Chapter 25: Our Food

I blinked, as I let out quite the loud sigh, as it was a bit hard for me to get up, and out of this very uncomfortable nest that I had slept in with Gift just the last couple of nights. I lifted my self up in just the slightest, as I then began to stretch just a little as well.
I closed my eyes for just a few moments too, as I did my best to get my eyes used to the bright sun light that was flashing right in to my eyes. It did not take long for that how ever, as I then opened my eyes, and then I began to look around at the same time too, so that I was able to see my surroundings.
I looked down at the ground, as I saw that Gift was laid down beside me, as I rubbed up against her, as it made me feel a little bit better that she was still here with me at least. We had just lost our mother, the other day, and that had hurt the both of us quite a bit, as it had been clear that we had not known how much we really loved Nifty, our mother.
I shook off those thoughts, as I wished that I could have some remorse, and pain for all of it, but at the same time as well, I knew that what had killed our mother, was the exact same thing that was killing my sister. I needed to be focused on her, as I could not bare to lose another member of my kin.
It was the reason that I had sent Pike out to go and look for the herb that was going to help her, and at least try to get her better, and save her life. I had woke up to the 3rd day now, or him being gone, and it scared me every moment that I did not wake up, and see him beside the both of us.
I had woken up yesterday, as I had hoped that he would have shown up. He had stayed the first night with us, and he had left us early in the morning, in a bit of some rush, as he could tell that Gift had gotten a lot worse than she had been just the day before.
I knew that he was worried for her, but at the same time too, I knew that he had felt a bit different, as I had remembered him being. I also knew as well, that he did not want to go out in to the wild either. It kind of saddened me, as I was still worried that the dream that I had, was not real at all.
I closed my eyes, as I held on to Gift for a bit longer. The truth was, I was worried that Pike had left us to die out here, as he might have perhaps at first gone looking for the herb, as he did love us, and I was fairly certain that he did not want Gift to die, no matter how often they got in to fights.
At the same time too, I kind of felt like he might have given up for a way, and he might have lost his way back, and just given up. I also had a bad fear of what else might have happened to him, as even if he was a strong kit, he was still a kit, and he could have got in to the wrong garden, and got eaten up by a dog.
Even a fully strong grown cat could not fight off a very big dog. I shivered a bit, as I tried to shake off the thoughts that it could not be true. I was not sure what was worse though, the fact that he might have gotten torn apart, and he might be up in Starclan with Nifty, or if he had left us to die out here, and just given up.
I hated to think those types of thoughts as well, as I just wanted to sit in this spot, and cry my self back in to a bit of sone deep sleep. I shook my head at the same time too, as I also knew that I had to help Gift, as best as I could, and at least hope that if Pike was not going to come, and she might be able to make it through with out an herb.
Those were slim hopes though, as I knew that, just like Nifty, she had gotten worse and worse over the past couple of days, as to she had got to the point last night, where she had been no longer able to lift her self up. It meant the I needed to go and get her some fresh wet moss.
I was not sure if going to go look for food was such a good idea, as I did not know how to hunt at all for one, even if the idea seemed to be a bit intriguing to me. I also did not want to go in to the two leg place, as I was worried that I might get lost such as Pike might have done.
I also knew as well, that I could not leave Gift alone at a time like this. I knew it was a bad idea for me to be holding on to her like this, as there was a fair chance that I too might get sick like her. It did not matter at all to me how ever, as I knew that I had to hold on to her, as I could not let her go.
I was scared that if I went any further away from her, that she might pass away right in front of me. I at least needed to ger her some moss from the tree that was near us, as I knew that I was thirsty, and she was going to wake up soon, and she too was going to be thirsty as well.
I began to rush over to the tree, as I saw that there was still a bit of some wet moss, though it felt like it had not rained in over a moon at this point. To be fair, we had not been at Nuts place for almost a moon at this point too. I was fairly certain that it had not rained any of those days we had been out.
I was just glad that the moss was wet enough for us, even if we did not have food, it could be worse for us. As I drew close to the moss, I began to drink in to it a little bit, so that it quenched my thirst. I then began to tear off a piece at the same time too, as I began to head back over to Gift with it.
I had my head a bit low to the ground, as I was scared for what the future had in store for us. I was not too sure if us going out in to the woods was a good idea or not at all. We had no resource of food now, which we at least had that when we had been at the abandoned two leg place with Nifty.
Now we had lost Pike, as well as Nifty and Nut. I knew that I needed to be close to Gift, even if we had never really been all that close at all. She was still my sister, and I still loved her. I was scared for her, and I knew that I had to savor this time that me and her had with each other.
As sad as it was to say, I also knew that I had to come to terms with reality, as I was not sure how much longer she had left in her. I shook off those thoughts though, as I knew that I should not be thinking like that at all. I lifted my head up, as I looked over to Gift, at the same time as well.
I blinked a few times, as I was a bit confused as to where she was at. At first I had thought that I had gone too far, and had lost my way when I had been thinking to my self, but I knew that it was not the case, as I saw the small nest that we had slept in the night before, just ahead of me.
I tilted my head for a few moments, as I saw that Gift had rolled her self over just a little bit. She was now awake, as I saw that she was looking around, as it was clear that she was afraid, and she was worried as to where it was that I had gone off too.
I whistled a little bit, to get her eyes on me. She turned her head over to me, as I saw her nod at the same time too, as she stared right over to me. I saw that she had a bit of a dead look in her eyes, as I could tell that she felt weaker than she had ever felt before.
I began to hurry my self over to her, as I let out a loud sigh at the same time too, as I then dropped the wet moss to Gift at the same time as well, as she thankfully began to drink in to it too. I let out a bit of a soft sigh, as I was glad that she still felt alright, as to the fact that she could drink.
The problem was, I knew that her not being able to eat, was only going to make her worse, as she had nothing for her body to heal with. I was tempted to go in to the two let place and look, but I also did not want to leave her alone at a crucial time, such as the one that I was stuck in right now.
I shook off all of those thoughts how ever, as I saw Gift then nod to me at the same time too. I looked at her for a few moments, as I realized that it was clear that she was telling me that she was about to speak to me. I nodded back to her, as I then listened to what it was that she had to say to me.
"Is Pike okay? Is he still looking for that herb? It's been 2 days now..." She asked me, as I blinked a few times, at the same time as well. I dipped my head a bit low to the ground, as I was not so sure what it was that I was going to say to her, at the exact same time too.
I did not want to lie to her, as I knew that she would see right through it, and it would only make her feel just a little bit worse. I let out quite the loud sigh, as I just stared at the ground for quite a bit of some time, as I was a bit scared to look up, and speak back to her, after what she had just said.
To be honest, I had not a clue what was going on with Pike, as a part of me felt like some thing bad might have happened to him, but at the same time as well, I felt like he might have left us, and gone to some place else that he felt more safe at, and a place that he wanted to live at.
I thought of what it was that I was going to say to Gift, right away, as I then lifted my head back up to her. I did not want to think negative, and say that he might be dead, as I felt like it would be a better idea for me to tell her the truth, that way she knew for sure that I was not lying by any of it.
I stared at Gift for a few moments, as I saw that she had a bit of a look of fear in her eyes, which was not normal for her. I felt like I should not blame her for it either, as I could tell that she knew that she was dying, and we were in a bit of a scary place, that we had never been before.
We were used to two leg places, even if it was an abandoned one. Being so far out in to the open at night, was in fact a bit scary. I shook off those thoughts though, as I then nodded to her, as she too nodded back to me, as I then began to speak to her at the same time as well.
"No... I do not think that Pike is going to be back... He might have found his own home while he was looking for all we know." I said to her, as I tilted my head just a little bit at the same time as well, as I was a bit confused on what it was that I had just said to her at the same tine too.
It felt like I had heard those words before, not just it a bit of a different manner, but I felt like I had remembered hearing them being said word for word. I looked around as to where I was at, as it felt like some one was looking at me, at the exact same time too.
It felt like the area that we were in at the same time as well, was a place that I had been before, though I was not too sure as to what it could be. I thought I saw a flicker of light, as I turned my head as to where I might have seen in come from, from the corner of my eye.
I stared at it for a few moments, as I was a bit afraid, as I was not so sure as to what was going on with me at the current moment in time. I shook my head just a little bit, as I did my best to not get too worried about it, as there were far worse things that I needed to be worried about right now.
One of those things, was the fact that my sister was dying right in front of my eyes, and there was not a thing that I could possibly do to stop it. That is what hurt me the worst, as I felt like I was a bit of a failure. I was destined to watch all of the cats that I loved, die right in front of my eyes.
I shook my head, as I knew those were dark thoughts, as I looked over at Gift, as I saw a bit of a smile on her face, as well, though it was a bit of a sad smile. I tilted my head, just in the slightest, as I was a bit confused on what was going on with her. I shook off those thoughts how ever, as I listened to what it was that she had to say to me, as she finally spoke back to me.
"I hope that he is safe then... Do you think the cats are ever going to find us? I feel worse every day..." She said back to me, as she let out quite the loud cough, as a little bit of blood splattered in the roots by the tree, at the exact same time too.
I felt a bit sick, just not exact in the way that she did. She had tried to stay strong through all of this, as far as I had seen so far, but noe it seemed like she was giving up, and that was the part that scared me. I knew what it meant for a sick cat, when they got to the point that they were ready to give up.
Their body worked with their brain, as if they wanted to give up, and than their body would just let them pass along. I did not want that to happen how ever, as I went a bit close to my sister, and then I began to hold on to her, at the exact same time too.
For the first time that she had ever done when I had been this close to her, she closed her eyes, and began to purr, as she seemed to almost feel a bit safe with me by her side. I was not so sure if she should be, as I was not exactly the cat that you wanted to look up to, for any sort of protection.
I shook off those thoughts, as I knew that it did not matter. I loved my sister, and that was all that mattered. I purred back to her, as I kept my eyes closed at the same time too, as I began to purr back to her. Though I knew that Gift had fallen fast to sleep, I spoke back to her any ways.
"I hope so too... I hope so too Gift..." I said to her. As I felt like I was about to drown my self in sorrow and grief. I was not sure what to do, as it felt like it had all gone bad over the last moon. If we had just stayed at Nuts place, than we all would be fine right now, and we would not have to worry about any of us getting sick.
It did not matter to me any more though, as I let out a bit of a quiet sigh, at the exact same time as well. I shook off all of those thoughts, as suddenly, at the same time too, some thing felt a little bit different around me, as I was not so sure as to what it was that it could be.
I then realized what it was, right away, as I began to think on it. Gift had stopped breathing, as I turned my eyes over to her, to see what it was that I could be thinking at the current moment in time, could in fact be true, as I put my eyes right on the chest of my sister.
I got a bit closer to her, at the same time too, just to make sure that she was in fact not breathing. It was true, as I wanted to just fall on to the ground, and just die. It was all gone now... I had lost all that I had cared about. I wanted to cry, but for some reason, a tear did not want to drop from my eye.
I closed my eyes, as I then let all of my dark thoughts start to drown me out. I had been the weakest of my litter, and I was going to have to be the one that had to watch my entire kin die in front of my eyes, when I should have been the kit that had died when it had first been born.
Some would call me lucky, but I did not see any sort of luck in this. A single tear managed to drop from my eye, but that was the only emotion I could show my self at the current moment. I let out a loud sigh, as I felt like I just wanted to sit in this spot, and die from hunger or thirst right now.
Which ever one wanted to take me first at least. Maybe I should go back to the dog home, and let it tear me apart. Then maybe I could go meet up with my dead kin. I knew those were bad thoughts to be thinking at the moment, but there was nothing to stop me now, from letting them swarm through me, and drown out my thoughts.
That was, until I heard a voice. It was a familiar voice at that, none the less, as I lifted my head up, and began to look around, as I was a bit confused. I blinked a few times, as I then saw 2 cats standing right in front of me, staring right back at me.
At first, I was not sure if they were there or not, but it did not take me long to realize that this was real, and that it was not just some sort of hallucination, though I did tilt my head a little bit, just to make sure it was real. She cat that was in front of me, nodded to me, and then she began to speak to me at the same time as well, after just a few more moments.
"Follow us Limp... We will show you the way home..." She said to me. I blinked a few times, as I was a bit confused as to what it was that she had meant by what she had just said. I knew who the fact was, as I recognized the fur, and the voice to be none other than Brokenfoot, my grand mother.
I was not sure what she had meant by it, as I turned my head over to where the two leg den was, further through the woods, as I was fairly certain that she had meant that I was going to go back to Nut. I blinked a few times, as I waited for her to walk in front of me, and show me the way back there.
That was when, all of the sudden, I felt another, much smaller cat rub up against me. I turned my head over to the cat, as I was a bit confused as to who it could be. The stars were shining so bright from the cat, that it was too hard for me to focus my eyes on the cat right now.
After a few more seconds, I then realized that the cat, was in fact my sister Gift. I began to get a bit excited, as she looked to be fine now. I drew close to her, as I let out a purr. Gift shook her head at me how ever, for some odd reason or another. I tilted my head, as I was a bit lost on what it was that was going on right now.
Gift then turned her head away from me, as I saw her begin to follow Brokenfoot, who I saw was a fair bit ahead of the both of us. I knew that I was not a fast cat, so I ran as fast as I could, so that I could catch up to them. They seemed to head a bit faster and faster how ever, just as I had done so.
I breathed in heavily a bit, as I was not used to it. I saw them begin to draw further and further away from me how ever, as I realized that I could not let them get too far ahead, as I began to run once again. I knew that this was about to be a very rough stretch.

I stopped my self, as it felt like I had been running all day, which I was sure that I had been, as I saw the sun dipping down the ground, just in the distance ahead of me. I stood there for a few moments, completely still, as I let my body have a bit of some time to breath as well.
That was not the real reason that I had stopped how ever, as it felt like, as I had got further and further in to the day, I saw that Brokenfoot and Gift were getting further ahead of me. At this point now as well, I no longer saw them any where near me, which began to get me quite a bit scared.
I had gone all this way, all day, and I knew for sure that I did not know the way back either, as I knew that it was too late for all that. I dipped my head a bit low to the ground, as I felt like I was an idiot. All of this was stupid, as I knew that all of it was a bad idea.
I was having hallucinations that dead kin were trying to take me some where. Now I was even more lost than before, as I knew that there was no way back now. I felt hope less, as I felt like now it was time for me to just give up, as it felt like there was no longer a point to any of this.
I sniffed the air, in the hopes that I might be able to track the smell of Gift or Brokenfoot not too far away from me, so that I could follow them so more. I felt like I could not follow them any longer how ever, as I felt far too tired, and I felt like I just wanted to fall asleep.
I knew that I was in a terrible place for me to fall asleep, but it did not matter all that much to me any more, as I was exhausted, and I closed my eyes. That was when I smelt a smell, that I had only smelt a few times before, when Nut or Nifty brought it back for us to eat.
It was the smell of a fresh squirrel, which confused me a bit, as I could tell that the squirrel was dead as well. It did not matter to me how ever, as I could feel my stomach grumbling, as I suddenly opened my eyes, to see where it was the the scent of the squirrel was coming from in the first place.
I blinked a few times, as I was a bit confused on where it was, until I saw a hole in the ground, not too far ahead of me. It was clear that some one had left it there, and was looking to go back over to it later. It was a cat that had caught it as well, as I scented the whiff of a cat not too far away.
I was so hungry how ever, as I had not eaten in several days, that it did not matter to me, if it was some one elses pray, even though I knew that I had been told that it was disrespectful to steal the pray of another cat. I shook those thoughts off how ever, as I knew that if they had left the food there, than it was clear that the cat did not need it more than me.
I ran over to the hole, and then I pulled out the fruity, and juicy squirrel out of it. I quickly began to hide at the same time as well, as I also did not want to get caught, as I had been told stories of what rogues did to cats that they met out in the wild.
I did not want to take that risk, as I knew that I could not fight them off, as I was simply just a kit. I run a fair distance away, as I could not help but stop, and begin to tear in to the yummy squirrel, as not only was it the best thing that I felt like I had tasted in my life, but it felt so good to be able to refill my belly.
I kept on biting in to the squirrel at the same time too, as I had a big smile on my face, as thing seemed to be feeling a bit better for me now. Now that I had some food, and some good food at that as well. I took another bit in to it, but then I stopped my self at the same time as well, as I realized that I heard voices of some cats speaking around me.
I stopped my self, as I did not dare take another bite in to the squirrel, as if I was almost worried that the chewing noise that I made when I ate it, would draw their attention over to me. I stood still for a bit of some time, in a bit of panic, as I was not sure what to do.
I was tempted to drop the squirrel there, and then just run off, but I realized at the same time too, that it was far too late for any of that, as I heard the quick foot steps of a cat flying right over to me, as I turned my head over to where I heard the noise come from.
It was a very big cat, and it was running right at me, with an angry look in its eyes, at if it were looking at me, for me to be its next prey. I was about to try to run, but at the same time I knew that it would not do any use, as I thought that maybe I should try to speak some sense in to the cat at the same time too.
It was too late for that how ever, as all of the sudden the world around me began to spin, as I was slammed to the ground like a dog toy. I closed my eyes at the same time too, as I felt like this was the end for me now. I did not care though, as I was ready for it, as I was ready to be torn apart, or scratched at any moment now.
The cat held on to me for a bit of some time, as I then heard foot steps of another cat join him. All of the sudden I felt the stress pull off of me, as I blinked a few times, as I was a bit confused on what was going on at the current moment, as I opened my eyes to see what it was.
I saw that there were 2 cats staring each other down, as if they were about to get in to a brawl. I was a bit lost on what it was that was so important to then about a single squirrel when they both looked to be in fine condition. Suddenly, the cat that had taken me down, hissed at the other cat, as he began to speak to him at the same time as well.
"What are you doing? You're just going to let this cat take our food?"