71

⊱ ───── { Jeno } ───── ⊰

"Are you fucking insane!!" Jisung cries out as he stares with wild eyes at Jeno.

"What choice do I have? Jaemin is stuck in Hell with a demon leading him to Yuta, we don't have a backup plan, and killing him means passing the responsibility onto me. What then? What happens to Jaemin and I?" Jeno asks before bluntly stating, "Assuming we even get as far as killing Yuta."

"If this transfer of power thing is true, then what you do is you find a better replacement. I know you know that letting Xiao take your place is the worst decision you could ever make."

"Jaemin's life is on the fucking line here, Jisung!" Jeno bellows as his fingers curl in frustration before they settle into the position of fists, "I'm not gambling his life on whether or not we can find him before he reaches Yuta! You can't stand there and tell me that if you were in my place and Chenle in his, that you wouldn't be just as desperate to save him!"

"There will always be another way," Jisung tries to argue.

"We don't have time to find another way! Jaemin could be in his possession right fucking now! He could be being tortured as we as speak, and we're not down there trying to save him! So unless you have a better idea, then I don't know what to tell you!"

Jeno's eyes begin to burn as hot tears form in them, effectively blurring his vision. He thinks about the feeling of Jaemin's corpse being an empty vessel with no soul attached to it. A soul that no longer existed. The pain he held in his heart as he heard Jaemin use his final breaths to request one last kiss, knowing he was going to die. Jeno knew that if he returned to Hell to face yet another round of losing Jaemin, he wouldn't be able to handle it. Even if he could just reverse time once more, he wasn't sure he could mentally cope with losing the man he loved so deeply for a third time. How many times can one person suffer through such unbearable loss before it finally breaks them completely.

"Jeno..." Jisung utters quietly, "Did...did you reverse time to bring Jaemin back from the dead?"

Jeno turns his head away, unwilling to answer his question. Teardrops fall from his eyes and land on the wooden floorboards of his sacrifice room. Memories of Jaemin's first death flash in his mind as if coming to torment him even further. Both instances of Jaemin dying were because of him. Even now with his life being threatened, it was his fault. It was the reason that Jaemin kept being put in danger time and time again. From the moment they met, all he's done is curse Jaemin with the constant threat of something or someone trying to end his life.

Maybe if he could reverse time once more, he would be able to go back to the day he met him and refuse to ever answer the door. Surely that was a plausible plan B instead of giving Xiao the throne. Then none of this would have ever happened to Jaemin. He could live a long, happy life with Renjun, demon-free. Including from himself. Jeno didn't care what would happen to himself. Living in misery by his father's side while attempting to give Jaemin the life he could never have with him was a very tempting fate he was close to choosing.

"Jeno, stop," Jisung speaks over his thoughts and redirects his attention back to him once again, "I know you would do anything for Jaemin, and I know you're desperate...but...if your goal is to save him so you don't have to lose him, why would you go out of your way to force him away? Even if you tried, your father would still want you to bring about the apocalypse and...and I think you know where I'm going with this."

And he does.

His actions would become pointless the minute his father requested for an archangel soul. Either Jeno would have to kill Jaemin or the other archangel, and if he chose not to sacrifice Jaemin, it would most likely cause Taeyong to preemptively kill Jaemin so that he could face Jeno in battle as an angel. If that were to happen, then Jeno would have to either kill him or be killed by him. There was no other outcome.

Even if Jaemin fell in love with him at first sight and couldn't find it in himself to end Jeno's existence, Yuta would never allow Jeno to let him live. And under the circumstance that Jeno were to give his life in hopes to spare Jaemin, it would mean absolutely nothing if his father got his hands on him, which he would most certainly do to rid the world of the last remaining archangel.

Each and every outcome of this would result in Jaemin's death so long as his father lives.

The only option left–no matter how delusional or unlikely to is–is to find the sword and kill Yuta before anymore lives can be taken by him. Angel or not. Jeno knows that attempting it would not prove to be an easy feat, but it was all he had. And besides, Jeno nearly dying from the last time he had reversed time, he was unsure of if his body could handle another round of it. He was determined to make it his absolute last resort in case Jaemin doesn't make it out alive.

Still, this thought brings him back to whether or not Jeno could survive pushing Jaemin away long enough to seal his fate as the devil and force them to be apart for eternity? Was he willing to give up being with him so that he could ensure Jaemin's safety?

In truth, he didn't want to. He was madly in love with the man already, and Jeno knew that he would carry those memories of him into the new timeline where they would never meet. Not only would he rob Jaemin of the chance of knowing him, but he would also force himself to spend forever yearning the loss of his soulmate. It was a tragic fate, and a deep sense of dread fills his entire being at the mere thought of ever having to do such a thing. As he told Jaemin earlier, he would rather die than to be apart from him...but...what if that was the only means of being able to truly save him and keep him safe?

"I...I don't know what to do, Jisung..." Jeno whispers brokenly as his chest pangs in such a painful way that he felt as if he were having a heart attack.

Jisung takes a deep breath through his nose before stepping closer to Jeno. He pulls him into a tight embrace, holding him in a comforting manner as Jeno silently cries in his arms.

"Jaemin loves you," Jisung speaks softly, "His love for you will always be a constant, no matter what. He loves you so...so much."

Jeno presses his face deeper into Jisung's shoulder as he holds his breath as to try and prevent himself from making any sound as the taller man's words nearly turn him into a sobbing mess.

"I can't force you to choose one way or another. I know both options are terrible....just...make sure you take Jaemin's feelings into consideration when you choose what to do. You won't be the only one dealing with the aftermath of your decision. This affects him just as much as it affects you, whether you want to believe that or not," Jisung goes on, "I don't know what exactly can be done about Xiao if he takes over as the devil or if that's even possible for him to do, but I do know that making decisions for Jaemin regarding whether or not you allow him to be with you won't just hurt you, it'll hurt him too. What happens to him might be collateral damage to you, but it will be so much more to him. You should know this by now."

Jisung rubs a few circles into Jeno's back before stopping and taking a deep breath.

"Just please keep the consequences of your actions in mind before doing anything impulsive and reckless."

Jeno tries to lift his head and respond, but before he's able to, the door to the room swings open.

"Ugh. Hurry up and get your asses into the study. You're wasting time standing around hugging each other," Jeno hears Xiao speak from the doorway, "Unless you want Jaemin to be captured and tortured severely before you reach him."

"We'll be in there in just a second," Jisung grunts as he attempts to shoo Xiao off, "Go away."

Jeno hears the door shut aggressively, and Jisung pulls away from him. He looks Jeno in his puffy red eyes with a deeply sympathetic expression.

"I trust you to do what's best and what feels right," he tells him, "Now, trust yourself."