Bri

After telling the guys that I'd see them later, I walk back towards the kitchen feeling really disappointed. I'm not sure what I expected from them but I don't think that reaction was it.

I feel like people enter our lives for a reason. That our paths crossed and our meeting holds some kind of purpose. Whether it's to be taught or to teach a lesson, to love and cherish them and grow old together, or to become someone you can truly lean on and trust, friends.

I feel like there's a reason those three guys entered my life.

I just don't know what purposes they hold.

Yet.

I get to the kitchen door and see Laura talking to another woman, they look to be in a serious conversation, so I try to go around the other way before I'm noticed.

"Oh, there she is. Bri, can you come over here a second." Laura waves me over and smiles.

Returning her smile, I say "hey, Laura." I look to the other lady and give her a small smile. "Hi."

"Bri, this is Rose Reed. Her husband owns Roil Enterprises. She was just asking about volunteering here." Laura informs me and introduces Rose with a big smile on her face.

She knows we desperately need the help.

I can't help but stare at the woman.

Alexander's mom.

"I was just here with Alexander." I blurt out.

Rose looks absolutely stunned. "You know my son?" She asks. I just nod at her. "Is he still here?" She asks while raising one perfectly arched eyebrow.

I shake my head. "No, ma'am. He left with Jacob and Cade. I don't have a vehicle and wanted to bring some supplies by. The boys were kind enough to give me a ride and help me load and unload everything." I smile at her and she just shakes her head.

"My son, helped you?" I nod again. "Hmm. That's interesting. I wanted to see if any volunteers were needed and I wanted to sign those three up. Alex is more likely to help if Jacob and Cade volunteer with him. I don't know if you know this but Alex is a handful." She sighs and I watch as she lowers her eyes to the ground.

She looks ashamed.

"I do know. I haven't known him long just a couple of months but we've had plenty of downs in that short amount of time. I'm not sure what's going on with him but he did apologize to me and I think that's progress." I tell her truthfully.

"That's nice to hear. I know this may sound strange but, would you come to our home on Sunday? We usually have family dinners on Sunday and I wanted to tell the boys they're volunteering here starting next Monday. It may soften the blow if you're there. At this point Alex doesn't have much of a choice." I can tell she's sad and concerned. She just wants what's best for her son, she wants him to be the best person he can be.

I wish someone wanted that for me.

I wish someone wanted me. Period.

I mentally shake away the negative thoughts. "I would love to come. Do you think Alexander will be upset that I'm there?"

"Doesn't matter, dear." She says, patting my shoulder. "It's my home."

After agreeing to go to dinner Sunday and telling Rose goodbye, I spent the rest of the day at A bowl a day. I make sandwiches and heat up soup. I serve to the people out front and speak to Lilly for a while, the little girl who loves peanut butter and jelly.

It's still her favorite, she reminds me.

"I just want to say thank you again for all you donated and all that you do, Bri. It means so much. Thank you." Laura gives me a quick hug.

"It's no problem. I'm just glad I could help." I tell her. After we wave goodbye, I pick up my bag and sling it over my shoulder and head home.

I'm going home.

That's a positive.

No one is there waiting on me.

Most people would consider that a negative. But, for me it's definitely a positive.

I get lost in my thoughts, counting all the positives in my life. I've been walking all of five minutes and this car slowly pulls up beside me.

I don't recognize it.

I don't look at the car again and decide to walk a little faster. The car pulls right along beside me.

I stop. The car stops.

I go. So does the car.

I finally stop and look at it. The windows are too dark to see who's inside. The window rolls down and I can't help the gasp that slips from my lips.

"It's late. Get in the damn car, Gabriella."

I shake my head at this mans attitude. He really does need some lessons when it comes to his manners.

I cross my arms. "Say please."

He rolls his eyes, in true Alex fashion and shakes his head. "Get in" he pauses for a few seconds, his fingers tighten around the steering wheel and then he mutters "Please."

I open the door and slip inside the sleek car. He doesn't say anything as I close the door or buckle my seatbelt. He doesn't say anything when we're about five minutes away from my apartment.

We pull up to my apartment complex, he parks the car, and I watch as he stares out the window. "Alexander, how did you know that I was walking home at this time?" I watch as he shrugs his shoulder. "You stalking me? I warned you about that." I tease him to lighten the mood.

"No." He grunts out and that's all I get.

Or at least that's what I thought, but as I reach for the handle to open the door, he says "I called up there so I could talk to you but the guy said you just walked out. I didn't want you walking home in the dark. It's late."

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I ask out of curiosity.

"Jacob yelled at me all the way home and said he was tired of my shit attitude. He told me that I needed to apologize to you again." he shakes his head and I try to hide my smile.

My giggle slips and his eyes snap to mine.

His eyes harden. He thinks I'm laughing at him.

I kind of am.

"What's so funny?" He asks, his voice laced with irritation.

"You hand out apologies like they're going out of style." I say still smiling at him.

"Sorry."

I laugh.

"You can get out now." He gestures towards the car door. Basically waving me away like an annoying fly.

"I'm going." I nod at him. "But first can I tell you something?" 

He hesitates but then shrugs, "Sure" he says, his tone bored. He definitely wants to be anywhere but here.

"Apologies are nice, but actions are better." I don't wait for his reply and get out of the car like he suggested. I was about to tell him I would see him Sunday but then thought better of it.

I'd like to live a while longer.

His car doesn't leave after I shut the door. The car doesn't leave as I walk up the stairs to my apartment. Only when my door is opened and I'm halfway in do I see the car edge towards the road and speed off.

I'm so tired from working all day so I decide to skip the shower and change clothes. Too tired to eat, I decide to just go to bed. I close my eyes thinking of a steely eyed guy and the reasons he's in my life.

Wondering whether or not if I can eventually count him as a positive in my life.