ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 28

Published 1/25/21

Annalise/Ann's POV

Days had passed since Luca and I had confessed our love for each other. We thought it is best not to tell anyone for the time being. Although that is hard to do when your friends can read you like an open book. I am somewhat convinced that I managed to sway Agnola and Agnesia to stop asking questions and that nothing is the matter with me. My nerves are a wreck thinking that someone might suspect something or I might say something wrong. I especially have to be careful around Ayla. She hated me the moment she saw me.

I was in the kitchen, preparing some tea. The kitchen was not busy at the moment. All the servants were doing their duties around the castle and Agnola is in the conservatory, getting some herbs. I enjoyed the moment of peace until some servants belonging to the princess entered the kitchen. They walked in whispering amongst themselves.

They noticed me and stood at the opposite side of the table in the middle of the kitchen.

"You know, Her Highness cannot wait to become the queen of the castle. She cannot wait to have the king all to herself. She is elated. She will have no one to take his attention." One of the servants said.

I took a sip of my tea. I tried not to smile. I kept my face completely impassive.

"As any girl who is waiting for a proposal." I jest, but I kept my voice natural, not giving them any implication that I was simply jesting with them.

One walked around the table over to me. I turned my body, facing her. "Once she is married to the king, she will remove you from the castle. You will not be wanted here." The other jeered. She cocked her head to the side with her mouth upturned. With that, they both walked out of the kitchen.

I softly chuckled to myself and shook my head. I drank what was left of my tea. I started to walk, but I suddenly started to feel lightheaded. My hands and legs began to shake uncontrollably. My throat felt tight and I couldn't gasp for air. I felt tears prick my eyes as I struggled to breathe. I collapsed on the ground. Suddenly Agnola comes into my view. I see her mouth moving but I hear nothing. My eyes become heavy and I can't hold them open any longer. Agnola's panic-stricken face was the last thing I saw before I succumb to the darkness.

I awake to a damp cloth being placed on my forehead. I slowly open my eyes to see Agnesia by my side. I look around to see a man with white hair wearing glasses and holding a leather bag, talking to Luca. I notice Agnola is nervously pacing in the corner of the room. I notice my arms are bandaged in a light-colored cloth with red liquid showing through the cloth.

"She has been poisoned, sire. I have managed to get the poison out of her body, but she will still take time to heal. Even though the poison did not fully affect her body, it still did some minor damage that can be easily remedied with time." I hear the man say.

Poisoned? How did I get poisoned? All I had was tea...did someone poison the tea?

Luca takes a deep breath and thanks the man. The man bows and leaves the room. He calls over Agnola. She timidly walks over to the king.

"Speak! What or who did you see before you found Ann?" He asks her.

"Just before I entered the kitchen I crossed paths with two servants who were not of our staff, My lord." She replies.

At this moment, I decided to make my presence known. I softly groan as I try to get up. My arms feel weak and pain shoots up both arms under my weight. Luca and Agnola look and rush over to me. Luca sits on the edge of the bed. His hand clasps mine. Luca looks at me with concern.

"Wh-" I try to speak but it comes out in a rough tone. My throat still tight, but it is much easier to breathe.

"Shh, don't speak. Your throat is swollen from the poison. The doctor managed to get it out of your body by bloodletting, but it will take time for the effects to go away." Luca coos. "Agnola make some broth," Luca commands and Agnola scurries out of the room.

Agnesia reaches over to grab the once damp cloth off my forehead, but Luca stops her.

"Agnola will need some help," he says.

Agnesia looks at me then back at Luca. She bows her head and heads out the door.

I watch as Luca dips the cloth in the washbasin and squeezes the excess water out of the cloth. He gently begins to wipe my face. We stare at each other in silence. He then leans in and kisses my forehead. He pulls away. His face goes from a soft smile to a hard expression. I know what he is thinking.

"I will kill whoever did this to you." He says darkly. I know this is to be a promise. "Agnola said that she saw servants leave the kitchen that wasn't of my staff."  I nod my head. His face changes into realization as he thinks of the only probable person in the castle who could want me dead.

"Princess Ayla."

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 28

𝒯𝓇𝒶𝓃𝓈𝓁𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃(𝐼𝓃 𝑜𝓇𝒹𝑒𝓇 𝑜𝒻 𝒶𝓅𝓅𝑒𝒶𝓇𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒):

No translations for this chapter

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: How was chapter 28? Don't forget to vote and comment. I really appreciate it! Ciao! See you next week! :)