ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 2

Annalise/Ann's POV

We made it to the town square, where villagers were gathered with their families; waiting for what's to come next. The knight that was behind us dismounted his horse and walked toward another knight that seemed to be the commendatore (commander). He whispers something into his ear, his eyes glance at my mother and I.

He walked over to the fountain that was in the middle of the square. "Ascoltatemi, contadini! (Listen to me, peasants!)," he announces in an indifferent tone. The people become quiet.

"By order of the His Majesty, we are to burn down the village, due to you not being able to pay your florin as the king demands." The villagers started to plea with the commendatore. He ignored their pleas and gave one knight a curt nod.

My eyes followed the knight with the brown hair. He grabbed a torch and set the nearest houses on fire that weren't already burned. Suddenly, I saw another knight stab one villager nearby. Everyone panicked. I saw people trying to run, but then immediately fall to the ground when knights on horseback instantly surrounded them.

Before I knew it, my voice rung out of my throat, "STOP!" Everyone becomes quiet and looks for the source of the voice. "Chi ha detto questo? (Who said that?) Come out and show yourself. Who dares defy the king's order?" The commendatore said with a belligerent tone.

Just when I was about to step out from among the crowd, a hand grabbed my wrist, halting me. I looked to see it was no other than my mother. I looked into her eyes; it was as if she was saying, 'stop, don't do this.'

I gave her a reassuring smile and unhooked her hand from my wrist. I had to do this to save my family and my village. I cannot let these people lose their homes and what was left of their families. I made my way to the edge of the crowd of villagers, who looked at me with pity. Not knowing what will become of me.

Finally, I step out of the crowd, "I did". I tried to muster up a firm voice with all my strength. The commander looked shocked at the sight of me, a young woman trying to save her village. But that look of shock changed to a smirk.

"Ahh, look what we have here, men. A topolina (Little mouse) trying to save her village?" He mocked. "per favore (Please), sir," I begin.

"Spare my village! Please take me as an exchange." The knight looks to be thinking of my deal. He looks at the other knights, "Legatela! (Tie her up!)"

The knight with the brown hair walks over to me and begins to tie my wrists together. I quickly study his features. He had hazel eyes. His nose was narrow, and thin; perfect for his oval face with his chiseled jawline.

"Ascolta! (Listen!) Be grateful that this girl gave herself up to spare your pathetic village." The commander exclaims.

He walks over to me, "You do not know what's in store for you, girl." He looks me up and down, "The king might have some fun with you."

He laughs while tying the other end of my rope to his saddle. I swallowed the bile that I felt come up at his remark. 'Porco! (Pig!)', I thought to myself. He mounts his horse and the other knights follow suit. I look at my mother, trying to memorize her and my father's face. For I fear I will never see them again.

The commander flicks his horse's reins; the horse walks, pulling me along. A tear runs down my face. Not just my parents, but at the thought of uncertainty of what will happen to me once we reach the castle.

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 2

𝓃𝑜𝓉𝑒: Hoped you liked this chapter! Don't forget to upvote! :)

*Florin is a type of Italian currency back in those days!*

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!