Chapter 1: What Happened?

It had been about a moon since the passing of my mothers parents. It still felt like it had been just yesterday however. They had died of some sort of sickness, and my grand father had been a medicine cat as he would call it, but he could not cure himself...
I still missed all of the cool little stories that her dad would tell me about the giant groups of cats, that once ruled the outer world. They did not exist any more, and I wondered if they really were as powerful as he had told me. If they were powerful, than why did they so easily fall apart? I shook my head, as I stared through the window of our little twoleg place.
I did not exactly like living in here, but I knew that it was safe. I had heard the horror stories that my mother would tell me about what it was like, outside of the walls that we were confined in. If it truly were that scary, than she was right, we were lucky with where we were at right now.
We were lucky that her friend had let us live with him, and his twolegs at his place as well. He seemed like a bit of a strange cat, and I never really got to talk to him all that much. He kind of scared me though, and I was not quite sure if I even wanted to try to ever talk to him.
I knew that a part of me should not feel that way, as he was my moms best friend. I could not help it though, the whole world scared me, if I was going to be honest. It was a lot of the reason that the stories my mom told me about going out in the wild, scared me so much in the first place.
I was still a kit, and I really could not help it. I stared through the window for quite some time still, as I wondered what it really was like out there. I was not sure if I ever would get to know what it was like. I was not too sure if I ever wanted to find out either.
We were lucky where we lived at right now, and it was safe as well. I knew my mother would always get a fair bit upset at her father, because she thought that he was trying to get in my head, that the woods were safe, and all was friendly out there.
I always knew that she was right as well, due to the main fact that he would never have a response, back to what it was that she had said to him. I felt a bit bad for him as well, as I could tell that he had really loved living in those so called clans.
They did not exist any more, and they would never come back. At least, that is what his mate would always so back to him. I was never really a big man of my moms mother. I was always a bit embarrassed as well too, I had gotten my name from her.
We had the same problem when were were kits, there was something that was messed of with our paws. She had the name Brokenfoot, and my mother for some mean reason, had decided to name me Limp. It kind of hurt me to know that my mother had done that, even if I did in fact love her to pieces.
I turned away from the window that I had been staring into for quite some time now, as I looked over to where my brother, and my sister were playing beside each other. I looked at the both of them for a few moments, and I squinted my eyes at them.
They were fighting, as they usually tended to do, seeing which cat was the better fighter. Sometimes they had their claws out, when they got a little bit too serious about it. That was usually when my mother was not around, and I always had to break them apart.
It always hurt me when they did that as well, as they usually had some pretty mean words to say back to be when I interrupted them from their fight. I closed my eyes at the same time as well, as I remembered the last time that I had seen them fighting.

My sister Gift, ran at my brother pike, with a loud hiss, as I saw that she had her claws out. I could already tell that it was going to get far too serious, when my brother had told her that he would have been the leader of the clans, if he had been around for it.
I never understood that, I was not quite sure what it was that was so good about being leader to those cats. It seemed a bit scary, and a bit stressful to always have to step up, and lead a clan. I guess they just thought it would be cool for them to have the power.
I shook my head, as my focus went on them at the same time as well, as I saw my sister land right on top of him, and then she began to scratch deep into the fur of my brother. My brother yelled in pain, as he pushed her off of him at the same time as well.
I stared for a few moments, a bit surprised, and a bit confused as to what it was that my sister had just done to him. I moved up from where it was, that I had been sitting at on the small little twoleg bed. I saw my brother hiss back at Gift, and then he began to speak back to her.
"You dare do that to me? You will pay for that now!" He yelled back at my sister. I then sat there for a few moments, as I waited to see what it was that he was going to do next. I stared for just a little bit, until I spotted something on the spot that Gift had just attacked him at.
It looked like a fairly big cut, as I saw there was a fair amount of blood coming from him, and a bit of it was dripping on the floor at the same time as well. I then suddenly realized what it was that my brother was about to do back at her.
It seemed like he was going to make an even bigger cut than she had. At first these fights had just been more of play fights, but recently they had gotten into a bit more than just that, and this time I could see blood for the first time as well.
I then jumped in between my brother and my sister at the same time as well, as I did not want to see them hurt each other. My brother hissed at me at the same time too, as I saw a bit of a smile on the look of my sister, as she did her best to hide it from my brother.
She knew that I had just saved her, and that my brother was going to really hurt her. He was by far the biggest, and strongest cat out of our whole litter. There was no denying it, and my sister was lucky that I had stepped in, because she knew that he would not do anything to hurt me.
I turned my head to my brother at the same time as well, as I was a bit angry for what it was that my sister had just done to him. He really had it coming with what he had said to her I suppose though. I shook my head at him, to get him to control himself, as I began to speak to him.
"It's not worth it Pike... We know you would win, I do not want you to hurt each other..." I said to my brother. He looked at me for just a few moments, as I saw he had his eyes squinted at me at the same time as well. After a bit longer too, he slowly began to put his claws back into place.
I felt a bit of a breath of fresh air too, as I was lucky that I had stopped a potential very deadly fight. I nodded to myself, as I was a bit proud of myself in fact. I then heard my sister begin to talk back to me at the same time as well, as I listened to what it was that she had to say to me.
"You are one to talk Limp... You are the runt of the litter, you couldn't even breath on me." She said back to me. I looked at her for a few moments as well, as I was just about to nearly hiss at her, and run at her, just like she had done to me brother a few moments ago.
I stopped myself luckily at the same time though, as I did my best to try not to get too angry. My grand mother had been trying to get me to control my anger. My sister knew it often got the best of me as well, and I knew she was egging me on to run at her.
I knew that she was right at the same time as well however. I knew that I had been the smallest out of all of us, and at times as well, it was often fairly hard for me to even walk. I would stand no chance in a fight against her, if I even tried.
I closed my eyes at the same time as well, as it hurt me a fair amount. Things had not seemed the same after we had lost our grand parents to that strange sickness that had killed a lot of cats that had lived around our area. My brother and my sister had been getting into worse fights, and life seemed to feel a fair bit lonely.
I kept my eyes closed, and my head down low to the ground, as I felt the warmth of another cat begin to come up next to me. At first I had thought that it was my grand parents, until I remembered that they were no longer with us.
I then thought that it might be my mother, though I knew that she was never really nearly as nice to me, as she was to my brother and my sister. My brother knew that as well, and he felt a bit bad for me. Me and my brother were very close with one another.
A lot closer than I was with my sister that was at least. She was such a mean cat, and sometimes I wish that she did not even exist. My brother always told me not to wish that though, as I knew that either way, she was still my own kin.
I opened my eyes, as I saw that it was in fact my brother. I had forgotten that my mother had gone out of the twoleg place with her friend Nut. She told us a lot that the wild was scary, but it seemed that she went out there with him a lot.
I often wondered what it was that they did out there in fact. She had gone out there a lot more, and for a lot longer periods of time, now that we had finally grown our teeth in, and instead of her having to breast feed us all of the time, she let us eat the dry food, that the owners gave us.
I missed eating her breast milk, as strange as it was to say. The dry food that we ate, it just was purely nasty to me. I knew that my brother and sister were a lot different than me on that, and they were a bit embarrassed by the fact that they had once been drinking our mothers breast milk.
I lifted my head up to my brothers, as we locked eyes with each other, as I saw him smile just a fair bit at me. I smiled right back at him as well, as he then nodded to me at the same time too. After a bit longer, of us just staring at one another, he then decided to speak to me.
"It is okay Limp... Do not let her get to your head." He whispered quietly for only me to hear. I was not sure that my sister cared any longer, as I saw her walk away from us. He kept on going on with what he had been saying to me. "I know that she can be like that at times... But just because you are the smallest, does not mean you are the weakest... I see great things from you some day, my little sis..."
I looked at him for just a few moments, as we rubbed up against each other as well, as he sure did know how to warm up my heart at times like these. Especially since it was a bit cold outside at this time of year, he also warmed by body up as well.
We held on to each other for just a few moments longer, as I heard each one of us purr to each other. I closed my eyes, but just as I did that, I heard the flap door to the house make the flopping noise that it did when someone walked through it.
I opened my eyes at the same time, as I saw that it was my mother, and she locked eyes with me and my brother right away as well. She had her eyes squinted at me for some reason though, as she looked a bit angry as she began to speak.
"Your bleeding Pike! What happened?"