02

⊱ ───── { Jeno } ───── ⊰

"Happy birthday...to me...happy birthday to me..." Jeno sings softly in such a quiet, saddened voice that it barely made an echo in the grand hall, "Happy birthday...Jeno...happy birthday...to...me..."

Jeno speaks the final word with a heart so heavy, it felt as if it were coated in lead. He blows out the twenty candles on a large, two tiered cake with black icing in a single, weak breath despite giving no effort. He leans back in his throne made of gold for the structure and velvet upholstered cushioning of a deep red colour to sit in. He sighs deeply. He felt like a king sitting on his throne in his father's never ending palace, but it seemed as if becoming a king of sorts came at a price.

Jeno hadn't minded not celebrating his birthday in the past year. He was so busy with Jaemin, his father, and Xiao that he hardly realized it had passed. He had gotten used to spending his birthdays alongside Jisung and Xiao for a while, but having two talking felines to accompany you was far better than not having anyone at all.

Jeno considers summoning Jisung, but he knows all too well that he is busy. Jeno suspects that he is visiting Chenle in secret, but he does not currently wish to call him out for it. So long as he understands who his allegiance reside with, Jeno will show him mercy.

A faint knocking sound comes from the large doors to enter the hall. Jeno slowly turns his head to look towards it. He blinks slowly with an emotionless expression. He flicks his hand and allows the doors to swing open with a loud crash as they swing and hit the wall. Jeno squints his eyes, trying his best to make out who was standing on the other side of the door. Unfortunately, they are shadowed in darkness, refusing to let him see as they enter the room.

Is that a cake?

Jeno nearly rolls his eyes before a sudden shock jolts him, causing him to sit up straight and have a delayed reaction to the sound of the voice conveying these thoughts. Jeno flicks his index and middle fingers downward, lowering the cake onto the ground beside his throne.

"Long time, no see," Jeno speaks in a low voice as he attempts to keep his tone serious rather than surprised, "I can't say I was expecting to see you. After all, you've been untraceable for weeks on end."

"So you admit you were looking for me," Jaemin points out.

"At first, yes. When I realized you didn't want me to find you, I decided to focus on more important matters," Jeno admits, "What the fuck do you want from me?"

Jaemin steps into the warm light provided by the large fireplace and stares Jeno down with a sort of calm, collectiveness that Jeno was struggling to achieve.

"We need to talk," Jaemin says.

"There is nothing to discuss," Jeno hisses.

"Jeno, I'm sorry," Jaemin ignores him, "I know what I said to you may have sounded final and like I didn't love you, anymore, but you have to understand the mindset I was in. The last I saw of the real you was you trying to murder Xiao. I was tormented for what felt like years while trapped down here...Jeno, he used you against me to fear you."

Jeno hesitates speaking. He may have had room to make rash decisions back on earth that were fueled by his emotions, but he knows that every decision he makes now has consequence.

"I love you, Jeno," Jaemin says quietly, "Please...come back with me. This isn't you."

"I hate to break it to you, but this has been and always will be who I am," Jeno snaps, "Being the spawn of the devil is all I know. You and Taeyong tried to sway me, but all of it was built on lies and deceit. You tried to convince me I was something I'm not, and it gave me nothing but pain and sorrow."