Chapter 12: Special

I shook my head, as I tried to shake off all of those thoughts at the same time too. I thought that maybe I should not, as when my mother had told me that, I had been the happiest little kit in the entire world. I knew why I did not want it in my head however.
It was not the fact, as to what she had said to me, it was the time, and the date that she had said it to me. I did not like to think back on the time that I had with her parents, but it seemed like I could not stop myself from doing so however.
I closed my eyes for a few moments, as I tried to not think about it, and just to clear my head at the same time as well. I listened to the noise of my brother, and my sister play fighting, like they would on a normal day when our mother came back from going outside.
It relaxed me quite a bit as well, as it now felt like things were going to end up being okay. I sighed a bit, as all of the sudden they then went dead silent. I opened my eyes right away, as I was worried that something might have happened to one of them.
I was always worried about that, as some times, or more likely, most of the time, their play fighting got a little out of hand, and it typically ended in actual fighting, rather than them just playing around. As I looked over at the both of them however, I noticed that they were both okay.
Well, besides the fact that it seemed as though they had their eyes locked on something for some odd reason or another. I squinted my eyes at them, as they had gone dead silent, and they were standing dead still, which was just the opposite of what Nut had asked of us.
I then saw what it was that they had their eyes on however, as I saw that the cat door flapped open a bit. I looked over to see that it was just our mother, and I seemed to relax myself a bit, as I was worried that something else might have been going on.
I then remembered as to why the fact it was that we were all a bit worried and scared, as I thought back on what had happened not too long ago now. I blinked a few times, as it almost felt as if I could still smell the nice grass in the air as well.
I shook my head though, as I looked at our mother as it seemed as if my brother and my sister were doing the same as well. I knew that it would look a bit suspicious too, and it felt like we were making a big mistake by just staring at her.
We were not normally like that when she got back home, though one of us would sometimes run over to her, to tell her the news, and the games that we had been playing. That was not the case this time however, as we were all just stuck in our spots.
Luckily however, it did not seem that our mother seemed to notice, or care at all, as it seemed like she had her eyes on something all together completely different at the moment, as to my surprise as well, she had a big smile on her face too.
The reason that it surprised me so much in the first place, was because it was a fair bit rare for you to catch a smile on the face of hers. It confused me a bit, as I looked over at my brother and my sister, as I was waiting for answers from the both of them.
They did not seem to notice at all however, as it seemed as though they were more worried about the fact of us getting caught, which I had almost forgotten about at this point. I blinked a few times, as I then did what it was that Gift and Pike were doing.
We all just stared at my mother, as she kept the big smile on her face, as she stopped beside her friend Nut, and she stood still for a few moments. Nut seemed to not notice, nor did he care at all, as it seemed like he was a lot better at hiding things, than the rest of us were at least.
Nut just kept on licking his fur, for just a bit longer, until he felt that it was safe to now let Nifty know that he knew that she was there with him. He lifted his head up at her, and then he tilted his head, as if he was a bit confused at the same time as well.
She kept the same big smile on her face, as she then nodded to him, to let him know that she was about to talk to him. He looked at her for a few moments, with his eyes squinted at her, and then he nodded back to her. After a bit more time had passed, Nifty then began to speak to her friend.
"Its official Nut... We have made the decision... I hope you are excited for me! Do not worry, I will take the kits to come and see you from time to time, I know they are fond of you..." She said to him. I sat there for a few moments, as I looked over to my brother and sister once again, as I was a bit confused as to what she had just said to Nut.
My brother and my sister looked just as confused as I did however. I shook my head, as I knew that I should not even bother to try to get any sort of answers from either of them. I then turned my head back over to my mother, and at Nut as well.
I saw that Nut had his head to the ground, as I could tell that he had quite the sad look on his face. I wondered as to what was going on with him at the moment. He had acted a bit strange, the whole day, ever since before he had taken us out in the yard.
I then continued to think about what our mother had said, more and more by each passing moment. I was not sure as to what it was that she was talking about, and why she had said that she would take us to come and see him from time to time.
It then hit me at the same time too, as I began to think about it, just a little bit more. It was starting to make a bit more sense as to what it was that she had just said. I remembered that we were born here, but we technically did not own the place.
The twolegs and Nut had been nice enough to let us stay. I was starting to realize that she was talking about us leaving, and finding our own place to live at. I did not understand that however, as Nut had said that we were welcome to stay here as long as we liked, and we were welcome to live here.
Why would she want us to go live some where else? I was sure that it was what she was suggesting to Nut, and it also made a lot of sense why he had such a sad look on his face too, as I knew that he was close with both my brother and my sister.
Our mother also knew that it was a safe place to live too, and she had told us that a twoleg place was the most safe home for kits like us. Maybe she was trying to say that we were now out of that phase, and she was thinking that we were no longer kits.
If that was the case, than I wanted to go and see what the wild was like. At the same time though too, it also kind of scared me to even think about doing that. I needed the help of a cat that knew how to live out in the wild, if I was no ever find out what it was like out there.
I shook my head, as I tried not to think about that just yet, as my thoughts went back on what it was that she might be talking about in the first place. She was going to take us to a new home, I was sure that I had understood that part already.
I then looked over at Nut, as I saw that he had finally lifted his head up to my mother, as I saw that he was a bit sad, and a bit hurt as well. I felt a bit bad for him, as I had never realized that he was really that close to all of us.
I then realized what it was at the same time too. I had always noticed that he had always really liked our mother, and I was sure that he had told her that as well. She had always told us, that they were just really close friends however, and I always noticed the sad look on his face when she said that.
Nut was in love with our mother, and I knew that he always had been. It was a lot to do with him letting her give birth at his place. I always knew that he was in love with her. I felt a bit bad for him as I came to think about it, as it all seemed to click in to my head the more I thought on it.
Nut looked at our mother for a few moments, as it looked as though he might be about to cry, as he then nodded to her at the same time too. I could tell that Nifty felt a bit bad for her old friend, as she moved up close to him, and lifted his head up with hers.
It made Nut feel a little bit better, but I could still tell that he was quite a bit hurt by it still. He managed to crack a bit of a fake smile to her, as they both nodded to one another once again. After a little bit more of time had passed, Nut then began to speak to my mother.
"We all have different paths in life. You are always welcome here if you need a safe place. I love the kits to death, but it is time for them to take the next steps in their journey... I wish you luck with that Nifty..." He said back to her. She looked at him for a few moments, as I then saw a bit of a sad smile on her own face.
I looked at both my brother and my sister once again, as I saw that they were now starting to understand all of what was going on at the moment. This time, the scared looks that were on their faces, was for a completely different reason all together.
Both my brother and my sister jumped down from the couch that they had been sitting on for quite a while now, as they quickly began to run over to Nut, with quite the sad looks on their face. I hopped down a bit as well, as I slowly began to walk over to him as well.
I was never as close to him as my brother and my sister were, but there was no denying that he was a good cat. Nut turned his head over to us, as he heard our footsteps, and he then again looked at us, with a bit of a sad little smile on the face of his.
My sister was the first one that got over to Nut, as she looked to be the most hurt out of all of us, after hearing the news that we were going to be leaving the place. She went up to Nut, as she blinked at him just a couple of times.
They stared at one another for a little bit of time, and then the got a bit closer to each other, and then the rubbed up against one another, as a bit of a friendly gesture of love. Nut then looked at her for a bit of some time, and then he began to speak to her.
"You stay safe Gift... I hope that you come to see me from time to time, when you move on with your own life in the future... Make sure to be nicer to your brother and sister." He said to her. Gift looked at him with quite a sad look in her eyes.
I felt a bit bad for my sister, as it was quite rare for me to say that as well too. I still loved her, no matter how mean she was to me, she was still my sister, and I did not want to see her sad like she was right now. I looked in her eyes, as I saw a couple of tears drop.
She looked at Nut, as I saw her smile at him, just like my mother and Nut did to each other not too long ago, as it was a bit more of a sad smile. Gift sat there with her head down low to the ground for a bit of some time, until she finally decided to lift her head back up to Nut, and then begin to speak back to him.
"Thank you Nut... I love you... And I will miss you..." She said back to him. Nut looked at her for a little while longer, as I saw a couple of more tears drop from the face of Gift. Nut moved a bit closer to her, as he lifted one of his front paws up at her face.
For a second I thought that he might be about to scratch her. But then I saw that he had just put his paw up, to wipe away the tears. I was not sure why I had even thought that it might even be the case in the first place, as I then shook my head.
They stared at one another for a bit more time, as I blinked a couple of times. Nut then nodded to her, as Gift moved back just a little to make room for our brother Pike. Pike looked around a bit confused for a few moments as to why we were all looking at him.
He then began to understand what was going on as he then nodded, and then he began to walk over to Nut, realizing that it was now his time. Just as Nut and Gift had just done a few moments ago, the both of them rubbed fur with one another.
Pike blinked a few times, as I could tell that he was hurt, and he was sad, perhaps even more than Gift was, though he was doing a lot better of a job than she had, at hiding it up, and trying not to show it on his face at all.
Nut smiled at him for a few moments, as he then nodded to my brother. My brother sat there for a bit longer, as I could tell that he was a bit trapped in his head. He eventually nodded back to Nut however, and then Nut began to speak to my brother.
"Pike... You are a big, strong, and brave cat... I trust that you will take care of your brother and sister as well... You be safe, and you teach the both of them the most that you can." He said to him. Pike stood there for a bit of time, as I saw that he had his head to the ground.
I knew that he was doing his best to hide all of his emotions, and I knew my brother so well too. I knew that if he lifted his head up, he feared that he too would cry like my sister had, when he saw the sad smile that was on the face of Nut.
My brother sat there for a bit longer, as I heard him sigh a bit to himself. To my surprise though, he lifted his head up, with the most strong look in his eyes, that I had ever seen. He smiled at Nut, as he then nodded back to Nut at the same time as well.
Nut looked dead in to his eyes, as I could tell that he was a bit surprised as to how Pike was handling it, and how strong he was at the moment. Nut then smiled back at him. Pike stared at him for a bit longer, and then he finally decided to speak back to him.
"Thank you Nut... I will do my best to do so... I will miss you..." He said back to him. He kept a bit of a smile, though I could see a lot of pain deep in his eyes, and on his face. Nut looked at him for a bit more time, as he smiled at him for a bit longer.
He then nodded to Pike, as Pike got the jest, the same as my sister had. Pike then moved back just a little, as he sat beside my sister. I watched as they rubbed furs with each other a bit sadly, as it seemed as though they were finally setting aside their differences.
I turned my head over to Nut, as I saw that he had nodded to me, from the corner of my eye. I saw that he had even more of a sad smile on his face, than he had on my brother and my sister, which surprised me even more.
I thought that maybe it had just been the view that I had seen from the side, as I had always thought that much like my brother and sister, he was closer to them as well. I put all of that aside however, as we rubbed up against one another.
We moved back a little, as we locked eyes with one another. I saw a bit of a strange gaze in his eyes, almost as if I had seen a shooting star flash by through his eye. I did not have much time to think about it however, as he began to speak to me, and I nodded as I listened to what it was that he had to say to me.
"You Limp... I see a bright future ahead for you... You have something special..."