ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 7

Published  4/20/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

I arrive in the kitchen. I noticed that the kitchen is busy as it was yesterday. I see Agnesia is talking with another servant. She notices me, "How did it go?" She grabs the tray out of my grasp and hands it to the servant she was just talking to.

"I suppose it went well," I say while looking around the kitchen, not focused on Agnesia. "Who are you looking for?" She asked curiously. "A man named Lorzenzo."

"Lorenzo!" Agnesia announces. Suddenly, a man in a black tunic appeared at her side. "Si?"

"You are wanted by His Majesty," I say to Lorenzo. He gives me a curt nod and begins to walk up the stairs. I walk, trying to keep up with him.

I find Lorenzo to be a man of  few words. When I asked him questions, he only seemed to answer with 'si' or 'no'. When asked a question that required more than yes or no, he simply gave me a look that said he simply did not want to speak.

Once we reached the king's room, Lorenzo told me to wait for the king to come out. While I wait, I notice right across the king's chambers is a portrait of the late king and queen. The king wore his dark robes and jewels with a royal scepter with their family crest on top. The king looked like a stern ruler, even though It was a portrait, I could tell he ruled this kingdom with an iron grip. His majesty must follow his father's way of ruling.

The late queen differed completely from that of her husband. She was the light to his darkness, literally and figuratively. She wore a white dress which was a contrast to the king's dark robes. Her eyes held a kindness about them that was warm and comforting.

Suddenly, I hear the door open and I turn around with my head bowed low. "You are dismissed Lorenzo. Ann will fetch you when you are needed later." Lorenzo politely bows and leaves the wing.

The king walks down the hallway and I follow suit. We walk in silence and my thoughts drifted to my parents. Are they alright? Did they make it to the English Kingdom? Many questions and scenarios fill my brain. I am lost in thought when I hear my name being called.

My thoughts vanish and I realize that I am now in a different room, the library. "Do you not hear what I asked?" He asks in a disapproving tone. "No, My Lord."

He sighs,"Tell me what is so important that has your attention?"

"I was thinking of my parents, Your Grace," I say in a low tone.

"You mustn't think of your old life. You work for me in my home. I do not want this to happen again, do you understand?" I feel my throat tighten at his stern command, making my voice become stuck in my throat. I nod my head.

"Bene (Good), now fetch me some tea," he commands. I nod and scurry out of the library.

Once I have to tea from the kitchen, I take it back to the library. I set the cup on the desk in front of him. I gently start to pour the hot tea from the kettle into the cup. When I am done pouring, I set the kettle to the side. I take a step back into the corner.

I watch the king at his desk, reading and writing paperwork, occasionally sipping on his tea. The desk is situated in front of the large curtained window that looks out to the courtyard, which has a maze in the middle of it. I start to look around the library.

It had tall ceilings with gold designs and paintings all around. It had a masculine touch by the dark colors used. The shelves were filled with books that appeared to be in need of dusting.

I grabbed the duster that was in my apron pocket that Agnesia gave to me earlier. I begin to dust the nearest shelf. After dusting a few other shelves, my fingertips graze over the spines and feel the lifted words. The shelves were filled with books from every subject. I pick up a book that has a red cover with black lettering.

With the book in hand, I lower to the floor to sit and begin to read.

Later I look up from the pages of the book to find the king standing, leaning against the shelf with intense eyes. I quickly get up, "Sorry Your Grace, I did not hear you call." He pushes off the shelf and walks toward me. "No need. It was quiet, so I decided to see what kept you from your duties... again." He leans towards me with a small smile.

I cast my eyes downward. I mutter a 'it won't happen again', and start to put book the book back in its place.

His hand stops mine. I feel sparks creep up my arm and snatch my hand away. He clears his throat. "Do you like to read?" My eyes look up and I nod. "Well then, you may use the library whenever you wish, only if you are done with your duties for the day." I give him a large grin and say 'Grazie, Maestá' (Thank you, Your Majesty).

For the rest of the time, I continued to dust the aisle of books and the king continued to read his papers.

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 7

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: How was chapter 7? Please don't be a silent reader! Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! Don't forget to upvote!! Bye! See you next Monday! :)