21

Jeno trudges down another flight of stairs that were identical to the last three sets. Unfortunately for him, a black feline sits at the bottom of this one.

"You look upset," the cat hums.

"Not fucking now, Xiaojun," Jeno hisses as he steps over him.

"We're using full names now, are we?" Xiao inquires, "Well, Lee Jeno, did your father tear into you like a bear mauling an annoying human that won't leave it alone?"

"Shut the fuck up," he hisses back as he trudges straight for a door and yanks it open. He tries to slam it on Xiao, but the cat is much faster than he is and darts inside. "What the fuck do you want from me?"

"What I want from you? No, no, it's what you want from me," Xiao speaks in a cryptic manner.

"No, absolutely not. Your deals always come with a catch," Jeno snaps.

"And you'd be correct, but your father is also Satan, so can you truly say you aren't used to it by now?" Xiao points out.

"What the fuck do you want?" Jeno repeats himself.

"Tell me if this sounds familiar: your father wants you to capture an archangel, but you only know of Jaemin. Only one other exists, leaving you only two options: take Jaemin to sacrifice, or find out who the other archangel is. Well, harming Jaemin isn't an option for you. No, you want the other's name, but Jisung just can't seem to weasel it out of Chenle, but..." Xiao rambles on, "I know who the other archangel is."

"How the fuck do you know any of this?" Jeno hisses.

"Maybe check for sleeping cats in your study before ranting on about your failing plans to bring forth the apocalypse," Xiao says condescendingly, "Now, do you wish to know who the archangel is, or do you want to risk being forced to sacrifice Jaemin?"

Jeno hesitates. He's incredibly desperate, but he does not want Xiao to know that. No, the more power he has over him, the worse it'll be.

"No, I'll find another way," Jeno denies, "Besides, I don't care if it comes down to sacrificing Jaemin. It's not a preferably satisfying end to our conflict, but it's one I'm willing to take if it means fulfilling my role."

Xiao begins to chuckle at this as he leaps onto Jeno's bed. He turns in circles twice before settling down.

"We both know that's a blatant lie. I mean, do you really expect me not to remember that stupid fucking ring on your finger? The one you made to reveal if Jaemin was in the presence of a demon that wasn't you?" Xiao remarks, "I'm sure that if a little birdie told your father you had the ring, he would be very, very upset with you. He may even force you to end Jaemin completely."

"You wouldn't fucking dare," Jeno growls through gritted teeth.

"Oh, I would," Xiao chimes as he expresses some sort of sick pleasure from Jeno's frustration, "Now, do we have a deal or not?"

"Tell me what's in it for you," Jeno demands without a second thought, "I want to know what you gain from this."

"Accept the deal, and I'll tell you."

Jeno purses his lips, huffing and puffing angrily as he tries not to outright strangle Xiao. He didn't want to take the deal, but he has much more leverage over him. Even if Jeno got rid of the ring, his father would certainly recognize that Jeno had ulterior motives in doing the things he was. He would see straight through his plans and know he was protecting Jaemin, yet again.

He had no choice.

"Fine," Jeno caves in, "Just tell me what the name is."

"Ah ah ah, no. You have to do something for me, first," Xiao denies, causing Jeno to throw his hands up.

"What the fuck is it, then?" he exclaims.

"Capture Hendery and bring him down to Hell for me," Xiao requests, "Bring him to me and I'll give you a name."

Jeno stands in place, staring at Xiao unblinkingly.

"Wh-thats it?" he questions in a state of deep confusion.

"That's it," Xiao confirms, "I wish to speak with him and be face to face with him again. Give him over, and I'll make all your deepest worries vanish with one little word."

Jeno's thoughts take a long moment to properly form a speakable response.

"How do I know you even know who the other archangel is?" Jeno asks.

"You'd be surprised the kinds of things you find out by threatening the right beings," Xiao hums, "But you wouldn't know that, you're too much of a coward to legitimately threaten people to get what you want. A shame that the son of Yuta can't find it in himself to step on people, shed blood, and blackmail a few demons to get ahead. Pussy."

"Fuck off," Jeno snaps, refraining from arguing his resume of despicable deeds which deter from the point of the conversation, "I'll get you Hendery, but you better hold up your end of the deal. If you don't, I'll kill him, then I'll kill you. Got it?"

Xiao chuckles as he gets up and stretches, arching his back extremely high as he does so.

"We'll see about that," he challenges Jeno, "Enjoy your rest, but remember, the clock is ticking. You best not keep me waiting."