- Chapter 24-

Gerald entered the guest bedroom to the right of his own bedroom. In anger, he quickly took off his jacket and threw it on the floor. Before he returned home, Gerald was having a conversation with his grandfather about his future and his health after a blind date Richard had set him up with. His grandfather was concerned about his lifestyle and how it was affecting his health. Gerald was tired of being questioned about his health by Richard. 

He felt fine.

He was fine.

His grandfather had the audacity to consider bringing his half-brother to Japan to work in the business. Gerald wasn't stupid. He knew his grandfather was considering tossing him aside and let his brother replace him. He wasn't useless like they thought but every time his body weakened and his skin turned pale, their concerns about him running the business showed to the point where they would consider using his illegitimate brother.

Gerald scoffed. How desperate were they to even consider Takumi when the family had him as an outcast for years. Were they waiting to see how Gerald would turn out and use Takumi as the backup plan this whole time? Were all of Gerald's efforts all for nothing just because he was sick? He was alive and still working. They should voice their concerns when he was close to his deathbed. Gerald didn't feel like his calm and collected self anymore. He felt like he was going insane with everything he had to deal with. Why didn't anyone have faith in him and be on his side? They're looking at him almost like when his mother became bedridden. They shared the same illness but he was not on his death bed yet.

Gerald felt his head start to spin and his body started to weaken yet again. He fell to the floor as his mind filled with many scenarios. He was being replaced sooner or later. Everyone was leaving his side. No one was staying by his side for too long. They'll give up on him sooner or later.

His mother left him. His grandfather was giving up on him and soon...Mei would leave him.

"As long as I have the money she'll stay. She stayed with me when she found out about my illness but she'll run away the moment a better option comes along. Don't fall for it, "He reminded himself. "She probably thinks she can use you and discard you easily when she found out you were sick."

He didn't know a day would come when he would unexpectedly like someone at first sight as he did Mei. From the first day he met her, he felt something but instead of going about his feelings the 'right' way, he used the only method he's ever known, money. 

After all, she only cared because he was Gerald Walker. She didn't love him one bit and the faster he chased her away, the sooner she'll leave like everyone else.

Click!

Gerald turned to look at the guest bedroom door after he heard it opened and watched as Mei stepped inside. She still looked mad at him but seemed to change once she noticed how he looked.

"What are you doing?" He faintly questioned. What was she trying to get from him right now?

Mei huffed and approached Gerald who sat on the floor. "You can't lie to me, Gerald. I'm good at it myself and I can pick up on your poor excuses. Can't you just admit you like me?" Mei questioned. Why was it so hard for him to admit that he liked her? His actions showed it but there were a few days where it seemed as though he tried to convince himself not to like her. She liked him too. "Is it because I don't have money like you? I can invest the money you gave me and get more. We were born into different worlds but can't you just admit you like me? The only difference between those girls and me is our bank accounts."

"Would you be by my side if I didn't come from a rich family?" He questioned.

"Would have brought me here if not for my pretty face?" Mei retorted. "Everyone had their selfish reasons for doing things. You and I are not innocent. Yes, I came here for what you could offer and I like how I felt being around you, like I actually meant something. But I'm still here coping with everything you put me through because I like you." She had found herself liking him more than his lifestyle.

Gerald remained silent.

"You're such a coward. I've had enough of you being a coward,"  Mei said through gritted teeth. He still couldn't be honest with himself and it was tiring. She wanted to give him one more chance tonight, to be honest with her but he remained the same.

"What?" Gerald responded in a threatening voice. How dare she call him a coward.

"I was attracted to your arrogance, the way you own a room when you walk in. How you could snap your fingers and command so many people around you but I see now, you're just a coward. You use to be out in public with all your other girlfriends. Why am I so terrible? Why!?" Mei yelled in the silent room. Why couldn't they be seen out together once? Was she that bad?

"Get out of my house. Pack your things and go," He told her, his voice still having a threatening tone.

Mei smiled but on the inside, she felt like crying. "Of course. Dying fools deserve to be alone."

"You-" Gerald was lost for words. That was not what he needed to hear right now.

Mei stood up and looked down at the man she put above anyone else in the last ten months. Of course, he wouldn't have claimed her. She was useless and nothing without a background like his. She hated how easy some people got what they wanted in life. She should've remained in her small world and stayed away from Gerald. In the end, all he left her with was heartbreak. She hoped someday, she could repay him the debt of this feeling.

2 months later

Mei had returned to her old place and tried to forget her relationship with Gerald. But it was hard to forget him no matter how much she tried. She had thoughts about returning to his home and ask him to be together again but she came to the conclusion, there was no use staying with someone who couldn't even claim her. 

"What are you in deep thought about?" Her friend Hikari said interrupting her thoughts. 

"Huh? Oh. I'm just thinking about our classes," Mei responded. They had just looked at their class schedule.

"I don't want to think about class till it actually starts. I want to go back in time to vacation," Hikari pouted. Why was it time for school already?

"It'll be over before you know it-Gerald?" Mei said wide-eyed when she saw someone on campus who looked like Gerald but he wasn't. Who was he? A relative?

Following Mei's line of sight, Hikari commented. "He looks like Gerald, right? That's Geralds brother Takumi. He's going to be finishing up school here. Takumi! Kuuga!"

Mei silently watched as her friend waved over to Takumi and some other guy. Apparently, Hikari was friends with them.

"Hikari," A boy who looked like he belonged in a band greeted. "Who's the beautiful friend."

"Kuuga, don't be a flirt. This is Mei. Mei meet Kuuga and Takumi. Takumi and Kuuga meet Mei. I know Takumi and Kuuga from family ties and I met Mei here at school," Hikari introduced everyone.

"Nice to meet you," Takumi greeted Mei, extending his hand. 

"Nice to meet you too," Mei said placing her hand in his to shake. "Takumi."

Would he be just like Gerald? She wondered.

A/N: Still more about the past to learn. Takumi and Misaki will be in the next chapter. A volcano on a neighboring island is erupting and spreading ash to my island.  There's ash and still the Saharan dust and for me, even the tiniest dust in my house irritates my nose and I feel like I can't breathe, so the Saharan dust and ash have been a bad combo. I try to type updates when I can but I'll be free from May 11th till August so there will be a lot of updates in that time.