04

"J-Jaemin?" a wide-eyed boy with disheveled hair gasps as his brain struggles to register Jaemin's presence, "I...I thought you were...you were..."

"Dead?" Jaemin asks.

"Well, yeah," the boy responds as he pulls the sleeves of his hoodie down past his hands, "I was worried that...that..."

Suddenly, Renjun leaps forward and wraps his arms tightly around Jaemin's neck.

"I'm so happy you're okay," Renjun says, giving Jaemin a fluttering feeling in his stomach. Renjun had never been this way with him. His taunting and harsh jokes and vague aggression were his primary means of showing his fondness for Jaemin. He never once hugged him like this, nor told him how him being safe made him happy. It was an odd feeling, but one which Jaemin welcomes wholeheartedly. Suddenly, Renjun pulls back and lets go of him with an uncomfortable cough.

"I can't believe you ditched me for demon boy and managed to get kidnapped by him," Renjun shakes his head, "Not to be that person, but I fucking knew it was a bad idea to be around him."

"He didn't do it," Jaemin denies, "Someone else did."

"What?" Renjun blurts out, "Then who did, Jaemin? What happened to you?"

Jaemin shakes his head dismissively.

"I don't wanna talk about that right now. I just came by to say goodbye," he informs Renjun.

"What? Why?" the latter's voice comes across in a panicked manner.

"I have to leave town," Jaemin explains vaguely.

"Why? What happened? Is your aunt forcing you to leave? You know you're an adult, now. You can leave and she couldn't do shit-" Renjun hastily tries to form a solution.

"She's not the reason I have to go. I'm leaving on my own..." Jaemin admits.

"Oh..." Renjun murmurs, "So you're like...running away or something?"

"I...I guess you could say that," Jaemin answers awkwardly as he rubs the back of his neck.

"You shouldn't go alone. Let me come with you," Renjun offers almost helplessly.

"You can't."

"Why not?"

"Because it's not safe."

"Even more reason to take me with you."

"Renjun, no."

"Jaemin, please. I don't want to lose you again," Renjun's pleading eyes grow slowly redder and more vibrant; he whispers weakly, "Don't make me lose you again."

Jaemin's chest aches as his stomach sinks. Was Renjun saying what he thought he was? No, of course not.

But what if he was?

"Renjun...wh...what do you mean by that?" Jaemin inquires with caution.

"C'mon, Jaemin, I know you're stupid, but you're not that stupid," Renjun tries his best to joke despite the pain in his eyes growing stronger and more apparent.

"I...how come you're telling me now?" Jaemin asks as his heart slowly breaks.

"You know my parents, Jaemin. They would have kicked me out if they knew..." Renjun remarks as his voice cracks.

"I just...I wish I knew before...before..."

"Before you fell for demon boy?" Renjun utters weakly, "Yeah...I know. I just...I couldn't...if only I had the courage to tell you, right? Then maybe you wouldn't have suffered through half the things you did."

Perhaps Renjun was right, but Jaemin would have fell for Jeno, eventually. If only he didn't already know he was doomed to love Jeno for the rest of his remaining days.

But Jeno was hellbent on breaking them. He didn't care if Jaemin ceased existing. Hell, he might possibly be the reason he'll die...again...

Jaemin deserved one last moment of feeling loved and accepted, right?

Jaemin steps inside and kicks the door shut behind him with his foot. He takes Renjun's face into his hands and leans in, kissing him softly.

To Jaemin's surprise, his heart flutters despite the looming guilt hanging over him. He and Jeno were over, but he couldn't shake the feeling of betrayal of kissing his best friend not even an hour after Jeno had stated he did not love him, anymore. Still, he couldn't deny how nice it was feeling how sweet Renjun's kiss was, and how warm he felt inside at his soft touch as he places his hands over Jaemin's.

When their lips part, Jaemin feels his chest ache even more than before. He knows that as of the current standing, he cannot take Renjun with him. He can't even let him know where he was going.

"Wait for me," Jaemin whispers, his breath grazing Renjun's lips.

"I'll always wait for you," Renjun answers.

Jaemin steps back, his hands hesitating letting go of Renjun before finally dropping to his sides. With one last nod to himself, Jaemin exits Renjun's home, stepping out into the cool night air.

"Mark," Jaemin calls out, waiting for the older boy to appear before him.

But he doesn't.

"Mark?" Jaemin speaks once more in a far more questioning tone.

Suddenly, Jaemin feels a pair of arms wrap tightly around him.

"Master will be pleased," the voice behind him whispers in a hissing manner.

It's then that the person behind him yanks Jaemin's head, exposing his neck.

"Renjun!" Jaemin screams at the top of his lungs as something punctures into his neck. He can feel something being injected into his veins, finally alerting Jaemin to the fact they were using a syringe.

Jaemin tries to struggle as the man takes out the needle, but he grows groggy and tired at an alarming rate. He tries to fight fading into unconsciousness, but his will diminishes faster than he can process the situation.

Soon enough, he fades into the darkness, allowing it to overtake him.