Life Line

Sobbing into my mother's chest, she held me close and whispered words of comfort as my younger brother looked on in anger

Sobbing into my mother's chest, she held me close and whispered words of comfort as my younger brother looked on in anger. "Just tell me who did it sis" Jaden asked while pacing through my parents living room before my told him to leave the room; but not before planting a kiss on my forehead telling me that he loves me. After finding out that I was indeed pregnant, I left work and headed straight for my parents' house to seek comfort from my mother.

The minute she opened the door the tears sprung to the surface and I couldn't say the words as I broke down in her arms. "Baby just tell me what's wrong, you know I won't judge" she whispered as she rubbed her hands up and down my back. Opening my mouth to speak, it felt as though my chest was contracting because saying the words out loud would make it a reality and I wasn't sure I was ready for that. Resorting to my last option, I just rubbed my belly and my mom caught on before pulling me closer "It's okay baby, everything will be just fine".

Talking to my mom eased my nerves and allowed me to view the situation in a different light. Babies are blessings and even though this wasn't the ideal situation I wanted to have my kids in, my baby needed me. My mom walked back into the room still on the phone before hanging up and telling me that she had managed to book me a gynaecology appointment for the next day. "You good now Amour?" referring to me by my middle name before holding my hands. "Yeah, I'm good thanks ma, you always calm me down" I said while smiling at her before standing up as my stomach grumbles.

Laughing my mom leads us to the kitchen before heating up the lunch leftovers for me just as my dad walks in "Hey princess" his loud voice sounded. Moving past me, he kisses my forehead before wrapping his arms around my mom and pecking her lips several times as I fake gagged in the background. Laughing he turns around before asking why I wasn't at work, "Jack leave her alone, she grown" my mom answered on my half before handing me a plate of mashed potatoes and steak.

As if on que I hear Uriah yell "Ma I can't come for lunch but this creature can?" from the kitchen door causing my mother to turn around and throw the wooden spoon in her hand at him. "Boy you better act like you know who you talking to, you got the right one today" she said waving her finger at him causing him to raise his hands in surrender "My bad, how you doing my queen?". I scoff at him, kiss-ass I mouth before he flicks my head causing me to turn to my dad who comes to my defence "Uriah leave your sister alone." Sticking my tongue out I finish off my meal before saying goodbye to my family and heading home.

Lying in my bed after changing into my comfortable clothes, I start thinking about hot much my life is about to change. Estimating that I'm only about 6-7 weeks pregnant, I can still do club appearance until I start showing. Will the baby be a boy or a girl? Will they look like me or their lame ass daddy? Am I going to tell him that I'm pregnant? My train of thought is interrupted by my phone ringing; without checking I answer already knowing it's Mia calling to check on me

Phone Conversation:

M: Hello my love

A: Hey you, how you doing baby?

M: Considering my right hand wasn't by my side, it was pretty crappy. And I should be asking you that heffa

A: Don't worry Mia, I talked to my mom and I'm good now. Oh, and I missed you too hoe

M: Girl don't do me, you know the only thing fat on me is this ass and I'm glad you feeling better, had me worried and shit.

A: Don't be acting like you don't love me bitch, but anyways you ready to be an aunty?

M: Girl I been ready, we gonna be having spa dates and shit, Imma be the best auntie she'll ever have. Where's my fat-fat?

We spent the rest of the night just talking before saying our goodbyes and me saying my prayers before falling asleep.

Driving to go pick my mom up the next day, my stomach was full of butterflies as I anticipated seeing the life that was growing inside of me. Pulling up into the driveway, I call my mom who comes out with some pineapple and a bottle of water for me, warming my heart. "Hie mommy, you excited to see your grandbaby?" I asked as she closed the door before turning to give me a hug "Of course I am baby; I see that you're feeling better today". Backing out of the driveway, I let her know how I was feeling and told her about the conversation I had with Mia as we drove to the doctors. Parking the car, I take a deep breathe before getting out and locking the doors; following my mom towards the reception before filling in my details.

"Cole Amara" the nurse announced before smiling as my mom and I approached her as she led us down the hall to a patient's room. "From the information you provided, you took an at-home pregnancy that provided a positive result. I'm going to take a blood sample then I will need you to collect a urine sample in this container for me, okay sweetheart?" the nurse said smiling softly; nodding I prepared myself to get blood drawn. Holding onto my mom before letting out a screech as the needle pierced my arm making the nurse laugh lowly before showing me to the bathroom. Sitting in the doctor's office, I wipe my hands on my jeans to calm myself down causing my mom to grab my hand; "Don't worry baby" she says before kissing my hand.

Doctor Beth walks in with a smile on her face before saying "Welcome back pretty girl and looking at these results congratulations are in order, so congrats Amara, you're going to be a good mommy. We're going to check on the baby to see how far along you are okay?" Still stuck on her first sentence, I feel my heart race as the confirmation makes the whole situation surreal to me. Lifting up my shirt, I lay down as Doctor Beth places the cold blue gel on my tummy before beginning the ultrasound. Pointing at the screen, Doctor Beth says "And there's the little munchkin, looks to be just under 6 weeks." I lock eyes with my mom as tears fill my eyes and she fans her face before standing up to hug me before kissing my forehead "Look at your baby Amara, look at my grandbaby."

As a steady heartbeat sounds throughout the office, I knew my heart belonged to this tiny human growing within me; smiling as a tear escapes and runs down the side of my face.

                  🏥DOCTOR'S VISIT: