ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 5

Published 4/6/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

"You have seen the kitchen and the servant quarters," Agnesia says while leading me through the hall. We stop at a huge wooden door with iron handles. We each grab one handle and pull. We walk into a enormous room with 2 long tables that appear to seat 30 people.

"This is the Great Hall. The King uses this room when he has parties, which is most likely when his friend, Marco of Aragon, comes to visit." I nod. Marco of Aragon is next in line for the throne. Some girls were talking about him when he was here at the castle last.

I remember they said that he was so handsome. They giggled and continued to talk about how he probably bedded his female staff.

Aside from the 2 long tables, the room had large arched windows that looked out to one part of the courtyard. There were candle-lit chandeliers that hung from the ceiling, and a fireplace on one wall. The room was dark without the candles.

Agnesia walks over to another door behind one of the tables. This door differed from the last one we entered through. The door had gold trimmings around it and the handle was also gold.

We enter the room. It had marble floors. Throughout the room, it had another set of candle-lit chandeliers that hung. It also had French style doors that led out to a long balcony.

There was a huge staircase that goes to the main entrance and one for His Majesty. The walls had gold designs, much like the door. The ceiling was painted with pictures that depicted angels. There was a stage with chairs lined up for the orchestra.

"As you probably have gathered by now, this is the Ballroom. I absolutely love this room," she said with a happy glint in her eye. "All the nobles gather in this room to eat, drink and dance. I cannot wait for the next party." Agnesia says with a sigh.

After a few moments of her going on about what happened during the past parties here, she remembers to show me where I am going to work.

"Follow me!" She scurries out of the ballroom and up the stairs that part into two directions, right and left. We turn to the right.

"The left wing is for guests who stay in the palace. The right wing is the King's quarters. The only ones that are allowed into the royal chambers are some servants, guards, and, of course, the future Queen." I notice that the guest chambers are brightly lit and the other were dimly lit.

We ascend the stairs that lead into the right wing. As soon as we reach it, I could feel the atmosphere change. It feels cold and I have a sense of eeriness that crawls up my spine. Light goosebumps form on my arms. The wing was beautiful, yet haunting. The floor was dark wood that was carpeted.

The only light that is provided is the few flickering candles on the wall. I remind myself to light some more tomorrow. We reach a wooden door and a metal door. "This is where you will work from here forward."

"Can we go inside?" I ask meekly. "No, I do not have the key. His Majesty will have it for you tomorrow."

She begins to walk the way we came. For the rest of the time, she showed me around the castle that was accessible to servants like the gardens and the stables. We head back to the kitchen and ate dinner. I met some more servants and played some card games.

After dinner, we all bid our goodnights and retire for the evening. Once in my room, I strip off my dress and set it on the chair, ready for tomorrow. I lay in bed, thinking of my parents, hoping that they are alright and safe in the English Kingdom. I feel my eyes grow heavy and succumb to sleep.

𝕰𝖓𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 5

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: How was chapter 5? Don't be a silent reader! Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hope everyone is staying safe!

𝒯𝓇𝒶𝓃𝓈𝓁𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃𝓈:

No translations for this chapter