Chapter 18

Takumi raised his brow confused by her answer.

Misaki sighed having to talk about her first engagement, "I was engaged to someone years ago and we called off the wedding. My father would go crazy if he found out we wanted to postpone the wedding. He'll probably think we're trying to find a way to end it."

"We'll just have to convince them we're trying to be on a mutual agreement that this marriage has to last and the only way to accomplish that is by having more time to build the relationship," he answered. He understood why their family wanted them to get married as it was a smart business move but there had to be some demands made known from Takumi and Misaki.

"They'll probably just say get married and then build the relationship," she awkwardly laughed even though she didn't find anything funny. There was no way out of this. She had to get married now. She needed her own flesh and blood to pass the company to or her father would look to her sister for an heir to the business. If neither of them has kids he might try to take over the company she worked so hard to rebuild.

Takumi placed his hand over her own to reassure her it'll be okay. "Leave it to me. I'll speak to your father first." They were both powerful business owners but weak at the hands of their families. Maybe they should work to cut off the strings which their family controlled them with.

Misaki was still hesitant but agreed to trust him. "Okay."

"Can we see which couple works the art of seduction best?" The host announced walking around the dinner tables. "This couple looks like they have the special sauce."

"What the heck!" Misaki internally screamed. She looked around at the other couples who half cheered and half looked equally taken aback. What screamed romantic dinner with this! " What kind of weird dinner was this? "

"Let's escape now," Takumi said helping her to her feet to escape the dinner. He stood up and pulled back the chair for her, taking her hand into his. "Quick before the host spots us."

She nodded getting up quickly to sneak away with Takumi. There was no way in hell she was going to stay here. She'd rather listen to Sakura fangirl about her boyfriend. "Whose idea was this again?"

Takumi continued to hold her hand hustling away. "Pretty sure it was your idea."

She shook head in disagreement, "Pretty sure it wasn't."

"If you knew why'd you ask misa chan?" Takumi sang just to annoy her and it worked.

"Please don't call me that," She warned. He was nothing but a big man child.

"Ok, misa ch- oww."

With how fast they were walking how did she find time to kick him?

"Oh, the beach," Misaki started looking at the scenery before them. The beach was beautiful at night. A full moon was out and the stars were crystal clear in the sky. She let go of Takumi's hand and walked down to the beach followed by Takumi. "It's beautiful."

"Here," Takumi said taking off his jacket to place it on the cold sand for Misaki to sit on. "Sit down."

"You didn't have to," She denied sitting on his jacket.

"Let us not argue over this Misaki. Please just sit."

"Okay," she thanked him and sat down. Misaki closed her eyes and enjoyed the cold air against her skin.

"I hope you don't get cold because you're sitting on the jacket I would have offered you," He mentioned trying to start a new conversation.

"I'm not cold, just enjoying a break from work."

"When was the last time you have a vacation?" He questioned.

"I haven't in a few years."

Takumi was amazed. He was a workaholic but at least he took breaks from work. Or maybe it was because Mei asked him to?

"Wait, a few years ago? You said you were engaged then. What happened to that engagement if you don't mind me asking." He knew she got engaged, but he hardly knew anything about it.

"I was engaged to Tora Iragashi. We were really young at the time and were in love. My family business was really blooming around that time and everyone was happy. They started to meddle with our relationship too much, so Tora and I grew apart from each other. The relationship just didn't feel the same. During that time he found someone else and fell in love with her, " Misaki said remembering the past clear as that day. "He told me about her."

"That must've hurt."

"Not really. I had fallen out of love with Tora and was glad there would be a reason to call off the engagement. We'd grown apart and I rather he is happy with someone else. Things happen for a reason I guess."

"I guess so," Takumi mumbled thinking about his current problems. Maybe this engagement happened for a reason.

Meanwhile.

Knock knock!

"Coming!" Mei yelled walking to her front door. "Hel-" She gasped when she opened the door.

"Miss me?" Gerald asked pushing himself inside. "I'm surprised you haven't moved out of here. Saving the memories?"

"What do you want?" She demanded to know. He was the last person she wanted to see.

"Can't I visit my ex who happens to be my little brother's ex?" Gerald teased.

"Get out," she said, pointing to the door.

"Relax Mei. You know, when I last saw you I knew there would be an exciting show awaiting me in the future," Gerald laughed plotting something.

"I want nothing to do with you."

"Come on. After you got with Takumi to prove a point to me?" He questioned which angered Mei.

"Me loving Takumi had nothing to do with you. I truly loved him," Mei answered speaking the truth and lying at the same time.

"Love? Does he feel this for you? Then again he's spending time with his wife to be right now while you're all alone."

"Stop it!" She yelled growing frustrated by his words.

Gerald smiled knowing he was upsetting her. "Shall I tell you part of a secret? All these years you wondered why our family never welcomed you?" He paused taking a step close to her. "I am the reason our grandfather never welcomed you. I would explain it to you, but I like having secrets."

"Why are you doing this to me?!"

Gerald slammed his hand on the wall. "You know why... Don't act innocent. You know what you did!"

He continued to say, "How does it feel to watch the person you love marry someone else? I want to watch you suffer -"

Slap!

"Leave me alone," Mei warned him. She was worried about how he would interfere with her relationship.

"There's the show I wanted to see!" Gerald laughed getting excited.