Alex

I lied.

To myself and Gabriella.

I don't think it's going to be any time soon. I'm trying but fuck. I'm so sick of this. I've been at the damn poor shack for almost two weeks. I told myself while Gabriella was gone, I was going to try.

Try to be better.

But without her there it all felt pointless. So, I left the soup kitchen with a shocked Cade and a less than surprised Jacob. He just rolled his eyes at my antics.

When Gabriella came back on Thursday, she wasn't in the best of moods. She just seemed sad and she hasn't told us why. Which affected my mood and just made me more pissed off. We haven't really had much contact except for seeing her at A bowl a day.

But even then we're like passing ships.

And I feel like I'm about to sink.

I don't know what's going on with my father but he's been out of the office for the last few days. My mother has been working in his place which is very unusual. She's still upset with me, worse now since I skipped out on volunteering for a few days.

Right now, I'm sitting in this restaurant by myself waiting for my friends to show up.

And Gabriella.

As I'm looking over the menu. I hear her laugh and it makes me lift my head up and search in which direction it came from.

Not today, satan.

About the time I spot her, I see Jacob and wave him over as subtly as I can. "Jacob" I hiss from behind the menu. "Where's Gabriella?"

He wiggles his brows like an idiot, "Somebody's in love." He grins and nods.

"Idiot" I mutter. "I'm not in love, I'm desperate."

"Why're you desperate?"

I glance up and see Gabriella standing there with a confused look on her face. Probably because I look absolutely elated to see her and that never happens.

At least I have an amazing poker face because I'm about to have to use it right now.

Glancing out from behind the menu, I see who I'm looking for and like I knew, she was coming closer to our table. "Gabriella, please sit beside me." Maybe if I ask politely she'll do as I ask.

"Why?" She questions.

Damn it.

I tug at her sweater and pull her into the booth with me. She's looking at me like I'm crazy.

Right now I am.

"What's going on?" She asks looking at Jacob and Cade. They just shrug in unison while trying to decipher why I'm acting the way I am. And then we hear it, that laugh. They jerk their heads in the direction it came and then back at me with their eyes slightly widened.

"Oh" they both say, dragging out the word and nodding in realization.

I lean in closer to Gabriella and when I do, I breathe in the scent of her hair. It reminds me of a warm day at the beach.

Coconut.

"I'm going to need you to be my girlfriend while we're here, Gabriella, please." I chance a glance at Kate to see if she's gotten any closer. Unfortunately, the she devil already has her beady eyes on me, but her claws are hooked around another man's arm.

Maybe she's moved on?

Yeah right, I'm not that lucky.

"Okay." I hear Gabriella whisper.