Alex

"Dude, let's just go. She's fine and you need to cool off." Jacob pats my back and I finally give him a nod.

We're still standing outside her apartment door. The guys are just watching me pace back and forth, while I debate whether or not to go bang on her door. Why would she let someone like that into her place? It's ridiculous.

Its ridiculous that I even care.

With that thought, I storm past Jacob and Cade and down the rickety stairs. When I reach my car, I throw open the back door and climb inside. I pull my car keys from my front pocket and toss them in the driver's seat.

Jacob gets behind the wheel and Cade sits beside him up front. "Bro, you're pissing off every woman you know. You gotta learn to rein in your crazy." Jacob says while pulling out into the road.

"She wasn't too happy with you either" I remind him while buckling my seatbelt. "She doesn't even have the money for a phone, but yet she's letting people like that into her place. She would have no way of calling someone if she needs help. Hell, she hasn't even invited us in and we're suppose to be her 'friends'. She had no right to talk to me the way she did. She doesn't even know me, what I'm going through, or what I've been through." I rant and throw my hands up in frustration.

"Hmm" I hear Cade.

"What?" I snap at him.

"Sometimes, you should listen to yourself. That's why Bri was so upset. You didn't know that man and he obviously means a lot to her. But yet, you judged him. You can't complain about what's being dished out to you when you're serving the same thing, brother."

I grunt at him.

"Whatever. At least I have a job and provide for myself. I'm not looking for handouts from people barely making it themselves. She can do whatever she wants but, if I was her I would've made him leave. He would have to find charity somewhere else."

"That's why you're not her, Bri is a good person. Think back, Alex, you were rude to her the minute you ran into her. She never judged you though. You two and Bri need to talk and you both need to apologize to her."

I scoff at Cade. Apologize for what?

Speaking the truth.

I don't think so.

I don't care who you are, if I'm not in the wrong you don't deserve my apologies. "We didn't do anything wrong" I tell him pointing between me and Jacob. "She says I hurt her, but how? That one time she came to my job, interrupting us."

"I think it's been more than one time, but she just wanted to say thank you."

"Well, she was lucky I apologized then. We barely know this girl but we're sitting here arguing. I'm done with it. She can do what she wants. She's not a part of my life and I don't have to see her again."

But is that what I want?

To not see her again.

Definitely.

Maybe.

"You're seeing her tomorrow. She asked us to take her somewhere, we're not going back on our word." Jacob reminds me. I just shake my head.

Why is it okay for everyone else to be themselves, but not okay for me? I'm an honest person, I thought people valued that kind of thing? Why would I pretend that I like someone and what they're doing? I don't help certain people, so I guess that makes me the worst person in the world. Hell, I barely help my friends, let alone anyone else.

No one helps me.

Not with the things that really matter.

"I need a fucking drink."