38

"Show yourself, you fucking coward!" Jeno bellows as he grips tightly onto the book with both hands. He stands in the middle of his old study in his former home with red candles floating around to help illuminate the dark place.

A flash of bright white light nearly blinds Jeno, but the moment it goes away, his eyes adjust to the sight of Taeyong standing before him.

"So, the son of Yuta calls upon me to talk," he says almost bitterly, "I suppose a congratulations is in order. You're merely one battle away from fulfilling the prophecy."

"I'm not here to talk about my father or the prophecy. I want to know what I can do to bring Jaemin back," Jeno states, "Trying to revive him didn't work."

"My sincerest apologies, but the Ares sword is permanent. There's nothing you could possibly do to bring him back," Taeyong denies, "If that is all you wished to ask me, then it's best I get going."

Before Taeyong is able to leave, Jeno speaks hastily:

"I'll reverse time."

Taeyong furrows his brow as he stares at him. His eyes flicker to the book in Jeno's hands, then back to him.

"I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, Jeno, but I advise you don't do that. You have done enough damage as it is," he says in a low voice, "Besides, not a single soul has ever been able to accomplish such a feat before."

"So it is real?"

"Those who try either obliterate their souls and cease to exist, or they cause irreversible damage."

"I have nothing left to lose," Jeno states firmly, "Either I get Jaemin back or I die trying, and there's nothing you can do to stop me."

Taeyong purses his lips and exhales deeply through his nose.

"If that's the case, then there is nothing left for me to say," he shakes his head slowly.

"So...what? You're not going to help me? Don't you want to help make this right?" Jeno questions.

"You're the one who made this mess. You fix it. It's not my job to babysit you."

Jeno scoffs in disbelief.

"Aren't you the same angel that did everything you could to help me save Jaemin and defeat my father, last time?" Jeno questions venomously, "Do you find no more value in Jaemin's life now that he's gone? You only cared when he was of use to you, huh?"

"Jaemin was someone I trusted to change the course of events and to ensure that he did his duty for the greater good. He's gone now. I won't risk my own soul to aid the plans of a devil, which are dangerous at best."

"So you were using him!" Jeno exclaims angrily as his knuckles turn white from gripping the book so tight.

"I did what I had to for the greater good. Something you wouldn't understand," Taeyong counters.

"You self-serving, selfish prick!" Jeno yells as his chest heaves.

"This conversation is over," Taeyong mutters as he snaps his fingers. In a flash of light, Taeyong is gone.

Jeno lets out a loud, angry bellow as he throws the book across the room. The book hits the wall with a rather violent bang and thumps to the floor.

"You pathetic fucking asshole!" he screams up at the ceiling.

He tries to calm himself, but is unable. He determines he needs to do something, and he needs to do it now. Without taking much time to think, he calls upon the first person that comes to mind.

"Park Jisung, I need your help."

No more than two seconds pass before a familiarly deep voice speaks to him from behind the podium.

"Why should I help you?"

Jeno turns to him as he huffs out forced breaths of air.

"Because if things go wrong, you'll get a front row seat to my death," Jeno replies through gritted teeth.

Jisung cocks an eyebrow.

"I'm listening."

"I'm going to do something very dangerous. It's likely I'll either die or become extremely fucked up. I need your help doing it, and–should something go wrong–I'll need you to kill me. So, are you in?" Jeno proposes as he stares intensely at Jisung.

The tall man shifts from one foot to another, remaining silent as he clearly takes his time considering the offer. Just as Jeno opens his mouth to inform Jisung that he doesn't have all day, the man finally speaks.

"I'm in."