Chapter 8

I enter the cafe to the smell of coffee, pine, and fresh pastries. This scent alone reminds me of how it used to be before everything got messed up; when I'd celebrate the Holidays with my family. My dad (my actual one, not Blake) and I used to have so much fun together. We were the Christmas spirit duo. I swear, people used to think we were crazy because of how much we got into it!

"Where were you yesterday?" I hear Ms. Agara shout.

"Family emergency," I lie to her. Though I doubt she cares.

I don't want to mention a schedule change to her for two reasons. One, I don't know the shooting schedule yet. And two, she's already mad; why make it worse?

She grunts and walks away.

I quickly put an apron on, and go to the backroom to check in and get my notepad. I see two other staff in the back, quietly talking. They wave to me when I walk by.

As I finish up my last customers before my shift, I catch Alon walking into the cafe. I catch his eye and nod, silently telling him that I need a minute. I quickly bring the check and head to the backroom to note my break.

I step back out and intertwine my arm with Alon's. We decide to catch a bus to the studio. I mean, it's only a couple streets away, but the wind is relentless today, and the temperature is below freezing. I don't do cold weather; I fall sick way too easily, so Alon knows it's better to be safe and take the bus.

We talk about work; I tell him about open mic night on Friday. He always tells me to perform, but I know that's just wishful thinking. Maybe if things were different at home.

I pull out the contract and the other documents Mr. Ortega had asked me to sign, as we walk into the building. Alon just stares at it for a second and asks, "forged?"

"Obviously," I reply. "I mean, we can only dream that Blake would've done it. Imagine how much he'd freak if he knew what we were doing right now."

We both just laugh at that.

I lead Alon to Mr. Ortega's office room, and knock on the door. It only takes a second before I hear a muffled "Come in." I open the door and we both enter to see Mr. Ortega surrounded by a lot of papers. He looks up to see me, smiles and says "Hey kiddo!"

"Sorry to bother you Mr. Ortega, I should have called or something before barging in." I reply, feeling a little guilty for disturbing him.

"Nonsense, and I told you, it's Kenny to you."

I just smile, handing over the papers. "Wonderful, I actually wanted to talk to you real quick about timings, so please take a seat." He looks at Alon and greets him as well.

"Oh yeah! Sorry, this is my brother, Alon." I tell Mr. Ortega.

They both exchange pleasantries, and then Mr. Ortega tells me about boot camp's schedule. Apparently I will be here all day for the first week, and then we will set aside exact schedules depending on who I am shooting with, dancing with, and singing with.

As I go to get up, assuming that's everything he needed to tell me about, he says, "Actually, while you're here, why don't you meet some of our cast. I think the boys and Maddie are here today."

I grin and say, "Of course!" As we walk outside, I see Alon subtly check the time on his phone. Oh yeah, we have work, I suddenly remember. He looks at me shaking his head and chuckling softly, as if he just read my mind.

He whispers in my ear, "We still have 30 minutes, I took an hour off because I knew you'd need more time." Oh, I think. I'm about to ask him about my work when he cuts me off, "I also told Ms. Agara that you'll need extra time too. Just a warning, she wasn't happy." He says.

He thinks of everything, I think to myself, laughing softly.

"Boys!" I hear Mr. Ortega call, as we enter what looks to be a big lounge room.

"Hey! What about me?" Maddie asks, fake-pouting slightly.

"And you dear," Mr. Ortega says smiling. "I'd like you to introduce you guys to the new edition to our family, Aqua!"

He points to me, causing me to smile and wave, awkwardly. I tend to get a bit shy in front of new people.

Owen is the first to greet me, pulling me in for a hug, with the rest quickly joining him. They step back and Owen quickly jokes, "Are you sure she's gonna be able to hold the dance part Kenny? She's pretty clumsy." He winks at me, laughing.

I blush a little, embarrassed that he remembers running into me yesterday. "That was an accident, I don't usually run into people like that." I reply.

"Are you sure about that kiddo?" Mr. Ortega asks. "Because that's exactly how I met you."

We all joke around a little, until Alon reminds me that we have to get to work. We quickly say our goodbyes, exchanging phone numbers, and Alon and I leave to catch the bus back to work.

"Thank you for coming with me, monkey brain. I really appreciate it." I tell him genuinely.

"Of course, panda bear. I know how scared you would've been without me." He jabs.

I roll my eyes and laugh, waving him goodbye and entering the cafe. As I put my things away and clock in, I see my phone light up with a new message.

Welcome to the Phantom Idiots Group Chat!!!!!       -From: Maddie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hello my lovely readers! Has anyone seen the Netflix series, Tiny Pretty Things, yet? I've read the book; debating whether it's worth a watch or not. Lemme know your thoughts in the comments!

Also, did it snow for anyone yesterday? It did for me yesterday and throughout the night, so everything is still covered in snow outside!!!

Anyways, please vote and comment. Have a wonderful day lovelies! Hugs and kisses.