Chapter 15: Goodbyes

I sat there for just a few moments, as I looked a bit sadly at my mother for a little while. She had her eyes closed, and she had not noticed that I was still awake when she had walked in to the room with my brother, and my sister, who were already asleep.
I had fallen asleep earlier, even though I had seen the strange bird looking at me. It kind of spooked me out a bit, but at the same time, there was also some thing that felt so strange, and interesting about it, and I felt like I wanted to know more.
I wanted to ask my mom if it was normal for a bird to act the way it had earlier, as I was sure that it was not, but I knew that her response was going to be the same as it typically was, as she would say "Stop asking so many questions! You will find out how the world works soon enough!"
I had never been told of a bird that acted like that when it saw a cat. It typically ran off, when ever a cat got near it, as if we were going to kill it, even if it was just a kittypet like me. I blinked a couple of times, as I thought about that for a little while as well.
A part of me did not want to be a kitty pet, but at the same time, I could not help but believe some of the stuff my mother told me, about what it was like to live in the wild, and how it was all so scary, and it was in fact not fun at all, like Brokenfoot and Pintclaw often made it out to be.
It was not just that though, they told me about some of the scary things that were out there, they just rarely brought it up, as it was clear that they only wanted to focus on the good memories that they had, about living back in the time of the so called 'clans'.
I shook my head, as I looked back at the doorway that was in front of me. It was dark out side, and it was night time, but the lights the lit up the room that we were in, when ever it was in the night, were doing a good job to make it easy to see in the room that I was in.
I looked at the door way for a bit of some time, as if I expected Nut to just be staring at the door way that I was, from the other side. I felt bad for the poor cat, as I knew that he was always in love with my mother, she just never felt the same for him.
Sure, maybe I was not like my brother and sister were, and how they looked up to him in such high standards, but I still knew that he was a good cat, and I felt like my mother should at least give the poor tom a chance.
I shook my head though, as I thought about the cat that she had been talking about with Nut earlier. She had fallen in love with a different cat, and she had said that we were going to go move in to his place, with him. She did not mention anything about two legs though, so I was a bit lost on that topic.
She usually brought up two legs, as she thought of them in high regards for some odd reason. I knew that they fed us, but I rarely ever saw Nuts two legs around our home, so I was never quite sure why my mother thought of them so highly.
I shook my head though, as I then looked away from the door that I had been staring at for quite a bit of some time now. I looked at my brother and my sister, who were safe and sound asleep at this point, and then over to my mother, who I had to assume was the same for her.
I let out a bit of a sigh, more to myself, as I then stayed on the tower that I had fallen asleep on earlier, as I did not feel like heading over to my bed right now. I knew it was more comfortable, and it would give me better sleep, but I just did not want to do so.
Our mother said that we needed to get good sleep, as it was going to be the most long and hard day that we would ever have to endure tomorrow, but I did not care all that much at all, as I stayed where I was at right now, and then I fell in to a deep state of sleep.

I woke up, and I looked around, to see as to where it was that I was at right now, as I then saw that I did not notice anything around me at all. I knew that I was going to be in one of those weird dreams that I sometimes had.
It had happened a lot less frequently after the death of Pintclaw and Brokenfoot, but here I was again. I had told them about the dreams that I had been having, where I woke up in a random place in the wild, and I saw such strange things.
They told me that it was the Starclan cats trying to tell me something. My mother laughed when they had told me that, as I knew that she did not believe in those cats at all. I had to side with my mother on that one as well for once, as it was a bit hard for me to believe in a bunch of dead cats that were supposed to help the clans.
They clearly did not help the clans when the clans had fallen apart. At the same time, I felt like it might be true, but I was not sure why they would be coming to me to tell me something... I was a kittypet, and not just that, but I was also a kit.
My mother said that I was just having dreams of what they had told me about what the wild was like, and what my mind imagined it to be. I felt like what she said was true, but at the same time, it felt like all of what I saw out here in my dreams, was a bit to good for what my mother had said to be true.
I blinked a couple of times, as I looked at the place that I was at right now. It was nothing like what I had been told was around the lake. So I was not too sure as to where it was that I was at right now. Maybe they had told me about this place, but my mind had forgotten about it, and it was my sub conscious taking over right now.
I shook my head though, as I felt like I should not worry about any of it. At first when I had seen these types of places, it had scared me, but I was now used to it, and I realized that it was just a dream as well, and that nothing bad could happen to me.
I smiled a bit, as I spotted a very big nearby tree, that had a squirrel right beside it. I looked at the squirrel for a few moments, as I thought back on the time that Pintclaw had showed all of us how to hunt, and what type of animals it was that we needed to catch.
I tried to think back on how it was that Pintclaw had showed us how to hunt a squirrel. It was just so hard for me to think back on it, as I was in a dream right now, and I could not think back on how he had showed us to catch a squirrel.
I shook my head, as I knew that it did not really matter anyways, as I had heard that you never caught what it was that you were trying to get when you were in a dream. I just felt like I should enjoy the moment, and where I was at right now.
I smiled to my self, as I then began to all of the sudden run at the squirrel, with out thinking one bit, of catching it or not. The squirrel then disappeared right in front of my eyes however, as I blinked a couple of times, as I was quite a bit confused as to what was going on at the moment.
Usually when I was hunting something in a dream, It would run off before I got the chance to catch up to it, but this time the squirrel just straight up went away from me, right in front of my very own eyes. I blinked a couple of times, as I looked around, to see if I might have just missed it.
I looked around for a couple of seconds, as it was nowhere to be seen. I let out a bit of a sigh, as I felt like I should just give up, and enjoy the area that I was in right now. Just as I stopped, to stair up at the sky, I then spotted something move from the corner of my eye.
I turned my head over to it, right away, to see what it was that it could be. I stood there for a couple of seconds, as for some reason my vision got a little bit blurry. After it beginning to focus in a little, I realized that it was the exact same squirrel that I had seen just a few moments ago.
I blinked at it a couple times, as I saw it staring at me right in my eyes, almost as if it was smiling at me, and doing its best to try to tempt to go after it, almost as if it had a smile on its small little face of it. I shivered as I looked away from it.
When I turned my head away from it though, it then showed up right in front of me when I looked from a different angle. I squinted my eyes at it, as it just stood still, and waited for me to run at it again, just like I had done a few moments ago.
I thought about closing my eyes, and pretending that it were not there at all. I knew that was always worked, when I wanted to get out of a dream, such as a scary one. This was not really a scary dream that I was in right now though, it was more just a confusing one.
I let out a bit of a sigh, as I began to slowly sneak up on the squirrel, as it continued to stare me down. I looked at it for a bit longer, as it did not seem to be acting the same way that a normal squirrel acted, whenever they saw a cat nearby it.
I stopped, as it kept on staring at me, as ot was clear that it knew that I was there with it. I shook my head, as I had been told that when you were hunting for an animal, such as a squirrel, you had to be sneaky, and you had to catch it while it was no expecting you.
This squirrel clearly saw I was coming, but it did not seem to care at all. I blinked a couple of times, as I then decided that I was not going to chase after it, such as I had done just a few moments ago. The squirrel tilted its head at me, as if it was a fair bit surprised.
Suddenly, much unlike last time, the squirrel ran off, rather than disappearing right in front of me. I watched it run off it the woods ahead of me, as I thought about chasing after it for a few moments. I decided not to in the end, as I was a bit confused as to what was going on in this dream.
I watched the squirrel run further off, as just before it got out of my vision, it suddenly stopped and began to stare at me once again for some reason. I felt like I should ignore it, and perhaps close my eyes to get out of the dream that I was in, or perhaps I should even explore the area that I was around.
Something had me attached to the squirrel for some reason, as I suddenly began to follow the squirrel in to the woods, for no such reason what so ever. Once I began to draw closer to the squirrel that was in front of me, it then began to scurry off once again.
I was now starting to get a bit annoyed, as it seemed like this was going to be the entire dream that I was in at the exact moment. I let out a bit of a soft sigh, as I shook my head, and then I began to follow where the squirrel had gone off to once again.
I looked around, as I expected it to be somewhere around the area that I was in at the exact moment, but it was no where to be seen. I let out a bit of a loud grunt, as I shook my head. This time I began to start to close my eyes, to get out of the pointless dream that I was stuck in at the moment.
I sat there for a bit of time, until I heard a familiar voice begin to speak to me, from not too far away from me. I looked up, and blinked a few times, as I was a bit confused as to what was going on at the exact moment, and where I had heard the voice come from as well.
I looked around for a couple of seconds, as I then spotted the squirrel on the left side of me, and it was the same squirrel that I had seen from earlier. I stared at it for a few seconds, as I was a bit annoyed, as to what was going on, and what was the reason behind it.
The squirrel stared at me for just a few more seconds, as I locked eyes with its little eyes. It stood there for a couple of seconds, as this time I did not dare go over to it. It did not seem to matter though, as it then began to run off, just as it had done earlier.
I was getting a bit tired of all of this, and I wanted it to just end. I knew the easy way out, was to just close my eyes, and I thought about doing so, until I heard the familiar voice begin to yell to me, once again, though this time it was a bit closer than before.
I was not sure why the voice was familiar to me, or who it could be, but I did not close my eyes this time, as it felt like this could be something important. I wondered where the voice had come from, as it still seemed to vibrate all across the woods that I was in.
I looked around for a couple of seconds, as I hoped to find where I had heard the cat speak to me from, but as I kept on looking, I got no such sort of luck from it. I lowered my head to the ground, a bit sad, and a bit upset at the same time too.
It felt like this was something that was important to me, but I just could not find out where it could at. I blinked a couple of times, as I heard a scurry of what sounded like a squirrel fly past me once again. I spun around, a bit scared, as I tried to see where I had heard it come from.
I did not see a squirrel in sight any where however. I stood there for just a bit longer, as it suddenly hit me, as it felt like the forest was trying to tell me something. I turned my head over to where I had seen the squirrel run off to, not all that long ago.
I did not see it ahead of me, but I knew that I had to follow where it had headed off to. I began to slowly walk the way that it had gone. I looked around at the area that I was at right now, as looked at all of the trees that were all around me.
Something felt oddly familiar about where I was at right now, but I could not quite grasp as to what it could possibly be. I shook my head though, as I kept on going over to the area that I had seen the squirrel go over to, with a bit of a confused look on my face.
I then stopped, as I spotted the squirrel right in front of me. I blinked a couple of times, as I was a bit lost as to what was going on. It was not the fact that it had anything to do with the squirrel at the moment, but I instead saw something that shocked me.
It was my sister Gift, and she was laying beside some mossy roots. Not just that, she also did not seem to look to be in the best sort of condition either, as I was a bit scared for her. Even if she was not the best sister ever, I still cared for her, and I still loved her.
I stood there for a bit of time, as I was a bit shocked, and I bit scared, as I did my best to try to run over, and to make sure that she was okay, but it felt like some thing was holding me back, and I was stuck in place, as I could not move a muscle.
I stared at her, as I heard her cough, but what I saw from her cough, was not any kind of normal cough, as I could tell. I saw a fair amount of blood shoot out from her mouth, and this time I got even more scared for her, as I tried to move once again, yet it did no avail.
I blinked a couple of times, as I then suddenly saw another cat begin to walk over to her, as I got a bit scared for her, as she was in the woods, and I had heard from Brokenfoot, and Pintclaw, what they did to young kits, was not good at all.
My sister looked a bit bigger than she did when I saw her earlier, but it was still clear to me that she was a kit. She also looked a lot skinnier than I had ever seen her as well. I looked over at the cat that was walking over to her however, as I pulled out my claws.
It would not do much if it was a grown cat, and I was not much of a fighter any ways, but it at least made me feel a bit better, and a little bit safer as well, just for doing so. I watched the cat that was coming over to her, as it walked through the bush, that was clearly being used to protect my sister.
My sister looked over at the noise, but she looked a lot more calm than I was at the exact moment. It was a bit strange for me as well, as it seemed like she would be freaking out with how sick she was right now, but that just was not the case.
I then suddenly saw that cat, as it walked out of the bush that I had heard it coming from. I blinked a few times, as I was a bit shocked at the same time too. The cat that I was staring at right now... It was me... I shook my head, as I felt like this could not be real.
It was just a dream... Why would I be out in the woods with my sister, all alone none the less, and clearly starving? How could I even see myself any ways? I had a lot of questions going through my mind at the exact moment, but I doubted that I was going to get answers from anything right now.
Was this one of the visions that Brokenfoot had told me that she used to have, about the future? It kind of scared me to think about, as it also made a bit of sense as well too, as we were a bit bigger than we were right now. It also did not make sense to me, as to why we would be out in the woods.
Maybe one of us had thought that it would be a good idea to run off... Maybe we did not like our mothers mate at all in fact. It scared me to think about, but luckily I did not have to think for all that much longer, as I heard my sisters hurt voice begin to speak.
"Is Pike okay? Is he still looking for that herb? It's been 2 days now..." She said to the older version of me, that was right beside her. I looked at the older version of me, as I was a bit confused as to what was going on, as well as the fact that I was also a bit afraid too.
I began to shiver, as I tried to go over to my sister once again, as I could tell that she was very scared. For some reason I just could not move right now however, so I was stuck here just watching what was going on, and listening to what it was that they had to say.
I stared at myself for a bit of time, as it felt a bit strange to me. Suddenly my older self looked up at me for a few seconds, as I saw a bit of a sad look on its face, as it seemed to be looking right at me, as if it could see me. I knew it could not though, as it just as soon looked away at the same time too.
I blinked a couple of times, as I saw the older version of me, look down at the ground, with a bit of a sad look on my face. Suddenly I lifted my head up, and I looked over at my sister, with a bit of a sad look in my eyes as well, as I shook my head at her.
My sister lowered her head to the ground just as I had done, as it seemed as if she had lost all sort of hope to what ever it was that was going on right now. The older version of me stood there for a bit of time, as I let out a loud sigh, and then I began to speak back to my sister.
"No... I do not think that Pike is going to be back... He might have found his own home while he was looking for all we know." I said back to my sister. I blinked a couple of times, as I was a bit confused as to what was going on at the exact moment.
I knew that what I had just said did not seem to make the either of us feel any better for sure, so I was not quite sure why I had said that in the first place. I sat there for a while, as I tried to think on what it was that could be going on at the moment.
I could tell that my sister was sick, but what had she meant by herbs? My brother would not know a single thing about those, much less would I. I stared at the older versions of me and my sister for quite a bit of time, as I saw quite the sad look on the face of my sister right now.
I had never seen her this low before, as she had always been a happy kit in my eyes, even if she was not the nicest one. My sister sat there for a bit of time, as she kept her head down low to the ground as well. After a couple more moments however, she decided that she was going to respond to what I had just said to her.
"I hope that he is so then... Do you think the cats are ever going to find us? I feel worse every day..." She said to me. Both current me, and future me stood there for a bit of time, as I was still at a bit of a loss for words, as I had no clue as to what was going on right now.
I looked at the future version of me, as I saw quite the sad look on my face, as I had not seen me like that, since the day that our grand parents had passed on. I had a couple of tears dropping down my eyes that I could see as well, and I was a bit confused as to why I was so emotional right now.
The future version of me, then did something that I would have never thought I would have ever seen me do in my entire life, as I then got a bit closer to my sister, as we then rubbed fur with one another. I heard myself then begin to cry, as if I was scared, but also hurt at the same time too.
The future version of me sat there for a bit of time, as I did my best to stick with my sister, and keep her warm at the same time too, I sat there in silence for some time, as I then suddenly turned my head over to my sister, and then I spoke to her.
"I hope so too... I hope so too Gift..." I said to her, though it almost seemed as if my sister had already fallen asleep, as I felt a bit of loud, but also painful purr from her, as I could tell that she was in a lot of pain at the moment. I almost felt like I wanted to cry as well, as I had never been so close to my sister.
I shook my head though, as I knew that this was not real, and all of this was nothing but a strange dream. I dipped my head down low to the ground, as I thought that now was perhaps the perfect time to close my eyes, and leave this sad dream.
I looked up one quick time, to see that we were both fast asleep, but I suddenly saw something from the side of my vision. I looked over, as I saw a ginger from she cat, with a bushy tail, and white paws, staring at me, for a bit of time.
I looked back over at the she cat, as I then blinked, a bit confused as to what was going on at the exact moment. As I blinked however, that was when every thing then become dark, and it all went away.

I woke up, as I blinked a couple of times, to get rid of the blurry vision that I was having at the moment. I then looked right away at to where I had seen my sister sleeping at last night. I was worried for her, but she looked just fine as is right now.
She was stretching right beside my brother, as I heard them talking to one another quietly. I was happy that the both of them were getting along, rather than them fighting like they usually did. Though something felt a bit off, on the looks on their faces.
It then hit me, as to what had happened just the day before, as I had forgotten all about the fact that we were leaving our home today, and it would perhaps be the last time that we would see Nut. I then began to feel a bit bad for them, but at the same time I was a bit hurt too.
I did not realize how much Nut meant to me as well, until I then began to think about it a bit more... He always told us stories about the out doors. I closed my eyes for a couple of seconds, until I then heard my mothers voice, and I then looked over to her, to hear what it was that she had to say to all of us.
"Alright, get some food you guys! Then we must say our goodbyes!"