ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 19

Published 7/27/20

𝐿𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇! 𝐸𝓃𝒿𝑜𝓎!

Annalise/Ann's POV

I was putting the clean linen and clothes on the clothesline. I turned my back to get clothes out of the basket. Suddenly I feel a hand on my shoulder. I screamed, my heart leaped out of my chest. I quickly spun around to see Matteo laughing.

"You scemo! (Fool!)" I chuckled while hitting him.

"I have not seen you, come va? (How are you doing?)" He continued to chuckle.

"Good, all things considered, I guess." I continued to put clothes on the line.

"Have you gone back to your normal duties?"

"No," My thoughts drifted to Luca. Is it wrong that I miss being around him? I shook my head to get rid of the thought. I should not be thinking of His Majesty like this.

Matteo grabbed my wrist. My eyes drifted to him. He gently pulled my arm to him. He cocked his head in a direction,meaning he wanted me to follow.

"But Matteo, what about the clothes?" I asked as he dragged me away.

"Do not worry, you can finish it later."

He led me to the practice square, where the knights practice sword fighting and combat. He walked to one side, unsheathed his sword and pointed at me. I pushed my head back and looked at him confused. He throw one of the practice swords in the middle.

"Dai(Come on)," he said while directing his sword to the one in the middle.

I take light steps toward the sword. I bend down to pick up the sword. I wrapped my hand around the handle and picked it up. The sword was heavy. I grunted while trying to hold it up. I could feel my muscles tightening while holding it. "Why are we doing this?"

"To take your mind off whatever is up there," he tapped his temple."I will go easy on you."

He positioned his sword at an angle in front of him. I came at him. He easily blocked my sword. He pushed back to create distance between us. He slowly walked around me. My eyes followed him. He came at me, with one swift movement he hit my arm and wrist, making me drop my sword. I bent down to pick it up. Suddenly I felt a sharp prick on my butt, making me yelp and stand up straight. His sword was at my throat. That was a distraction, I thought.

Matteo smirked and picked up my fallen sword. "I win," he said with a smile. I huffed and squinted my eyes at him.

"You won unfairly Matteo. You distracted me."

"That was the point, topolina (little mouse). You must distract your opponent, then you can strike." He emphasized on the word 'strike' while pulling his arm toward him in a bent position. I laughed at him and shook my head. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a figure. My head turns toward to see Luca standing on the balcony of his study, staring at us. More specifically he appears to be staring at me. He stares for a moment then turns around to head back in his study.

It was in the middle of the night and I kept tossing in bed. I could not fall asleep. My mind kept drifting to Luca. Why was he staring at me today?

I heard the sound of the harpsichord echo in the empty halls. Before I knew It, I was following the sound which led me to the ballroom. The door was slightly ajar. I peeked through to see someone sitting on the bench at the harpsichord. The floorboard slightly creaked under weight. I bit my lip, hoping whoever this was would not know I was here.

 I bit my lip, hoping whoever this was would not know I was here

"Whoever is listening, you can come out." A deep voice said. It was the King. I quickly entered the ballroom. I bowed,"Sorry Your Majesty, I heard the sound of the harpsichord and I wanted to see who was playing in the middle of the night. Forgive me, I did not know it was you. I will take my leave." I turned around to leave but his voice made me halt.

"No, Please keep me company."

I did but it was silent, he did not play. Finally he said, "How is your back?"

"Much better. Thank you, Your Ma-" Suddenly I recalled what he said to me before the lashing.

"I wish you would stop calling me your majesty while we are not in public."

"Luca," the corner of his mouth lifted as I said his name.

"Do you play?" He asked. I shook my head. "Come, I'll teach you." He motioned me over. He moved over on the bench to make room for me.

"Place your hand here," he grabbed my hand and placed it on the white keys. "Just follow me."

He played a chord then waited for me to follow suit. I smiled softly as I played them correctly.

He played the next few notes. I played the first note correctly, but got the other two wrong. The wrong notes reverberated throughout the ballroom.

"Like this," he leaned closer and his hand covers my small hand. I felt the light pressure of his hands pressing down on the keys. I smiled at the notes being played and turned my head toward him. My smile faltered as I noticed how close his face was to mine, merely inches away.

His blue eyes captured mine. His eyes flickered from my eyes to my lips. I found myself doing the same. He was slowly leaning in and so was I. Then I snapped out of the trance and looked down at the keys. He cleared his throat and took his hand off mine.

"I should go to sleep

"I should go to sleep. It is rather late. Goodnight."

He got up from the bench and left the room.

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 19

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: How was chapter 19? Hopefully you enjoyed it! Your votes/comments would be greatly appreciated! Honestly I think this Is my favorite chapter so far! Anyway see you next time! Bye!