Chapter 3: Follow Me!

Me, my brother, and my sister all looked at each other for a few moments. We all were surprised at what we had just heard. I looked at Nut, as I was not sure what to say back to him. A part of me wanted to tell him yes, but at the same time, I was quite scared.
Our mother had told us all kinds of scary stories of what it was like outside of our home. A part of me really wanted to see what it was like, but it seemed as though there was another part of me that was telling me not to even try it.
I always liked to look out the window, and see the birds flying in the little garden that we had at our place. The female two leg liked to take care of it, but around this time of the year, there was just not all that much to even try to take care of.
When I was a lot younger though, I had thought that it was the most beautiful thing in the world, to see all of the flowers, and to see the leaves changing colors. Ever since my mother had told me that it was the leaf bare, everything was so ugly out there.
She said that I should not worry about it though, as she had told me that it did that every year, it would grow all back together. I was a bit scared though, as it had been quite a long time, but things seemed to stay the same as they always were.
I stared at Nut for just a bit longer, as I heard a gast of wind outside at the same time as well. It was a bit scary to hear that loud noise, but at the same time as well though, it felt like some thing was enticing me to at least try to see what it was like.
I stared at the cat door that we had seen Nut go through, and I thought of all of the times that other mother had told us to never go out there, unless we needed to make dirt. We often used the litter box for that anyways. It was a bit cold as well, the wind that was coming through, and making the door flap over and over again.
It made me feel quite a bit chilly, as I now did not want to go out there, even more than I did before. I looked away, as I blinked at the wall just a few times, to try to drown out all of the thoughts that were going on through my head, all at once.
I then turned my head over to the window that I often liked to look through on most days, as it gave me the best view of what the world was like out there. I stared at it for just a few moments, as it almost seemed like my grand parents were whispering into my ears, that I needed to go try.
I then turned my head to the ground, as I turned it back over to Nut at the same time as well. I saw that Nut seemed to have a bit of a disappointed look on his face as well. I was a bit confused as to why he wanted to so badly show us the scary world that was out there.
We were still young kits, and even if we were a bit older, could you really blame us for still not wanting to even try to go out there? I shook my head at the same time as well, as finally, after the long time of silence, my sister decided that she was going to be the one that was going to speak. I listened to what it was that she had to say as well.
"But, our mother told us not to go out there! She said that we would get caught by a hawk, and then get turned into crow food!" Gift said back to Nut. Nut looked at her, a bit surprised for a few moments, until he then slowly began to laugh at what she had just said back to him.
My sister did not look to happy with it either, as she never liked to be laughed at. She squinted her eyes at Nut, and then she looked away from him at the same time as well. I knew that she was not going to say anything back to that, as she liked Nut a whole lot.
I watched as she had her head down low to the ground, as I then shook my head, and then I looked over to my brother at the same time as well. I could see a bit of an excited look on his face, but at the same time as well, I could tell that he was a bit scared, just as I was.
I knew that my sister was afraid as well, after all of the stories that our mother had told us, even though she would not admit to it, because she always tried to act like she was the strongest of our litter. I then looked back over at Nut, at the same time too, as I heard him then speak back to my sister.
"Relax! Hawks are only out in the wild, they never like to come anywhere near a twoleg place! Besides you guys are a bit older than just baby kits now! I think its time for you to at least see what it is like." He said back to the rest of us.
I looked at both my brother and sister, as I still was not too sure about all of that. I knew that my mother had over exaggerated on a lot of the stuff that she had told us, but a lot of it had to be true as well, and I was sure that she was just trying to protect us, and make sure that we were safe.
I then turned my head back over to the window that was on the other side of the room from me. I stared at it for just a few moments, as I looked up at the sky, and stared at the sun for a fair amount of time. It kind of hurt my eyes, but that was not what I had my thoughts on.
A part of me, was telling me not to try it, and that it really was not all that worth finding out what it really was like out there, but another part of me was telling me that I had to see at least what it was like, and if what my mother had told me was at least somewhat true.
I had been told stories of what it was like out there, from our grand parents as well, and how beautiful it was. My brother and sister were always so focused on the fact that they wanted to be a leader of clans that did not exist, that they did not even have time to think about how beautiful we had been told that it was.
I then turned my head back over to Nut as I was a bit more excited than I had been just a few moments ago. I was about to speak to him at the same time as well, but as per usual, my sister stepped in front of me, and she spoke before I had the chance to.
"What about the dogs? They can come in and attack us too! They live all around us as well, we hear them barking at us all of the time!" She said back to Nut. Nut looked at her for just a few moments, as he rolled his eyes at her at the same time as well.
I closed my eyes, as I also had been told of the stories of what dogs often did to cats, and how they liked to tear them up, and eat them piece by piece. I shivered, as I felt like I was going to throw up as well. I shook my head as I tried to erase those thoughts.
I then opened my eyes, as I looked over at Nut at the same time as well. I saw him shake his head at Gift, as it seemed like he thought that she was being very dumb. He then looked away from her, and nodded to all of us, as he kept on talking, seeing that all of us were quite a bit freaked out.
"The dogs are all inside their places, or they are locked up behind a fence. You should only be worried if you jump into their yard..." He said to all of us. He then looked at us, as he could tell that we still were not all too sure if it was a good idea. He then rolled his eyes, as he kept on speaking. "Look... Your mother goes out there all the time right? She always makes it back... She just does not want you to go out on your own... You guys have me to protect you."
As soon as he had said that to all of us, I saw the excited look come back to the faces of my brother and sister. I knew how highly they thought of Nut, and as soon as he had said that last part to them, that was clearly all that they had needed to hear.
Me however, I still was not all too sure about this being a good idea. We were too young to even find out if any of what she had said had been true. We could always wait for some other time, surely right? I then shook my head at the same time, as I wondered as to what I had been thinking.
If I always pushed it off, like my brain was trying to do right now, than I never really would get the chance to see what it was like out there. I lifted my head up, as just as I was about to speak back to Nut, my brother stepped up and spoke over me this time.
"Wuh- wuh- where are we going? Are you going to take us out in the wild?" He asked Nut. Nut looked at him, a bit surprised for a few moments, as he then began to laugh at what it was that Pike had just said to him. We all looked at him for a few moments, a bit confused as to what it was that he found so funny.
After the few moments of him laughing manically, he then shook his head back at my brother. He then turned his head over to the flap door that was behind him, as he stared at it for just some time. It seemed as though he was taking some time to think about what it was that my brother had just asked.
He sat there for just a few moments, as now, me, Gift, and Pike were beginning to walk a bit closer to him, as we all were scared, but at the same time, a bit excited to see what it was like, the world that was behind the twoleg place that we lived at now.
He then turned his head back to all of us, and he then shook his head to us. I let out a bit of a sigh of relief to myself as well. I did not want to go and see what it was like in the wild just yet. Nut then began to speak to us, as I made sure to pay full attention to what it was that he had to say.
"No! I just want to get you to see a bit of what it is like! We are just going to get on top of the fence, and look out there, maybe another day! Are you crazy! I hardly ever go out there!" He said, with a bit of a laugh in his voice, but I saw a bit of a scared look on his face at the same time as well.
I wondered as to what it was that he could possibly be thinking about in the exact moment. I watched him stare through the window, that I had been looking through a bit earlier, as I saw him shiver just a bit as well. I wondered what it was that it could be, that could have him acting that way, but I shook my head, as I saw the excited looks on my kins faces.
I could tell that they were excited, and unlike me, they could not see the strange look that was on the face of Nut. I watched as my brother and my sister began to roll around each other, not in a fight as it usually seemed to be thankfully however.
I could just tell that they were quite a bit excited to see what it was like, at least some what in the wild. It got me off of the thoughts of Nut though, as I joined in to their little game. After a few moments of just rolling around, I then saw Pike poke his head up, and stop playing around.
Both me and my sister saw him do it as well, as we both stopped as to what it was that we had been doing, as we looked at both Nut, and Pike, as we saw that Pike was staring at Nut. I looked over at Nut for just a few moments as well, as I saw that he had his head down low to the ground for some odd reason or another.
I looked at him, a bit confused as to what it was that he could be thinking of, as I then shook my head at the same time as well, as I heard the excited voice of my brother, as he began to step up, and speak to Nut. Nut lifted his head up, to hear what it was that he had to say to him as well.
"We are all ready! Can you go ahead and show us, before our mother gets hear! She for sure will not let us go out!" He said back to Nut. I nodded to my brother, as I looked back over to Nut at the same time as well. He still seemed to have the same look on his face, that he had just had a few moments ago as well.
I was a bit confused as to what it was that was going on with him. At the same time as well, it looked like he might cancel off the plans of all of that, as I saw a bit of a scared look on his face at the same time too. I wondered if what it was that my brother and sister had said, might have gotten to his head.
My brother and my sister did not seem to notice the look on his face, as they were just blinking their eyes, a bit confused, and waiting for a response. I lowered my head to the ground, as I did not expect a response from him now.
Maybe I was a bit dumb for that, as I knew that Nut was always quick to have a response to a question that we would ask him. I lifted my head up at the same instance, as I heard Nut begin to speak back, I nodded to him, to hear what it was that he had to say to us as well.
"Yes... Of course! Follow me!"