Alex

Leaning back in my leather chair and exhaling a deep sigh, I close my eyes and take a minute before I leave work to go home.

It's been a long exhausting day and all I want to do is go home and relax. Dad was on my case again this morning, complaining about contracts and almost losing another investor.

My dad loves to play the blame game and  he's played it my whole life. He's the reigning national champion, earning that title every single day. As long as he can blame someone, anyone, for his mistakes, he feels and looks better. He never takes responsibility for his own actions.

I'm pretty sure the word accountability isn't even in his vocabulary.

I grab my bag from off the floor and shove  my laptop, phone, and some work left to do later, inside of it. Accidentally dropping some of the papers from the folder, I bend down to pick them up. I stop in the process and look at the godawful things covering my feet. I'd rather go barefooted in this trashy city. Earlier this morning, I passed the man that these shoes once belonged to. When he seen I was still wearing them he gave me a pity smile.

Me and pity don't mix.

If I said his look didn't infuriate me, I would definitely be lying.

Standing up, I glance at the door when I hear the knob begin to turn. "You packing up?" I hear my mom ask as she pokes her head inside my office.

"Yeah, I'm about to head home." I nod at her and finish putting the papers back into my bag. I glance up at her and she's just staring at me.

"What is it?" I furrow my brows at her, giving her a confused look.

What now?

"Family dinner, this Sunday is back on. I can't say I'm too happy with you, Alex. But, I have a few things I'd like to discuss with you." She walks back to the door and looks over her shoulder. "Bring Jacob and Cade as well." She walks out, closing the door behind her.

Well, okay.

Love you, too.

At least she said we'll talk at family dinner on Sunday. Which I hope is a step in the right direction. I don't know what else she wants from me. She's holding out hope that shoes will change who I am and it's not going to happen. It'll take a lot more than a ratty, old pair of sneakers to change me.  But to be honest as awful as these shoes are, I'd rather walk in these every day of my life, than my dads once.

I may be an asshole but he's the devil incarnate.

Towards me anyway.

I turn off my office lights and head to the elevator where I see Jacob and Cade waiting for me "hey" I greet them. "I'm so ready to go home." I massage my forehead with my free hand. The elevator doors open and we walk inside.

"Alex, we're going to Bri's to pick her up and taking her wherever she wanted to go. Remember?" Jacob shifts in the elevator and leans his back against the wall.

"Damn" My shoulders slump even more. "You two take her and I'll go home. I'm not needed anyway." We get off the elevator and I turn to walk towards my car.

Jacob pulls me by the back of my shirt. "Nuh uh. Not happening, you were a dick yesterday so you're going and apologizing. Whether you like it or not."

I don't like it at all.

Or her.

So why am I needed?

"I don't like it." I whine.

"Too damn bad." I sit in the back of Jacob's car and wait for them to get in.