Chapter 24: Til The Morning

Pike looked at me for a few moments, as if he had not heard a word of what it was that I had just said to him. Gift seemed to be just the opposite of him, as I saw her head turn over to me, from the corner of my eye. I was not sure what to do, as it was quite the stressful situation to be in right now.
We had just lost our mother, as it was clear that she was gone. Thought the dream was a bit of a blur to me at this point, I now knew that the dream was in fact real. I had really seen my dead mother in it. I was not sure if it was even her however, as it was her body, but it did not seem to be either her voice, nor her soul.
I felt sick, as I knew I was acting like this was no big deal, and it kind of looked bad to the both of them, I was sure of. Especially Gift as well, who I knew had been very angry at Nifty, our mother, for the last few days. It seemed like all of that was behind her, as she knew that this was our mother, and she had in fact loved us.
I had never been close to her at all, just like the rest of my kin mates, but I still did love her, even after all of the mean things that she had said to me in the past. I knew I was a bit of a disappointment, and it hurt me, as I knew that was the way that she thought of me, and the way that she had always viewed me.
I let out a sigh, as I looked at the body of my dead mother, as a tear dropped from my face. I wish that we had not gone to this place, and we had just stayed at Nuts home. We were safe there, and the two legs could have helped our mother get better from the sickness that had eventually led to the end of her.
I closed my eyes, as it all started to sink in on me, all at once, as when I had first woken up, it had not hit me as hard as it did now. I kept my head down to the ground for a bit of some time as well, as neither of my kin mates said a word back to what it was that I had just said, for quite a bit of some time.
It stayed that way as well, as I breathed in the bit of a rotting stench, of the fact that we were in an abandoned two leg nest. As strange as it was to say, it made things feel a little bit better for me, as I felt like the thoughts of the fact that we were in a nasty place, was a lot better than the fact that I was standing next to the body of our dead mother.
Those thoughts did not last all that long how ever, as I just as soon, heard the loud and angry voice of Gift, begin to speak up to me. I was used to it as well, as it seemed almost like this was a normal day at the moment, and she was just finding any sort of a reason to get angry at me, and try to start a fight with me.
I opened my eyes, as I turned my head over to Gift at the exact same time as well. I was a bit lost, as it seemed like I had forgotten all that was going on at the moment. I blinked my eyes a few times, as I then saw the body of our dead mother in front of me, right behind Gift as well.
I felt sick, as I was about to dip my head to the ground, and get back in to the same position that I had been in, just a few moments before now, but Gift began to continue to yell at me, as I stared at her, and I listened as to what it was that she had to say to me too.
"You are such a soul less cat! We just lost our mother, and all you can think about, is that we need to go live out in your dream place?" She said to me. I looked at her for a few moments, as I tilted my head at the same time, as I was a bit confused on why she had attacked me in that way.
I blinked a couple of times, as I then realized at the same time too, that she had not been in the dream that I had been in, and she had not seen the things that I had seen. It made sense as to why she was so angry, as she did not have a clue on what it was that I was saying in the first place.
I stared at me sister, as she just hissed at me, and then she went back over to Nifty, and held on to her body for a bit longer, not worried by the fact that she was covered in blood at all. It felt a bit strange to me, as to the fact that she had said what it was that she had said to me then, and the way that she had said it at the same time too.
I almost wanted to laugh, as it was she, who was the one that typically seemed to be the soul less one out of of of our kin. I held in the laugh though, as I looked back at our mother, knowing that this was not the time for me to be laughing right now.
I looked over to Pike, as he did not seem to be paying any sort of attention on what was going on right now, as his eyes were just on our dead mother. Unlike Gift how ever, he did not dare go up to her body, and try to hold on to her at all.
I shook my head at the same time too, as I should not be looking for his help right now. Based off of the way that I had just said things, it was I who was the one who was in the wrong at the current moment. I looked away from my brother, as I then looked back over to Nifty and Gift.
I knew that I had to explain what I had meant by it, before we made some sort of big mistake. There was a lot of ways at this moment, that we could choose the wrong path, and not make it out of this alive. Even if it was a dream, I still believed a little bit in cats having an after life.
There was no other way, that I could see us getting out of this. We could not just steal from the dogs food bowl, and water for the rest of our lives. We were simply just kits, and we could not hunt, nor teach ourselves how to hunt either. I began to start to feel like going in to the woods was a bad idea.
What if it was just my self conscious telling me that I so badly wanted to go live out in the wild. I knew that I could not hunt, and we would soon die from starvation out there. There was no two legs to bring us dry food, or water out in the wild.
At the same time too though, I felt like it was real. It did not make sense that Nifty could have been in that, if I did not know if she was dead or not. I also knew that we did not have much of another choice at the same time too, as I turned my head back to Gift, and I squinted my eyes at her.
Gift seemed to notice it as well, even if she did not have her eyes on me at all, she turned her head back over to me, and she squinted her eyes at me as well. I blinked a few times, as I nodded at the same time too, as I knew that now was the time that I needed to speak, before we made up our mind, and we made the wrong decision.
Gift stared at me for a little while longer, as she tilted her head a little bit, but she then in fact, to my surprise, rather than getting angry at me, she instead nodded back to me. I almost wanted to smile again, but I held it in, as I then began to speak.
"Brokenfoot, she came to me in a dream last night... She told me that we needed to go in to the woods..." I began to say, as I was about to continue to the part with Nifty, but I held that in, as it felt a bit personal to me. I stared at her for a bit longer, as I then began to continue to speak to her. "You have to trust me in this... We have no where else to go..."
Gift stared at me for a few moments, as she had a bit of a blank look on her face, as if she had not heard a word of what it was that I had just said to her in the first place. I felt a bit sick, as I was not sure if I had done a good job of explaining that to her, or if she would even listen to me.
She did not listen to me, nearly every time, when I came up with a plan, or if I thought of a good idea. It would not surprise me at all, if she did not listen to me now. I dipped my head a bit low to the ground, at the same time as well, as I felt like I was about ready to give up on all of this.
Maybe it would just be better for us to die, so that we might be able to go live in Starclan, with the rest of our kin. I knew that those were dark thoughts at the same time as well, as I did my best to shake off all of those thoughts from my brain at the exact same time too.
Luckily, it did not take long for me to shake off all of the thoughts that I was stuck in at the moment, as I heard Gift begin to speak back to me at the same time as well, as I saw that she had her eyes squinted on me. I looked up at her, as I blinked my eyes at her, and then I listened to what it was that she had to say to me at the same time as well.
"You are crazy... We have plenty of other places to go... Why can't we just go back to Nuts place? If he hears what happened, than I am sure that he is bond to let us back in." She said back to me, as it did not even sound like she believed in what she had said was true or not.
I closed my eyes, as I let out quite the loud sigh, at the exact same time as well too, as I was not so sure what to say back to her. It always seemed to be all about Nut to her, and I was not sure how I was ever going to be able to shake those thoughts from her, or ever be able to change her mind.
Once she had made up her mind, she seemed to be stuck on that until the end of time. I did not want to leave her at all either, as I felt we had made a bit of a relationship with each other over the last few days. I felt like I needed my kin through all of this at the same tine as well.
I shook my head, as I opened my eyes at the same time as well, and I looked back up to her, and I squinted my eyes at her, at the exact same time too. She did not seem to be phased by it at all, as I was not sure what it was that I was going to say to her, to be able to change her mind.
I knew that I had to at least try my best to do so, as I knew that she did not often listen to me, when I said some thing to her. I stared at her for a bit of some time, as I could tell that it was getting her a bit nervous at the same time too, as I could tell that she was in a lot of stress at the moment.
It was not exactly what I had planned on doing, but at the same time as well, I also realized that it might just work, as I blinked a few times, and I then nodded to her. This time she did not nod back to me, as she kept her head dipped down low to the ground, through all that was going on at the current moment in time.
I shook my head, as I knew that I needed to not be worried about it. All that mattered to me now, was that I needed to take us to a safe place. It felt a bit strange of me, to even think that way of the wild, as they had always told me that it was not always a fun and a safe place to live at.
But at the same time as well, why had they come to me in that dream, and told me to go to that place? I did my best too not think too deep on it, as I knew that all of the answers that I was looking for, would come to me in due time. I stared at Gift for a little bit longer, as I finally began to speak to her as well.
"We went way to far... There is no way that we could be able to find our way to Nuts place... Even if by some miracle, we did so... He did not love us Gift... He was in love with our mother..." I said to her. Gift looked at me for a few moments, as it almost seemed like she was about to attack me, as I saw that she had her claws out.
I moved back, as I was a bit scared, and a bit afraid of it, as I was not going to lie to my self, as I knew that I was not by any means a strong cat. As I looked over at Pike, I saw that he had his head dipped low to the ground at the same time too, as I was not sure if I was going to get any sort of help from him either, if that was how things were going to go.
I shivered, as I looked back at Gift. I saw that she no longer had her claws out, as I saw that she instead had a few tears running down her face. It was clear that she realized that what I had just said to her, was in fact true. I was not sure whether or not Nut would let us in to his home, if we did find him.
It was not worth the risk of trying to find our way back there, as I was fairly certain that there was no way possible for us to get back to his nest. I shook off all of those thoughts at the same time too, as I kept my eyes squinted at Gift, at the same time too.
It felt like she was finally coming back to reality, if you wanted to call it that at least. I was not so sure if my dream was really some thing that you could call a reality or not. I shook off those thoughts though, as I saw Gift lift her head up, with a sad look on her face, as she began to speak to me, and I listened to what it was that she had to say.
"The wild is scary... You know that it is... Why can't we just go back to Hero's place at least... I am sure that we can at least find the way back there..." She said to me. I looked at her for a bit of some time, as I blinked at the same time too. I had not even thought about that, as it failed to even come to my mind.
I was sure that there was some sort of reason that Brokenfoot had told me to go out in to the wild, but now I was not sure if I could even fathom what the reason was for it. I stared for a little bit longer, as I gulped at the same time too, as I was not sure what to say back to her now.
We could very well go back to Hero's place, as I was starting to think that the dream that I had, was not real at all, and it was just a dream after all. I blinked a couple of times, as I kept my eyes on Gift, as she had a bit of a blank look on her face, as she did the exact same thing back to me.
We stared at one another, for quite a bit of some time, as suddenly, to my surprise, I heard a voice from the other side of the room that we were in right now, begin to speak up for once. Gift and me, both turned our heads over to Pike, as we listened to what it was that he had to say to the both of us.
"No... It is true... Pintclaw came in to my dream last night, and he told me the same thing... He said that we had to go to the woods... That was the safe place, and that was our future." He said to us. I blinked at Pike as I was a bit surprised as to what it was that he had just now said to me.
I was starting to feel like, maybe I was not going crazy, and maybe all of the stories that I had once been told about the Starclan cats, could in fact be true. I started to feel a little bit excited, as a bit of a smile popped up on my face, as I looked over to Gift, at the same time as well.
That smile did not last long, as I saw the dead body of Nifty right behind me, as I realized once again, that we had just lost our mother. I looked at Gift as well, as I could see that she did not look excited by this at all, as she had her eyes squinted at Pike, as if he was some kind of idiot.
I looked back over at Pike, at the same time as well, as it did not even look like he had believed what he had just said to us. I wondered if he might have lied about that, and it was just to get on my side, as he felt like it was the only real plan that would work for us.
But at the same time too, I do remember that in the dream, I had only seen Brokenfoot. I had cared for, and loved Pintclaw just as much as her, even if both me and Brokenfoot had a lot in common. I nodded to Pike, as he saw me do so, he felt a little bit more comfort in what it was that he had just said to Gift.
Gift looked at the both of us, as if we were going crazy. I felt like I had to say one last thing to her, at the same time as well, just to make sure that she had made up her mind, and she was in fact going to follow me and Pike in to the wild, even if it was in fact quite a scary place to be, no matter how nice it looked.
Gift let out a bit of a loud sigh, as she dipped her head to the ground, and then she went back over to Nifty, and began to hold on to her for a bit more of some time. I too let out a bit of a sad sigh, as I shook my head, and then I began to speak back to Gift, just to make sure she was in on this.
"Hero was in love with our mother too, and not us... Its the same as Nut... We have no other choice... Unless you want to get taken in by the crazy two legs, and go live on our own, with other owners..." I said back to Gift. Gift looked at me for a bit of some time, as she blinked at the same time too. It almost looked like she thought that it might be a good idea, so I began to continue speaking to her, to change her mind. "That means that we split off from each other, and we never get to see each other again... It also means that they might put us down..."
Gift blinked a few times, as she then realized that what I had just said to her, had in fact been true, as I saw her shiver a bit, just at the thought of it, as she looked back at me and Pike, with a bit of a sad look on her face. It looked as if for once, she finally seemed to care for the both of us.
I was not sure how much longer that would last, as I was sure she would start acting differently, when we got to a safe place. For now though, I knew that she realized that we all needed each other by our sides, so that we could get through these very rough times.
Gift dipped her head a bit low to the ground at the same time too, as I saw that she was a bit hurt, but for a bit of a different reason how ever. I was a bit confused by it, as this time she did not have her head leaned towards our dead mother, who was still lying limp on the ground beside us.
I tilted my head, as I was a bit confused by all of it. I was not sure what was going on with her, as I was sure that it must be that it was just so much for her to take in all at once. After a little while longer how ever, Gift did in fact lift her head up to the both of us.
She still seemed a bit hurt, by a reason that was different than the fact that she was covered in the blood of our dead mother. I looked at her for a bit of some time, as she nodded to us, and I nodded back to her as well. She then began to speak to us, in a tone of voice that was clearly hurt, as I listened to what it was that she had to say.
"How come, they came to see you 2, but they did not come to see me?" She said to us. I looked at her for a bit of some time, as I was not sure if I could give her the answer to that question. I felt like they went to see me, because I cared for them the most, but at the same time, I also knew that they would be least likely to believe me.
Maybe that was why they had also sent Pike as well. I still was not sure why that would be the case though, as I was sure that Pike would be easier to get him to follow us, rather than Gift. I shook my head, as it did not matter at all at this point.
All that really mattered, was that it was clear that Gift had her full attention on what it was that Pike and me had said to her. Even if did did hurt her a little bit, that they had not come to see her at all. She and Pike were the only ones that cried when we had buried both of our grand parents.
I started to think a bit on what it was that Gift had said to me earlier, as she had called me a soul less cat. I was starting to wonder if that could perhaps be true, as it seemed like I did not have all that much emotion, on the fact that our mothers dead body, was laying beside us.
I shook off those thoughts though, as I heard Pike begin to speak up, back to what it was that Gift had said to us. I lifted my head up, and I looked over at Pike, at the exact same time too, as I then listened to what it was that he had to say back to her as well.
"It does not matter Gift... We just need to go do what it is that we saw in the dream..." He said to her. Gift looked at him for a bit of some time, as she was still a bit hurt by it, as I could tell, but she eventually got over it, as she then nodded to him, after a little while longer. Pike nodded back to her as well, as he then continued to talk. "Lets go get some food and water from the dog yard first..."
I looked at him for a little bit of some time, as I blinked a few times as well. The thought of eating the dry food from the back yard of the dog home, felt disgusting to me. At the same time as well, I also realized just how hungry I was, as it did not really seem to matter all that much to me now.
I also knew that if we did not get some water either, we could easily die from dehydration. I shook off those thoughts, as I then nodded to Pike at the same time too. Pike looked at me for a few moments, and then he nodded back to me as well.
He then turned his head over to Gift, as I blinked a few times, as I was a bit confused by it. I to then turned my head over to Gift, to see what her reaction was on what it was that he had said. I saw that she had her head down to the ground, as she was staring at the blood that she had on her paws.
I felt quite a bit bad for her, but at the same time too, I also knew that I did not need to worry about that. We could cry about the fact that we had lost our mother, when we got some food, and a safe place for us to stay the night at. I shook off those thoughts, as I saw that Gift now had her head held up high.
She stared at Pike, and eventually over to me as well, as I stared right back at her. She let out a bit of a loud sigh at the same time too, as she then nodded to us, as it seemed like she was now ready to join us in this little journey.
I smiled at her, which was a bit of a sad smile as well. I then looked over at Pike, as I saw him moving from the corner of my eye. I saw that he was about to walk down, out of the two leg den, in the little hole that was there. I nodded to Gift, as me and her began to follow him.