72

"Sungchan?" Jisung says with eyes as wide as planets, "You sent Jaemin down to Sungchan?!"

"Who's Sungchan?" Jeno asks as he looks between him and Xiao as his anxieties grab him by the throat and relentlessly squeeze tighter and tighter.

"He's an old demon. He was one of the first demons to ever exist," Xiao informs him as he leans his back against the wall on the opposite end of the study with his arms crossed.

"Yeah and he feasts on any and all beings. Humans, angels, even other demons," the taller reveals in an incredibly irritated tone as he snakes his arm around Chenle's waist and pulls him closer into his side, "Supposedly he likes the taste of angels the most because they've got a sort of sweetness to them."

"You sent my soulmate, who's an angel, down to meet with a demon that wants to devour him like he's a walking slice of cake?" Jeno grinds his teeth as fury fills his body.

"Do you think I'm stupid?" Xiao rolls his eyes, "I sent him to Sungchan so that he can lead the vermin to your father. From there, your father will grant him permission to feed off Renjun...Once he's done using him against Jaemin for torturing purposes, of course."

"I'm sorry, is that supposed to be better?" Jeno says incredulously.

"Depends on how you view it. I'd like to think that the additional time it'll take for the blind demon to take him to your father means more time to intervene."

"Excuse me, what?"

Jeno blinks several times, not knowing exactly how to feel about the situation the more Xiao reveals about it.

"Well, I mean, he's blind but he has an ability akin to being able to sense where things and people are. I'm not quite sure how to properly explain it since he's keen on never explaining exactly how his powers work, but he's damn good at tracking people down," Xiao admits, "That's why I took him with me to find you and the vermin since your father and I couldn't do it using any other means of locating you. He managed to track you both down to the hotel, but your father forced us to stay back. He knew that Sungchan would try and eat Jaemin and that I would want to harm the both of you, myself. So instead, he sent Jungwoo."

"That's how all of you knew we were there?" Jeno asks in disbelief, "So...if...if we hadn't stayed, we wouldn't have been found?"

"Technically, yes," Xiao confirms, "Even if you had left the second you managed to send Jungwoo away and claim he never saw anyone there, it would have made things more difficult for us. You could have evaded everyone indefinitely if you'd continued being nomadic with that cloaking spell, but no, you had to stay in that hotel like the fucking imbecile you are...I had sent Sungchan to keep tabs on the both of you, and he was able to do it until you vanished."

Jeno's stomach plummets at this revelation. He wants to be angry at the fact Xiao was throwing insults at him, but the last remark he made caused him to remember what happened at the café.

"Was...was that who ran into me while Jaemin and I went out to eat?" he asks as his mouth runs dry.

"No, that was me," Jisung hastily confesses, "I'd spotted Sungchan outside the place, and I rushed outside to try and send him away. I was afraid he'd come back on his own to try and eat you guys or something. I was looking out for the both of you while I waited for you to get back to the hotel so I could talk to you. I didn't mean to run into you."