ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 6

Published 4/13/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

The sound of knocking woke me from my sleep. I pull the covers back and swing my legs over the side of the bed. I notice the sky is still dark outside, which I can only assume it's early. I rub the sleep from my eyes. I answer the door. It's Agnesia. "I must help you get ready." She walks into my room and opens my chest to pull out my clothes.

I walk over to the water basin and I begin to wash my face. I dry my face and sit on the edge of my bed with Agnesia.

"Are you nervous?" She asks while pulling my hair up in a low bun with a ribbon. "Very much so," I squeak out.

My mind reminds me about what happened yesterday with that glint in his eye and how he ordered for that man to be executed without even hearing him out. I shudder at the thought.

"You will be fine, just obey him and stay out of his way." Agnesia helps me into the dress and ties my corset. Once done with the finishing touches, we walk into the kitchen where Agnola is making food for who I can only imagine is for the King.

"Ah, you're awake." She arranges the food on the tray and sets it on a tray. The breakfast consists of ove plene, a custard tart, a side of fruit and a cup of mulberry juice. There is also a key on the tray as well.

Agnola quickly hands me the tray. "Now you mustn't be late. His Majesty is very particular about punctuality." She ushers me out of the kitchen.

I make my way up the stairs to the main level of the castle. The halls were eerily quiet and dimly lit. A few servants were up and about the castle, doing their duties. I find myself at the wing stairs. I start to ascend the stairs. Nerves begin to stir within me; at the thought that I will work under the King's watchful eyes. Before I know it, I am in front of his door.

I raise my trembling hand to the lock. I insert the key and turn it. I take a deep breath before I open the door. I am welcomed by darkness, "Y-Your Majesty?" I stammer out as I take a step into the room.

I begin to take light steps, for I can't imagine the room to know what obstacles might be lurking.

Once I feel a smooth surface of the table, I place the tray down and place my hands out. I feel for the soft fabric of the curtains. My fingers skim over the soft fabric and I pull it back to let the dawn of the morning shine throughout the room.

I notice the King is still in bed. I admire his features from afar. While asleep, you forget that this man is a monster. His features seem softer than that of when I met him yesterday. He was cold and stern.

I begin to look around the room to familiarize myself with the layout. There is a fireplace to the right his bed. On top of the fireplace, there was a candelabra and a picture frame of the late king and queen.

In the middle of the room, there is a table which I set the food on and 2 chairs on either side. There was also a connected bathroom and the King's wardrobe across from his bed.

I open the wardrobe and can't help but admire the different fabrics and animal skins. "What are you doing?" a voice bellowed.

I flinch at the voice and slowly turn around. I keep my head down. "I asked what are you doing?" he asked again. I hear him get out of bed and walk towards me. His arm goes into the wardrobe behind me, which I forgot I was standing in front of.

He pulls out a silk robe. "I asked you a question." Suddenly my eyes are lifted off the floor and meet his blue eyes.

"I brought you breakfast, Your Grace." I uttered in a small voice.

His lips pull into a small smile, "Good." He walks toward the table, and I let out a breath that I didn't realize I was holding in. 

I stand quietly in the corner of the room, waiting for him to tell me what I should do next. "I assume Agnesia told you of your duties, corretto? (Correct?)" He asks, while spooning eggs into his mouth.

"Si (Yes), Your Majesty." I keep my eyes focused on the floor. I hear him sigh, "look at me," he commands.

I slowly lift my eyes to meet his once again. For a moment, I am entranced. I couldn't bring myself to look away. His eyes couldn't leave mine, either. For a moment, there was a hint of softness in his eyes, not the hard look that he wore. Soon that softness turned back into the ossified mask that he always wore.

"Make the bed and draw the bath." I curtsy and begin to do as I'm told. I walk over to his bed and pull the sheets. I fluff the pillows and smooth out the blankets. I walk into the bathroom. It was more lavish than those in a traditional commoner's home.

There is a tub with white cloth lined on the inside. I strike the fire steel to make the fire, to warm up the pot full of water. Once warm, I pour it into the tub. I continue to do this until the tub is half full. I pour some fragrant oils into the water as well.

I step out of the bathroom, "Your bath is ready, My Lord." I see that he is done with his breakfast.

"Perfect, fetch Lorenzo. I wish to get ready for the day." He says while stepping into the bathroom. I curtsy again and grab the tray off the table. I make my way to the door, but a voice stops me.

"What is your name?" I am stunned. The King wishes to know his chamber maid's name?!

"Annalise, Your Majesty."

"Annalise seems like a long name. What do you wish me to call you?"

"You may call me whatever you wish, Your Grace."

"But what do people call you? Surely you have another name." He states.

"Others call me Ann."

"Ann..." he tests out my name and I feel a shiver run down my spine.

I curtsy once more and walk out the door. I walk a few steps and then his voice calls out. "Ann," I turn around at the call of my name. "Be sure to return with Lorenzo. You are going to be with me for the rest of the day." I nod and continue on my trek.

𝔢𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 6

𝒯𝓇𝒶𝓃𝓈𝓁𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃𝓈(𝒪𝓇𝒹𝑒𝓇 𝑜𝒻 𝒶𝓅𝓅𝑒𝒶𝓇𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒):

"...ove plene..." - Cheese stuffed eggs(Medieval Cuisine)

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: How was Chapter 6? Please don't be a silent reader! Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!