Bri

It's too early for this. I do not want to go to work this morning. I've worked nonstop for the past four days. I know I have no choice though. After willing myself to get up out of the floor, I go to the bathroom to shower.

My air mattress completely deflated on me last night. To say my back is killing me would be an understatement. But at least I was warm and didn't get soaked from the rain that poured all night. With those thoughts in my mind, I can't find it within me to complain.

As the lukewarm water drips down my face my mind wanders to those three boys. It's been almost a week since I seen them at that diner. I've literally only met them twice. Both times were for a short amount of time, but they genuinely seemed worried about me walking home.

Well, at least two of them seemed genuinely worried.

I can't say that Alexander's words didn't sting. It was almost as if he was calling me worthless. I refused to cry that night.

Even though I wanted to.

I turn the shower off and wrap a towel around me and go back to my room to get dressed. Today I have a shift at the theater after my morning shift at the diner. I don't work at the theater often, maybe once or twice a month, one of the managers there is a friend of Richards. If he's ever short staffed he calls to see if I can take it.

I always do.

I grab my uniform for the diner and get dressed. I pull my hair into a tight ponytail and lace my worn out non slick shoes up.

Looking at them reminds me of Charles.

He's doing better. He stops in and eats every day, washing dishes or mopping floors. I was able to find him two pairs of shoes, two pairs of sweat pants, and two long sleeve shirts from the local thrift store. I keep them here for him, I told him if he ever wanted to, he could shower and sleep here.

He's yet to show up.

Stubborn.

He's a lot like me, not taking things we feel like we don't deserve or didn't earn.

So I understand him.

I grab my uniform that I have to wear to the theater, fold it, and place it in my bag. It's closer to walk to the theater from the diner rather than from my apartment. So I just change at the diner and go from there. I grab everything I need and head out the door.

The morning shift at the diner went by in a blur. We stayed so busy, I barely had time to take a break. This is what happens when you have an all you can eat pancakes special on senior citizen day.

Crazy!

I slip into the back after I clock out and change into the white collar shirt with the theaters logo on it and some black skinny jeans. It's not the most horrendous uniform I've ever had to wear, but I would be lying if I said I liked it.

But at least I have clothes.

I get to the theater just in time to start my shift. "Hey, Bri" I hear Larry greet me. He's Richard's friend. I see him wave at me.

Waving back and walking up to him I greet him and ask "hey, Larry. How are you?"

"I'm doing good, thank you for coming in on such short notice. I appreciate it."

"It's no problem. I don't mind at all"

"Well I'll let you get to it, I'm going to head to the office, if you need me for anything just let me know." I nod at him and he walks off.

I busy myself for the next couple of hours handing out tickets and making snacks for people. This one group came in, probably around my age, there were eight or so of them in the group. I wonder what it's like to have that many friends? To actually enjoy someone's company and do things together.