51

Jeno holds a large bouquet of white roses in his right hand and a paper grocery bag with his left arm. He takes one last deep breath as he sets the roses down on the floor and slips his keycard out of his back pocket. He inserts it into the slot and discards it carelessly into the paper bag. Jeno then opens the door slightly with a click and picks the bouquet back up. He hides the roses behind his back and kicks open the door fully so he can enter.

"Back!" Jeno announces before inhaling sharply at the sight of Jaemin sitting in a chair just a few feet from the door. His legs are crossed, his arms are folded over his chest, and a scowl rests on his face. "Hey...how long have you been sitting there?"

No answer.

Jeno pulls the white roses from behind his back and smiles sheepishly as he extends them towards Jaemin.

"I got these for you."

No answer.

Jeno slowly lowers the flowers as his stomach sinks further and further. He sets both items on the ground and swishes his hand. Both the flowers and the bag of groceries practically fly across the room and drop onto the kitchen island. Jeno shoves his hands deep into his front pockets and lowers his head. He briefly shuts his eyes as he bites down on his bottom lip. He couldn't avoid it any longer. It was time to be lectured.

"Jaemin, I'm sorry..." he says quietly.

"For?" Jaemin prompts him in a stern tone that causes sickness to rise in Jeno's throat.

"For avoiding the subject, earlier. For ignoring you. For running out on you before we could talk. For...well..." Jeno hesitates, dreading bringing back up the prior conversation, "For everything."

Jaemin shakes his head slightly and uncrosses his legs. He leans back in his seat, eyeing Jeno intensely.

"You should be," he started firmly, "I can understand not wanting to have a conversation about something, but to repeatedly shut me down, ignore me, then leave me before we could even talk about it...I'm sorry but that's fucked up."

"I know."

"I mean, it's not even a discussion on what we want for dinner. We're talking about a whole life choice that could–"

Jeno watches as Jaemin takes his bottom lip in his teeth and bites down harshly as his glare slowly shifts into a vacant stare. He places his hands over his mouth as he continues to stare.

"Jaemin?" Jeno speaks wearily.

Jaemin does not answer; he just continues to stare. Jeno takes a cautious step forward, hoping Jaemin was just lost in thought, but he had never seemingly dissociated in such a manner before.

Jaemin suddenly leaps up from his chair and pushes Jeno aside. He pounces at the door handle and yanks the door open. Alarmed, Jeno follows him into the hallway, finding Jaemin thrashing his head around left and right before settling his eyes on the elevator.

"Jaemin, what's wrong?" Jeno asks as the panicked boy begins to breathe rapidly, staring at the sliding metal doors.

Jaemin's arm suddenly flies out in front of him, his palm facing the elevator as his hand trembles.

"Jaemin, talk to me," Jeno speaks as his stomach ties in knots.

A heart-stopping ding comes from the elevator, causing Jeno to snap his head towards it just as the doors slide open to reveal the black haired boy Jeno and Jaemin had been trying to outrun to get here.

"Go away, Jungwoo," he says in a warning tone, but the boy chuckles darkly as he steps out into the hall.

"I don't think I will."

Jeno feels Jaemin take his free hand and interlock their fingers together, though Jaemin continues to watch the boy. To Jeno's utter shock, Jaemin's eyes glow a ruby red hue as he speaks once more to Jungwoo.

"Go back to Hell and tell Yuta that no one was here. Tell him it was a dead end."

Jeno's eyes flicker towards Jungwoo as he sees the boy gaze at Jaemin in a sort of trancelike state.

"You never saw either of us. The room was empty and untouched. You'll deny any suspicions that we are here," Jaemin commands in a deep, dark voice he had never heard him use before.

"Yes...no one is here..." Jungwoo utters quietly as he slowly turns around and presses the button to call the elevator, "It was a dead end..."

Jungwoo continues to mumble to himself as the elevator dings once more and the doors slide open. Jungwoo shuffles inside, still in a trancelike state as he presses a button. The doors shut, and Jaemin drops his hand to his side. His eyes return to normal, but he suddenly stumbles into Jeno. He thumps his head down to rest on Jeno's shoulder as he wraps his arms around him and clings to him.

"Jaemin?" he speaks in a worried tone as his eyes widen, "What just happened?"

Jaemin takes labored breaths, further scaring Jeno. When he lifts his head, Jaemin looks up at him with groggy eyes that refuse to stay open for more than two seconds at a time. Crimson liquid drips down from his nose as he parts his lips to speak.

"He knows," Jaemin whispers cryptically in a weak manner.

"Fuck!" Jeno hisses under his breath, "Who? Who knows? Who is 'he'? You mean Jungwoo?"

"I need rest, Jeno..." Jaemin croaks out, completely diverting Jeno's attention from whatever just happened to his love's depleting physical health.

"Come on, baby. Let's get you back, inside. We can talk later," he says gently as he holds Jaemin close and helps walk him back into the suite.