them. oh, it's george, sapnap, bad, and antfrost who's a friend of ours. i mean, i'm a little more worried now that you're coming along but i think they're probably going to slow you down and be like 'pumpkin! come save me!' or some shit like that."

she laughed, "alright. be prepared to lose, bitch boy. we're starting soon?"

"yeah, just hop onto discord and i'll add you to the group." he said, ending the call. she rubbed her hands together, opening the app on her monitor and got ready. it had been a while since she met someone new, but since antfrost was a friend of theirs, they had to be nice, right?

"hello?" she said as she joined the voice call.

"yo!! pumpkin, what's up?" sapnap called.

"pumpkin!" bad said excitedly.

"hi boys, can someone send me the server ip?" she asked, opening up the discord chat and scrolling through.

"just did." a new voice said.

seeing as she didn't recognize it, she assumed that it was the other person. "oh, are you antfrost?"

"yeah, just call me ant, though. nice to meet you!"

"nice to meet you too, ant! okay, let's take this green bitch down!!" she laughed, joining the server.

"language." bad deadpanned.

"oh, yeah. my bad. can i really not curse today?" she asked, mainly directed to clay.

"i mean i can always just mute it whenever you curse but that'd be pretty difficult to do it during fight scenes and stuff. refrain, today?" he asked.

"yeah, okay." she said, spinning her character around to load the chunks. she sneaked and waved at her four teammates, staring directly at clay's character as she waited for him to come back from his afk 'break.'

while he tried sneakily coming back and running away, she was right on his tail, yelling for the others to come. ant decided to stay behind to mine while the rest of them continued chasing him, and meredith got him down to half a heart with her fists. somehow, he had time to get a stone axe, so they retreated after he killed george.

throughout the gameplay, it was mostly the hunters talking and meredith was getting to know them while she was playing. there were multiple instances where she went off alone to try and get him, and many, many times she almost killed him.

at one point, she brewed an invisibility and strength potion, sneaking in behind him at the end portal and punched him through the portal.

"wait, what?!" he yelled as he got flung in, not prepared to fight the ender dragon yet.

"oh, dreeaam." she called in a low voice. "come out, come out, wherever you are..."

"stop." he said, his voice getting flustered. "where are you?!"

"that's for me to know and for you to find out, pissbaby." she smiled, sneaking up behind him and getting ready to punch him into the void right before he enderpearled onto the island.

"pissbaby? really? i thought green boy was it." he said frantically, running in circles around the island as he assumed she was chasing him. he was correct.

"there's a lot of nicknames i can call you." she said. out of the corner of her eye, she spotted the rest of her team loading in the end. "over here! he's by the middle!"

they ran over, barely missing him as he got launched up into the air by the ender dragon. he mlged when he landed at the edge of the island, stopping for a second to heal. he didn't see meredith's still invisible character run up beside him, taking her sword and knocking him deep into the void.

he yelled. "no!! i don't have any more pearls!!"

"yeah, baby, let's go!!" she whooped, putting her armor back on and jumped around with the rest of them.

"you carried." george laughed, punching her.

all she replied with was a simple, "i know."

clay rolled his eyes in real life, and slammed his hands on the desk. "damnit! god, that was a good play by you. i didn't even see you coming!!"

yet again, she just smiled and clicked her tongue. "i know."

now trending on twitter:

#dreamkin
fans are changing dream and pumpkin's ship name because phi's readers are mean and are bullying them about drumpkin. also based on the recent manhunt that dream uploaded that featured pumpkin, while he could've chosen anyone else that would have been much easier to escape from.