- Chapter 23-

6 years ago

After meeting for the first time at the coffee shop, Mei and Gerard encountered each other a few more times. Mei counted it as luck with him having business in the area.  The young heir definitely screamed power and money. She clearly remembered the way he often intimidated others around him. Anyone who tried to offend him was in a losing battle. It was different compared to how people would try to walk all over her but there was nothing much she could do to fight back other than use words. But words were meaningless when there was no power to back them up in her opinion.  

It was hard to be the person with little money and jobs that offer a different high-status society wouldn't look down on. Mei worked for everything she wanted from a young age, working till her body could hardly move and yet she had to be disrespected by people who barely lifted a finger a day in their life or people who had a bad day and just decided she was a worthless easy target to pick on. 

Her mother always said she should put her pretty face to some use to get away from the crappy life she lived. Fine!

She was emotionally tired of having nothing! She wanted the glam life and having people cater to her every call. If she was in his circle would she be able to feel that kind of power? She did some searching and found he also had girlfriends which he showered with money and gifts. He was also the heir to a big company.

Everyone called her a white princess. Shouldn't the prince fall in love with her in the end? Maybe he would love her and marry her in the end. She wouldn't end up with a wasted life like her mother. 

The door of the coffee house opened showing a man dressed in a business suit. Wasn't he Gerard's bodyguard, she wondered.

"Good morning. A message from the young master for a Mei," The man started looking between the two girls.

Yumi who was currently working looked at Mei wondering why Gerard Walker would want to speak with her friend. When did something happen between them? Or had Mei offended him? She silently hoped Mei hadn't done anything stupid. Yumi did warn her not to get caught up with someone like Gerard.

"What's the message?" Mei was curious why Gerard sent someone to deliver the message. What was so private he couldn't talk to her in person? Why didn't he ever ask her for her number to make it more convenient for times like this when he was busy and wanted to talk to her? She had given him so many hints she wanted his number but he always played dumb to it. It seemed like he had fun watching her chase after him.

"He requested for me to take you to this location," He stated showing her an address on white paper. "His home," he added seeing both of the women in front of him widen their eyes in surprise.

Mei was taken aback by the fact Gerard was inviting her to his home. It was completely unexpected and a complete twist for the day. She thought she needed to change all her plans for getting more attention from him.

She turned to Yumi who couldn't understand what was happening. "Cover for me!"

"What? Are you seriously going? Mei!" Yumi exclaimed wondering why she was the only one who was against Mei going with Gerard. "You barely know this guy. You've only had conversations with him here and they weren't even an hour-long each time. At least get to know him before you run all the way to his house. You already got his attention."

"I doubt he would plan for something bad and invite me in front of witnesses."

"He has the money to cover it up," Yumi tried to reason with Mei but it was pointless as her friend was already taking off her apron and going towards the man who entered the coffee shop.