Chapter 16: Come With Me

I stood there, at the edge of the fence, for not the first time in the last 2 days, as I stared at all that was around me, as it all looked so scary, but at the same time, I could not help but think of how beautiful it was as well. It brought a big smile to my face, just even getting to see a little glimpse of the big world that I had been told about.
I imagined living out there some day, and having a wonderful mate, who loved me to death. I blinked a few times, as I thought about the fact that Brokenfoot, and Pintclaw had been mates as well. They had got to die with one another, that was at least some what happy to think of.
I hated thinking back on them at the same time though, as it made me want to cry. I looked away at the woods that were in front of me, as I then stared at the ground. I saw that my sister seemed to be doing the same as I, though I did not go near her, to try to help her, like I had tried to do earlier.
She had pushed me away, and it hurt me quite a bit. I knew that we were never close with one another, and she was always mean to me. She was my sister though, and I could not just so easily break that bond with her. It did not seem that she felt the same way as I did however, which was a bit strange, as she was the one that was always mean to me, rather than having it be the other way around.
I knew that my sister was deeply hurt as to the fact that Nut had not even been there to say one last goodbye to all of us. It was a bit mean of Nut, but I knew at the same time as well, that I should not be too worried about all of that, at the current moment.
At some point it would all be in the past. I wondered if Gift even knew the reason that he had not been there for us in the first place. Did she still not get the point, that Nut had been madly in love with our mother, for quite some time as well.
I blinked, as I shook my head, and I then looked away from my sister, no longer feeling bad for her, as I looked on the other side of me, seeing a much different look, to my surprise as well, on the face of my brother Pike. It shocked me so much, due to the fact, that much like my sister, he had been quite close not Nut as well.
He seemed to be handling in much better than she was however, as it was a bit more of a surprise to me, as it was typically my brother that seemed to get his feelings hurt, a lot more than my sister did. I blinked a few times, as I saw what it was that Pike was so excited for as well.
I saw him looking all out in the woods, that were around us, and I saw a big smile on his face, as it looked as if he wanted to jump down from the fence, and go play in the woods. I almost wanted to go with him, and join him at the exact same time too.
I knew that my mother would not be too happy about that, as I knew that she would run after us, to try to stop us from doing so. I shook my head, as I did my best to hide the laughter that had nearly fallen out of my mouth, as I knew that my sister was not too amused by anything right now.
I let out a bit of a soft sigh to myself, as I looked out in to the large forest that was ahead of us. It did not quite look like the forest that I had been told of, by Pintclaw and Brokenfoot, but then again, I knew that they had told me, that they had come from a long ways away from where we were at.
Where we were at, that was past tense of course now, as we no longer lived at Nuts place. It was very kind of Nut to let us live there for the beginning of our lives, and I still felt a bit bad for him, as I thought on all of it. I knew at the same time though, that the rest of us, we needed to move on with our own lives, and decide what our future had in store for us.
I was sad that we were going to leave Nut, but at the same time though, I was also excited for the next step in life, that was about to be ahead of us, and from the looks on the face of my brother, he seemed to feel a bit of the same way that I did, just based off of the look that I saw on his face, at the current moment in time.
I stared at the forest for a bit of some time, as I saw that there were not many birds, or squirrels for that matter, like I had been told about by Pintclaw and Brokenfoot. I wondered if it was because, just like the wild cats, they were too afraid to go anywhere near a two leg place.
I blinked a few times, as I was a bit amused by all of this, as I kept on looking at the trees, that the leaves were falling down from from time to time as well. I knew what time of the year it was, and I knew what time of the year was coming next, right after this season passed over us.
It was the cold, and that was the most dangerous season of all, as I had been told at least. They had said that all of the animals went in hiding, and it was hard for many cats to find food, and it left many cats starving a lot of the time as well.
They had said it was when cats got the most sick, and many cats died from those sicknesses. It was crazy to think about, as they had died when it had been a perfectly fine time of the year. It scared me to even think about how bad it would be, when leaf bare fell upon us.
But I suppose, it would not be nearly as bad for us, as it was one of the few times that they had said a good thing about the two legs. They had said that they would keep us safe, and they would keep us warm. We would be fine, so long as we had them around us.
I looked down at the ground once again, as I thought about Nuts own two legs, that were around the den on a rare occasion. When they were around, they usually went close to us, and they would rub up against us, and warm us up as well. Sometimes, they would even give us some sort of treat.
That would be gone now though, but I was not too worried about that, as they were not around all that often, and I had to assume that we were going to be going to a new two leg place, just based off of the way that I had heard my mother talking to Nut last night.
I shook my head, as I blinked a few times as well. I had been so lost in my head, I had not known as to all that was going on around me. We had been standing on the top of this fence for some time now, and I looked around a bit confused as to why it was that we were still here.
Our mother told us that we needed to get up early, so that we could try to get over to our new home, as soon as we possibly could. When we first had been looking at the forest in front of us, the sun had just been rising on the top of the horizon.
Now at this point, it had fully reached that point, but for some reason, we were still standing here, on top of this fence. I looked over at my mother, as I saw, that she too, much like my brother, was just looking around, with a big smile on her face, enjoying the view in front of her.
I felt like she was happy for a different reason than Pike was though. I knew that she had just spoken of the fact that she had a new mate. It surprised my quite a bit, but at the same time, I felt like I should have seen it coming, as I had thought that she would have told us, but I knew that she often was a cat to keep a lot of secrets from us.
I stared at my mother for a bit more time, as it was almost as if she had felt me staring, as if we often shared the same thoughts, though I doubt that was the truth. My mother then blinked a couple of times, as she then turned her head over to me and Gift.
Gift was still staring at the ground, with quite the angry look on her face, I tried to shake off those thoughts, as I was not happy with her at the moment, so it was a bit hard for me to feel bad for her at the same time as well. I shook my head, as I just looked back at my mother.
My mother kept the same smile on her face, even through all of this, and even though she knew that my sister was not happy with any of it, she did not seem to care one bit. She shook her head, more at herself, as she then began to speak to us, and I listened, as to what it was that she had to say.
"Alright... You guys have done enough staring at this point... I think it is time for us to go ahead and get started." She said to me and Gift. She turned her head to Pike at the same time too, just to make sure that he had heard her as well, as he had been a bit lost in his mind, just staring off in to the woods.
Pike blinked a few times, as he noticed that our mother had been staring at him for some time now, as he looked a bit confused at first, as if he had not heard a single word of what it was that had just been said a few moments ago. I rolled my eyes at him, as my mother let out a bit of a sigh, as she puffed out her fur as well.
Pike stood there for a few moments, as he had a bit of a blank look on his face, as it did not seem as if he had heard a word of what it was that our mother had just now said to all of us. I wanted to laugh at it, but once again, I held it in, as I knew that my sister was not too happy right now.
My I looked back behind me, and over to my sister at the same time as well, as to my surprise, I saw that she had her head up, and she was well aware as to all that was going on at the current moment, much unlike it seemed my brother Pike was right now.
My sister shook her head, as I knew that she was not too happy with all of this at the moment. It looked as if she might lunge at my brother as well, as I saw that she had her claws out at the exact moment. I held in my breath, as I waited for her to jump over me, and at my brother, at any moment.
I stared there for a bit of time, as I continued to wait, but at each passing moment, it then began to seem like it was to not be the case, as if my sister had gotten over all of that, all of the sudden, just in one days time.
She held it in, as to the best of her abilities, which was saying a lot for her as well. She just stared at my brother for a bit of some time, as she spoke in a calm and sooth voice, but it was a voice that seemed to have a deeper meaning from the inside.
It was as if she was acting completely calm on the outside, and her voice seemed to be calm, but on the inside, I felt a deeper, and much more angry meaning. I shook my head though, as I listened to what it was that she had to say to him anyways.
"Listen to what Nifty said... It's time for us to go dummy." She said to him. I blinked a few times, as I was a bit confused, as well as a bit surprised that she had some how managed to hold in all of that anger for once. Gift did not seem to notice my reaction at all, or she just did not care.
Pike sat there for a bit of time, as I still saw that he had a bit of a blank look on his face for a bit of time, as if he had not a clue as to what it was that she had said to him just now. The look on his face did not last for all that long however, as he blinked, and then the normal look on his face, that he typically had, suddenly seemed to come back to him.
I let out a bit of a sigh of relief as well, as based off of the fact that our mother saying that she wanted us to get up early in the morning, I had to assume that we had a long ways for us to be headed off to. No one seemed to catch the loud sigh that I had.
All of the eyes at the current moment in time, were all locked on my brother Pike, as I watched, as he looked at each one of us for a couple of seconds, and then he eventually nodded at the exact same time as well. He then began to speak a response to what it was that my sister had said to him, not too long ago.
"Yes... Sorry, the view is just amazing... You go ahead and show us the way to where it is that we need to go Nifty." He said at first, to my sister, Gift, and then at our mother Nifty. I looked back over at my sister, to see her reaction to what it was that he had said just now.
She seemed to care less at any of it, as I had thought that she might at least take a quick look at the forest that was right beside of us. It was not the case at all, as she just stared at our mother now, as it now seemed that she was waiting for her response to all of this.
My mother did not seem to notice my sister at all however, as she instead was looking at my brother, which made sense as well, now that I came to think of it, as my brother had just mentioned her name to all of us. I blinked a couple of times, as I was still at a bit of a loss for words in my brain, as to what was going on at the current moment.
I sat there for a bit of time, as I couple almost feel the sense coming from my sister, that she was not all that happy with how much time this was taking out of our day right now. I could not help but agree with my sister as well, as Nifty had been the one that had been in a rush to get up so early.
I sat there for a few moments, as it was a little bit of some time of silence in the air, as I was almost tempted to go and look back in the woods one more quick time. Finally however, my mother, Nifty, then responded to what it was that Pike had said to her just now, as I saw her nod, and I listened to what it was that she had to say to him.
"Of course... Sorry... I am just so excited for all of you to meet him!" She said to my brother, but at the end of her sentence, she turned her head over to me and Gift, so that we knew that she had meant it towards us at the same time as well.
I was a bit excited for all of this, and the new path that was ahead of us in life, so I had quite the happy look on my face. I saw my mother look at my sister from behind me, as her happy look seemed to go away, as she shook her head, and then looked back at Pike.
I did not look at my sister this time, as I knew that the reason that the happy look on Niftys face had gone away in the first place, was because Gift did not have nearly the same happy look that me and our mother had. I let out a bit of a quiet sigh to myself as well.
I stared back at the forest one last time, as I had remembered that Nut had also showed us, just how big the two leg place had been, in the first place. I began to get shivers down my spine, as I looked at the forest, for one of the first times, and perhaps one of the last times, for at least a little while, until I was old enough to make my own decision.
I was also worried about that too, as I felt like my mother would be holding me back for a long time, as I knew that she viewed me as a weak kit, and she was overly protective of me, as she did not want me to get hurt. It was fair enough I suppose, as at least I knew that she did in fact, love me.
I shook my head, as I looked away from the forest once again, and over to my mother, and Pike, who were still standing in the same spot on top of the fence, as if my mother had not said what she had just said to us, a couple of moments ago.
I blinked a couple of times, as I did my best to try not to freak out as well, as I then began to take in, all that was going on at the moment. We were about to go to a new home, with knew cats, and new two legs. I was not sure if I was ever going to have the same happy life that I had here.
Now that I began to think about it that way, it then began to hit me, just how scary all of this was. I tried my best not to do so, but it all was just a bit too hard for me not to. I looked over at my mother, who still had her eyes on my brother for some odd reason.
My brother had his eyes back on the forest, as if I might have reversed time, and it all had gone backwards a few moments. I knew that was not the case though, as I could hear a few angry groans from my sister too. It got the attention of my mother as well, as she turned her head around finally.
As I saw her now looking at me and my sister, a bit confused as to which one of us it was for some reason. I realized now, that this was the perfect time for me to talk to my mother, and tell her all of my fears, while she had her attention on us. I nodded to my mother, as she squinted her eyes at me, a bit confused, as I then began to speak to her.
"I am scared mom... Is your mate actually a nice cat? Will we ever get to see the forest again?" I said to her. She stood there for a few moments, just staring at me for quite some time, taking in, all that I had said to her just now.
She then blinked a few times, as I saw that she had a bit of a shocked look on her face, as to what I had just now said to her. I was a bit confused by it, and also a bit worried by it as well, as I was not sure if she was surprised that I was worried, or if she was surprised by the fact that I liked the forest so much.
She stood there, and stared at me for a bit more time, as I saw her dip her head down a bit low to the ground, though she still had her eyes on me through all of it. She let out a bit of a sigh, which scared me a bit, as I now was getting even more worried about all of this.
She sat there for a bit more time, as it was making me afraid, that she had still not spoken yet. To my surprise though, once again, I saw a bit of a smile pop up on her face, which confused me quite a bit. She then nodded to me, as she began to speak to me.
"Of course, he is the most amazing cat I have ever met... Why do you think I fell in love with him? And yes! We have a beautiful view of the forest through the window, if you go to the top room of the den!" She said to us. I looked at her a bit confused, and a bit surprised at the same time, as to what it was that she had just now said to me.
I was not sure how to take in what it was that she had just said, as I was not sure what she had meant by it. I was a bit excited by the fact that I would get a good view, which was something that I had always wanted to have, while living in Nuts two leg place.
I spent a lot of time staring through the window, though there was often not much for me to see, besides the rare occasion that a bird was to fly up in the yard. I began to hop up and down a bit, though I did not do it too hard, as I knew that the fence was not all that steady.
I saw that my mother was happy that she saw that I was excited, as I once again saw a big smile pop up on her face. I stood there for a bit of time as well, as all things seemed to be going great as it was, at the current moment in time.
At least, that was for me. My sister on the other hand, did not seem to happy about any of this still, as she had not gotten over to fact that we would be leaving Nut. I heard her begin to speak in an angry tone once again, right back to our mother.
"Okay... So you got us up early for what reason again? We sure are wasting a lot of time! Are we going to go, or not?" She said to Nifty. Nifty looked at her, as I saw that she was a bit shocked, by the tone of her voice, as I expected her to get a bit angry by it as well.
To my surprise though, she seemed to have a bit of an understanding look on her face, as I saw her dip her head to the ground, a bit low. I knew that Gift would not be too happy by it as well, as it was the opposite of what it was that she had just now said.
I blinked a few times, as I turned my head back over to my mother, expecting her to respond to her at any moment now, as I knew that she had been the one that had been in the rush to get out of the den last night. Now it seemed as if it were the opposite of that, and Gift had taken the place of our mother now.
I stared at my mother for a little while, as I saw that she still had her head to the ground for a bit more time, which I knew was not making Gift any more happy either. She stared at the fence below her for a little bit longer, as I heard her let out a bit of a sigh.
My brother, Pike, then seemed to step in on all of this however, as I saw him poke his head out just a little bit, across the body of Nifty. He had a big smile on his face, as I could tell that he was still as excited as ever, as he then began to speak up to all of us.
"Come on Gift! We can still see Nut! Lighten up a bit! I am sure the new home is going to be great!" He said back to our sister Gift. I looked at my brother, and then I nodded in agreement to what it was that he had said to Gift just now.
I then looked back over at Gift, as it did not seem, that she agreed with a single word of what it was that Pike had just now said to her. She had her eyes squinted at him, as I saw that she held quite the angry look on her face still. It seemed to nothing good at all, as to what it was that he had said to her.
I let out a bit of a quiet sigh as well, as I hoped that Gift was not like this for too long. It was bad enough the way that she acted on most days, but I would much rather have that, than an angry, and a sad version of her walking around all of the time.
I stared at Gift for a bit of some time, as she shook her head at Pike. Pike did not seem to care at all by any of it however, as I saw that he had his eyes back on the woods. Gift was about to speak back to him as well, but to my surprise, our mother Nifty finally decided to speak.
"I expected you to say your last goodbyes to Nut, and for you to enjoy some chill air. It is going to be a long walk, so, if you are ready, come with me."