Chapter 20

Recap: A tear slips out of my eyes that I quickly wipe away, but Jake sees me. He walks closer to me, "what's wrong?" he whispers in my ear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I shake my head, not wanting to talk about it because it would just end up with me crying more.

I'm not weak. I won't cry.

I hear Jake sigh softly. "I can't help you if you don't help me help you, Turns."

"I don't need help," I whisper back to him, O and Jer still laughing and chatting right in front of us as we all walk.

"You're hurting yourself," he tells me, grabbing one of my hands and squeezing.

Now it's my turn to sigh. No one understands.

I know that what Blake is doing to us isn't right, but it's not who he is. It's just a phase, and it'll go away soon.

Everyone deals with grief differently, and he lost his wife, so it makes sense. But no one else agrees with me.

The only reason why Alon doesn't say anything is because he knows that if he does, we'll all be put back in the system again. And that's even worse than staying with Blake.

I'm too caught up in my thoughts to notice that everyone stopped walking. I only stop when Jake pulls me back.

I look up to see that I was about to walk right into the wall.

Wonderful.

Jer and Owen burst into laughter, making me smile a bit too. But Jake just looks concerned. I turn around and open the studio door, holding it for everyone else to go in first.

Jake's just going to keep bothering me until he gets over it, so I should probably stay away from him for a couple days.

I hear Maddie's beautiful voice as I enter the studio, and see her singing her heart out inside of the booth.

She is insanely talented. I mean, she's so young and she has such control over her range, and everything! I wish I was more like her.

Her dad is super funny too! I met him once when he came to see her.

Maddie belts out the last note with a sustain, making the whole room erupt in cheers.

She walks out of the booth, immediately getting tackled by Charlie, as the sound engineer speaks to both of them, letting Char go inside next.

I decide to go for a short walk to just clear my thoughts, and quietly leave the studio.

I wander around the halls for a little bit before I stumble across a small room with a piano in it. I turn the lights on, but the bulbs must be going out because the lights are really dim.

Not that I mind. I hate bright lights.

I sit at the piano, opening the lid and just running my fingers across the keys. It's been ages since I've touched a piano.

We don't have one at Blake's house, but I used to have one before. At my real home.

I play an A chord, switching to a C# minor, and then a D/F# and start to sing softly.

"I'm hurt. Bruised and beat

You're the one who did this to me.

But I can't help but feel,

Maybe it's something I did

You used to love me, and hug me,

And kiss it all away

And I'm stuck in these memories

Of when she was okay."

I hold the last note, adding a trill and switching to falsetto.

I get a little louder and stronger as I sing the chorus,

" So what did I do wrong

To get your hate.

Is it all my fault

That we're in pain.

Cause I just cannot believe

That you are the reason for my pain.

And I just cannot believe that you are the reason for my pain."

I echo the last line, switching up the chords a little. Just as I'm about to continue, I hear a loud crash behind me, making me jump up and turn around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hello lovelies! Please don't hate me! I'm sorry for such a late update!

Oh, and I'm sorry about my horrible songwriting skills. If anyone would like to help me out, please feel free to DM me with your song ideas, you'll get all the credit for them!

Anyways, please vote and comment! Have a wonderful evening! Hugs and kisses.