Bri

I get done paying the cashier for all the groceries and I put my now empty wallet back in my bag. After receiving my receipt, I turn around to grab the bags, but Cade and Jacob already have them in their hands.

I smile at them both even though they don't see. They're standing with Alexander by the doors, talking to one another. They look over at me as I walk towards them. "You ready, Bri?" Cade asks while adjusting the bags in his hands.

I nod at him and give him a smile. "Thank you guys for everything. I appreciate it more than you know."

"It's no problem, B. Let's get you home." Jacob says as we walk out of the store and towards Alexander's SUV.

"So eager to get rid of me, J?" I grin up at him. I take a few bags from his hand and load them in the trunk.

He just laughs and shakes his head "never" he says. "I'm just trying to protect you" he glances at Alexander, who just rolls his eyes at Jacob.

He probably knows that whatever is about to come out of Jacob's mouth is going to be something goofy.

Like most times.

"Protect me from what?" I ask anyway, out of curiosity. I climb into the backseat and Cade follows in after me. Alexander gets in the driver seat and starts the car.

When Jacob finally gets settled in the passenger seat, he looks back at me. "From him." He points a finger at Alex. "He turns into a vampire when there's a full moon." He smirks in Alexander's direction.

"You're an idiot" Alex says while turning onto the main highway, toward my apartment.

"Why is that?" Jacob furrows his brows as he asks Alexander. Like there's nothing ridiculous about what he just said at all.

I start to answer but Cade leans over to me and whispers "he'll figure it out." I lean my head on his shoulder and giggle a little. Cade just smiles down at me.

I lift my head and straighten in my seat. I look up and see Jacob staring at me. "what's wrong?" He blinks and shakes his head, but doesn't answer. He turns back around and looks out of the window.

I do the same.

While looking out of the window, the inevitable crosses my mind. It's in moments like these, in the quiet, when my mind wanders back to years ago. Years I hate thinking about, but who truly ever let's go of their past? I wish I could, but part of me knows it's made me who I am.

I am strong.

I'm scarred but I'm strong.

As we turn off the main highway and drive further away from downtown, further away from the noise and the lights. There's a road we pass and at the very end of that road, sits a house.

A house full of lies and tragedies.

A house full of broken hearts and shattered souls.

A house full of monsters.

I lived there for three years before I was able to successfully run away. I would've died before I ever went back there again. If hell had a home on earth, then it would be that house at the end of the road.

"Gabriella...Gabriella...Hey, we're here." Voices quickly fill my ears as I shake the thoughts from my mind.

I've begged myself not to go back there mentally.

But, sometimes I still do.

I smile at Alexander as I get out of his vehicle.

As usual my smile isn't returned.